Colloidal quantum dots (CQDs) are emerging as promising materials for constructing infrared sources in view of their tunable luminescence, high quantum efficiency and compatibility with solution processing1. However, CQD films available today suffer from a compromise between luminescence efficiency and charge transport, and this leads to unacceptably high power consumption. Here, we overcome this issue by embedding CQDs in a high-mobility hybrid perovskite matrix. The new composite enhances radiative recombination in the dots by preventing transport-assisted trapping losses; yet does so without increasing the turn-on voltage. Through compositional engineering of the mixed halide matrix, we achieve a record electroluminescence power conversion efficiency of 4.9%. This surpasses the performance of previously reported CQD near-infrared devices two-fold, indicating great potential for this hybrid QD-in-perovskite approach.
At a glance
- Highly efficient near-infrared hybrid organic-inorganic nanocrystal electroluminescence device. Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 90–93 (2008). , , , &
- Bright infrared quantum-dot light-emitting diodes through inter-dot spacing control. Nature Nanotech. 7, 369–373 (2012). et al.
- Quantum dot bioconjugates for imaging, labelling and sensing. Nature Mater. 4, 435–446 (2005). , , &
- Infrared quantum dots. Adv. Mater. 17, 515–522 (2005).
- Phosphorescent dye-based supramolecules for high-efficiency organic light-emitting diodes. Nature Commun. 5, 4769 (2014). et al.
- Recent progress of high performance polymer OLED and OPV materials for organic printed electronics. Sci. Technol. Adv. Mater. 15, 034203 (2014). , , , &
- Emergence of colloidal quantum-dot light-emitting technologies. Nature Photon. 7, 13–23 (2013). , , &
- High-performance shortwave-infrared light-emitting devices using core–shell (PbS–CdS) colloidal quantum dots. Adv. Mater. 27, 1437–1442 (2015). et al.
- Efficient near-infrared polymer nanocrystal light-emitting diodes. Science 295, 1506–1508 (2002). , , , &
- Measuring charge carrier diffusion in coupled colloidal quantum dot solids. ACS Nano 7, 5282–5290 (2013). , , &
- Photogenerated exciton dissociation in highly coupled lead salt nanocrystal assemblies. Nano Lett. 10, 1805–1811 (2010). et al.
- Infrared emitting PbS nanocrystal solids through matrix encapsulation. Chem. Mater. 26, 4256–4264 (2014). et al.
- Charge separation and transport in conjugated-polymer/semiconductor-nanocrystal composites studied by photoluminescence quenching and photoconductivity. Phys. Rev. B 54, 17628–17637 (1996). , &
- 1.3 μm to 1.55 μm tunable electroluminescence from PbSe quantum dots embedded within an organic device. Adv. Mater. 15, 1862–1866 (2003). , , &
- Quantum-dot-in-perovskite solids. Nature 523, 324–328 (2015). et al.
- PbS colloidal quantum dots as an effective hole transporter for planar heterojunction perovskite solar cells. J. Mater. Chem. A 3, 515–518 (2015). et al.
- Compositional engineering of perovskite materials for high-performance solar cells. Nature 517, 476–480 (2015). et al.
- Low trap-state density and long carrier diffusion in organolead trihalide perovskite single crystals. Science 347, 519–522 (2015). et al.
- Colloidal PbS nanocrystals with size-tunable near-infrared emission: observation of post-synthesis self-narrowing of the particle size distribution. Adv. Mater. 15, 1844–1849 (2003). &
- An improved experimental determination of external photoluminescence quantum efficiency. Adv. Mater. 9, 230 (1997). , &
- Long-range balanced electron- and hole-transport lengths in organic-inorganic CH3NH3PbI3. Science 342, 344–347 (2013). et al.
- Modelling polycrystalline semiconductor solar cells. Thin Solid Films 527, 361–362 (2000). , &
- Engineering colloidal quantum dot solids within and beyond the mobility-invariant regime. Nature Commun. 5, 3803 (2014). . et al.
- Supplementary information (1,586 KB)