Photonic quantum technologies allow quantum phenomena to be exploited in applications such as quantum cryptography, quantum simulation and quantum computation. A key requirement for practical devices is the scalable integration of single-photon sources, detectors and linear optical elements on a common platform. Nanophotonic circuits enable the realization of complex linear optical systems, while non-classical light can be measured with waveguide-integrated detectors. However, reproducible single-photon sources with high brightness and compatibility with photonic devices remain elusive for fully integrated systems. Here, we report the observation of antibunching in the light emitted from an electrically driven carbon nanotube embedded within a photonic quantum circuit. Non-classical light generated on chip is recorded under cryogenic conditions with waveguide-integrated superconducting single-photon detectors, without requiring optical filtering. Because exclusively scalable fabrication and deposition methods are used, our results establish carbon nanotubes as promising nanoscale single-photon emitters for hybrid quantum photonic devices.
At a glance
- Single photon quantum cryptography. Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 187901 (2002). et al.
- Photonic quantum technologies. Nat. Photon. 3, 687–695 (2009). , &
- Generating, manipulating and measuring entanglement and mixture with a reconfigurable photonic circuit. Nat. Photon. 6, 45–49 (2011). et al.
- Photonic quantum simulators. Nat. Phys. 8, 285–291 (2012). &
- A variational eigenvalue solver on a photonic quantum processor. Nat. Commun. 5, 4213 (2014). et al.
- Quantum simulation of helium hydride cation in a solid-state spin register. ACS Nano 9, 7769–7774 (2015). et al.
- Experimental boson sampling. Nat. Photon. 7, 540–544 (2013). et al.
- Quantum interference in plasmonic circuits. Nat. Nanotech. 8, 719–722 (2013). , &
- An entangled-light-emitting diode. Nature 465, 594–597 (2010). et al.
- Electrically driven single-photon source at room temperature in diamond. Nat. Photon. 6, 299–303 (2012). et al.
- Ultra-large-scale directed assembly of single-walled carbon nanotube devices. Nano Lett. 7, 1556–1560 (2007). et al.
- Cavity enhanced light emission from electrically driven carbon nanotubes. Nat. Photon. 10, 420–427 (2016). et al.
- Ultralow mode-volume photonic crystal nanobeam cavities for high-efficiency coupling to individual carbon nanotube emitters. Nat. Commun. 5, 5580 (2014). et al.
- Waveguide-integrated light-emitting carbon nanotubes. Adv. Mater. 26, 3465–3472 (2014). , , , &
- Large-scale single-chirality separation of single-wall carbon nanotubes by simple gel chromatography. Nat. Commun. 2, 309 (2011). , , &
- Separation of single-walled carbon nanotubes by 1-dodecanol-mediated size-exclusion chromatography. ACS Nano 7, 3557–3564 (2013). , , &
- Structure-assigned optical spectra of single-walled carbon nanotubes. Science 298, 2361–2366 (2002). et al.
- Electrically induced optical emission from a carbon nanotube FET. Science 300, 783–786 (2003). et al.
- An electrically driven, ultrahigh-speed, on-chip light emitter based on carbon nanotubes. Nano Lett. 14, 3277–3283 (2014). , , &
- Photon antibunching in the photoluminescence spectra of a single carbon nanotube. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 5–8 (2008). , , &
- Bright, long-lived and coherent excitons in carbon nanotube quantum dots. Nat. Nanotech. 8, 502–505 (2013). et al.
- Room-temperature single-photon generation from solitary dopants of carbon nanotubes. Nat. Nanotech. 10, 671–675 (2015). , , , &
- Picosecond superconducting single-photon optical detector. Appl. Phys. Lett. 79, 705–707 (2001). et al.
- High-speed and high-efficiency travelling wave single-photon detectors embedded in nanophotonic circuits. Nat. Commun. 3, 1325 (2012). et al.
- Waveguide superconducting single-photon detectors for integrated quantum photonic circuits. Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 14–17 (2011). et al.
- Deterministic integration of single photon sources in silicon based photonic circuits. Nano Lett. 16, 2289–2294 (2016). et al.
- On-chip generation, routing, and detection of resonance fluorescence. Nano Lett. 15, 5208–5213 (2015). et al.
- Near monochiral single-walled carbon nanotube dispersions in organic solvents. J. Phys. Chem. C 113, 14628–14632 (2009). , , &
- Electroluminescence from a single nanotube–molecule–nanotube junction. Nat. Nanotech. 5, 863–867 (2010). et al.
- Electroluminescence from chirality-sorted (9,7)- semiconducting carbon nanotube devices. Opt. Express 19, 1184–1189 (2011). et al.
- Mapping charge transport by electroluminescence in chirality-selected carbon nanotube networks. ACS Nano 7, 7428–7435 (2013). et al.
- Bright infrared emission from electrically induced excitons in carbon nanotubes. Science 310, 1171–1174 (2005). et al.
- A waveguide-coupled on-chip single-photon source. Phys. Rev. X 2, 011014 (2012). et al.
- Exciton diffusion, end quenching, and exciton–exciton annihilation in individual air-suspended carbon nanotubes. Phys. Rev. B 91, 125427 (2015). , &
- Efficient narrow-band light emission from a single carbon nanotube p–n diode. Nat. Nanotech. 5, 27–31 (2010). et al.
- Supplementary information (1,117 KB)