Integrated circuits based on complementary metal-oxide–semiconductors (CMOS) are at the heart of the technological revolution of the past 40 years, enabling compact and low-cost microelectronic circuits and imaging systems. However, the diversification of this platform into applications other than microcircuits and visible-light cameras has been impeded by the difficulty to combine semiconductors other than silicon with CMOS. Here, we report the monolithic integration of a CMOS integrated circuit with graphene, operating as a high-mobility phototransistor. We demonstrate a high-resolution, broadband image sensor and operate it as a digital camera that is sensitive to ultraviolet, visible and infrared light (300–2,000 nm). The demonstrated graphene–CMOS integration is pivotal for incorporating 2D materials into the next-generation microelectronics, sensor arrays, low-power integrated photonics and CMOS imaging systems covering visible, infrared and terahertz frequencies.
At a glance
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors www.itrs2.net (2016).
- Nanometer CMOS (Pan Stanford, 2010). , &
- CMOS image sensors: state-of-the-art. Solid. State. Electron. 52, 1401–1406 (2008).
- Canon develops APS-H-size CMOS sensor with approximately 250 megapixels, the world's highest pixel count for its size http://www.canon.com/news/2015/sep07e.html (2015).
- On evolution of CMOS image sensors. In Proc. 8th Int. Conf. Sensing Technology 89–94 (2014). &
- Rationale and challenges for optical interconnects to electronic chips. Proc. IEEE 88, 728–749 (2000).
- Science and technology roadmap for graphene, related two-dimensional crystals, and hybrid systems. Nanoscale 7, 4598–4810 (2014). et al.
- CMOS-compatible graphene photodetector covering all optical communication bands. Nat. Photon. 7, 892–896 (2013). et al.
- Chip-integrated ultrafast graphene photodetector with high responsivity. Nat. Photon. 7, 883–887 (2013). et al.
- High-responsivity graphene/silicon-heterostructure waveguide photodetectors. Nat. Photon. 7, 888–891 (2013). , , , &
- Light-emitting diodes by band-structure engineering in van der Waals heterostructures. Nat. Mater. 14, 301–306 (2015). et al.
- A graphene-based broadband optical modulator. Nature 474, 64–67 (2011). et al.
- 50 GBit/s photodetectors based on wafer-scale graphene for integrated silicon photonic communication systems. ACS Photon. 1, 781–784 (2014). et al.
- Photodetectors based on graphene, other two-dimensional materials and hybrid systems. Nat. Nanotech. 9, 780–793 (2014). et al.
- Oxygen-assisted charge transfer between ZnO quantum dots and graphene. Small 9, 3031–3036 (2013). et al.
- Infrared photodetectors based on CVD-grown graphene and PbS quantum dots with ultrahigh responsivity. Adv. Mater. 24, 5878–5883 (2012). et al.
- Hybrid graphene–quantum dot phototransistors with ultrahigh gain. Nat. Nanotech. 7, 363–368 (2012). et al.
- Photocurrent in graphene harnessed by tunable intrinsic plasmons. Nat. Commun. 4, 1951 (2013). et al.
- Phonon-mediated mid-infrared photoresponse of graphene. Nano Lett. 14, 6374–6381 (2014). et al.
- Sensitive room-temperature terahertz detection via the photothermoelectric effect in graphene. Nat. Nanotech. 9, 814–819 (2014). et al.
- Graphene field-effect transistors as room-temperature terahertz detectors. Nat. Mater. 11, 865–871 (2012). et al.
- Ultra-sensitive Hall sensors based on graphene encapsulated in hexagonal boron nitride. Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 193501 (2015). et al.
- Graphene/Si CMOS hybrid Hall integrated circuits. Sci. Rep. 4, 5548 (2014). et al.
- Graphene radio frequency receiver integrated circuit. Nat. Commun. 5, 3086 (2014). , , , &
- Graphene ‘microdrums’ on a freestanding perforated thin membrane for high sensitivity MEMS pressure sensors. Nanoscale 8, 7663–7671 (2016). et al.
- Graphene for electrochemical sensing and biosensing. TrAC Trends Anal. Chem. 29, 954–965 (2010). , , , &
- Resistive graphene humidity sensors with rapid and direct electrical readout. Nanoscale 7, 19099–19109 (2015). et al.
- High-frequency, scaled graphene transistors on diamond-like carbon. Nature 472, 74–78 (2011). et al.
- Single-layer MoS2 transistors. Nat. Nanotech. 6, 147–150 (2011). , , , &
- Large-area synthesis of high-quality and uniform graphene films on copper foils. Science 324, 1312–1314 (2009). et al.
- Production and processing of graphene and 2d crystals. Mater. Today 15, 564–589 (December, 2012). et al.
- Toward 300 mm wafer-scalable high-performance polycrystalline chemical vapor deposited graphene transistors. ACS Nano 8, 10471–10479 (2014). et al.
- Hyperspectral Imaging Systems Market by Application & Component – 2021 (marketsandmarkets.com, 2017); http://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/hyperspectral-imaging-market-246979343.html
- Short-wavelength near-infrared spectra of sucrose, glucose, and fructose with respect to sugar concentration and temperature. Appl. Spectrosc. 57, 139–145 (2003). , &
- Near-infrared imaging with quantum-dot-sensitized organic photodiodes. Nat. Photon. 3, 332–336 (2009). et al.
- 1/ƒ noise is no surface effect. Phys. Lett. A 29, 139–140 (1969).
- Ultimate absolute Hooge parameter for semiconductors and graphene. In Int. Conf. Noise and Fluctuations (ICNF) 1–4 (IEEE, 2015). , , , &
- Integrating an electrically active colloidal quantum dot photodiode with a graphene phototransistor. Nat. Commun. 7, 11954 (2016). et al.
- Ultrahigh-mobility graphene devices from chemical vapor deposition on reusable copper. Sci. Adv. 1, e1500222 (2015). et al.
- MoS2–HgTe quantum dot hybrid photodetectors beyond 2 µm. Adv. Mater. 29, 1606576 (2017). , &
- Atmospheric Optical Environment Research and Development Techincal Report ECOM-7023 (US Army Electronics Command, 1972).
- Supplementary information (1,624 KB)