Ultrafast electron microscopy (UEM) has been demonstrated as an effective table-top technique for imaging the temporally evolving dynamics of matter with a subparticle spatial resolution on the timescale of atomic motion. However, imaging the faster motion of electron dynamics in real time has remained beyond reach. Here we demonstrate more than an order of magnitude (16 times) enhancement in the typical temporal resolution of UEM by generating isolated ∼30 fs electron pulses, accelerated at 200 keV, via the optical-gating approach, with sufficient intensity to probe efficiently the electronic dynamics of matter. Moreover, we investigate the feasibility of attosecond optical gating to generate isolated subfemtosecond electron pulses and attain the desired temporal resolution in electron microscopy to establish ‘attomicroscopy’ to allow the imaging of electron motion in the act.
At a glance
- Direct imaging of transient molecular structures with ultrafast diffraction. Science 291, 458–462 (2001). et al.
- Dark structures in molecular radiationless transitions determined by ultrafast diffraction. Science 307, 558–563 (2005). et al.
- Mapping molecular motions leading to charge delocalization with ultrabright electrons. Nature 496, 343–346 (2013). et al.
- Atomistic picture of charge density wave formation at surfaces. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 186101 (2012). et al.
- Dynamics of chemical bonding mapped by energy-resolved 4D electron microscopy. Science 325, 181–184 (2009). , &
- 4D visualization of transitional structures in phase transformations by electron diffraction. Science 318, 788–792 (2007). , &
- Snapshots of cooperative atomic motions in the optical suppression of charge density waves. Nature 468, 799–802 (2010). et al.
- A photoinduced metal-like phase of monoclinic VO2 revealed by ultrafast electron diffraction. Science 346, 445–448 (2014). et al.
- Mega-electron-volt ultrafast electron diffraction at SLAC national accelerator laboratory. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 86, 073702 (2015). et al.
- Diffractive imaging of a rotational wavepacket in nitrogen molecules with femtosecond megaelectronvolt electron pulses. Nat. Commun. 7, 11232 (2016). et al.
- Optical attosecond pulses and tracking the nonlinear response of bound electrons. Nature 530, 66–70 (2016). et al.
- Real-time observation of valence electron motion. Nature 466, 739–743 (2010). et al.
- Ultrafast electron dynamics in phenylalanine initiated by attosecond pulses. Science 346, 336–339 (2014). et al.
- Ultrafast tryptophan-to-heme electron transfer in myoglobins revealed by UV 2D spectroscopy. Science 339, 1586–1589 (2013). , , &
- Sub-laser-cycle electron pulses for probing molecular dynamics. Nature 417, 917–922 (2002). et al.
- Attosecond spectroscopy in condensed matter. Nature 449, 1029–1032 (2007). et al.
- Compression of subrelativistic space-charge-dominated electron bunches for single-shot femtosecond electron diffraction. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 264801 (2010). et al.
- Ultrafast electron diffraction with radio-frequency compressed electron pulses. Appl. Phys. Lett. 101, 081901 (2012). , , &
- All-optical control and metrology of electron pulses. Science 352, 429–433 (2016). et al.
- An atomic-level view of melting using femtosecond electron diffraction. Science 302, 1382–1385 (2003). , , &
- The formation of warm dense matter: experimental evidence for electronic bond hardening in gold. Science 323, 1033–1037 (2009). et al.
- Detecting electron motion in atoms and molecules. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 263201 (2010). &
- Atomic-scale diffractive imaging of sub-cycle electron dynamics in condensed matter. Sci. Rep. 5, 14581 (2015). , , &
- Photon-induced near-field electron microscopy. Nature 462, 902–906 (2009). , &
- Photon-induced near-field electron microscopy (PINEM): theoretical and experimental. New J. Phys. 12, 103021 (2010). , &
- Quantum coherent optical phase modulation in an ultrafast transmission electron microscope. Nature 521, 200–203 (2015). et al.
- Optical gating and streaking of free electrons with sub-optical cycle precision. Nat. Commun. 8, 14342 (2017). et al.
- Enhancing image contrast and slicing electron pulses in 4D near field electron microscopy. Chem. Phys. Lett. 521, 1–6 (2012). &
- Photon gating in four-dimensional ultrafast electron microscopy. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 112, 12944–12949 (2015). , , &
- Infrared PINEM developed by diffraction in 4D UEM. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 113, 2041–2046 (2016). , &
- Intense few-cycle laser fields: frontiers of nonlinear optics. Rev. Mod. Phys. 72, 545–591 (2000). &
- Terahertz-driven linear electron acceleration. Nat. Commun. 6, 8486 (2015). et al.
- 5-femtosecond laser-electron synchronization for pump–probe crystallography and diffraction. Phys. Rev. Appl. 4, 044013 (2015). et al.
- Femtosecond all-optical synchronization of an X-ray free-electron laser. Nat. Commun. 6, 5938 (2015). et al.
- Attosecond electron pulses for 4D diffraction and microscopy. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104, 18409–18414 (2007). &
- Nanoplasmonics: past, present, and glimpse into future. Opt. Express 19, 22029–22106 (2011).
- Theory of ultrafast phenomena in photoexcited semiconductors. Rev. Mod. Phys. 74, 895–950 (2002). &
- Intense 1.5-cycle near infrared laser waveforms and their use for the generation of ultra-broadband soft-X-ray harmonic continua. New J. Phys. 9, 242 (2007). et al.
- Multiphoton absorption and emission by interaction of swift electrons with evanescent light fields. Nano Lett. 10, 1859–1863 (2010). , &
- Supplementary information (436 KB)