Ultrasound is among the most widely used non-invasive imaging modalities in biomedicine1, but plays a surprisingly small role in molecular imaging due to a lack of suitable molecular reporters on the nanoscale. Here, we introduce a new class of reporters for ultrasound based on genetically encoded gas nanostructures from microorganisms, including bacteria and archaea. Gas vesicles are gas-filled protein-shelled compartments with typical widths of 45–250 nm and lengths of 100–600 nm that exclude water and are permeable to gas2, 3. We show that gas vesicles produce stable ultrasound contrast that is readily detected in vitro and in vivo, that their genetically encoded physical properties enable multiple modes of imaging, and that contrast enhancement through aggregation permits their use as molecular biosensors.
At a glance
- Use of diagnostic imaging studies and associated radiation exposure for patients enrolled in large integrated health care systems, 1996–2010. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 307, 2400–2409 (2012). et al.
- Gas vesicles. Microbiol. Rev. 58, 94–144 (1994).
- Distribution, formation and regulation of gas vesicles. Nature Rev. Microbiol. 10, 705–715 (2012).
- Ultrasound cardiography—contrast studies in anatomy and function. Radiology 92, 939–948 (1969). , &
- Ultrasound microbubble contrast agents: fundamentals and application to gene and drug delivery. Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 9, 415–447 (2007). , &
- Molecular imaging with targeted contrast ultrasound. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 18, 11–16 (2007). &
- Clinical uses of microbubbles in diagnosis and treatment. Med. Biol. Eng. Comput. 47, 813–826 (2009). &
- Neural progenitor cells labeling with microbubble contrast agent for ultrasound imaging in vivo. Biomaterials 34, 4926–4935 (2013). et al.
- Noninvasive cell-tracking methods. Nature Rev. Clin. Oncol. 8, 677–688 (2011). , &
- Nanoparticles as image enhancing agents for ultrasonography. Phys. Med. Biol. 51, 2179–2189 (2006). et al.
- A novel site-targeted ultrasonic contrast agent with broad biomedical application. Circulation 94, 3334–3340 (1996). et al.
- Hard shell gas-filled contrast enhancement particles for colour Doppler ultrasound imaging of tumors. Medchemcomm 1, 266–270 (2010). et al.
- Acoustic droplet vaporization for therapeutic and diagnostic applications. Ultrasound Med. Biol. 26, 1177–1189 (2000). , , , &
- A molecular imaging primer: modalities, imaging agents, and applications. Physiol. Rev. 92, 897–965 (2012). &
- Gasvakuolen, ein Bestandteil der Zellen der wasserblutenbildenden Phycochromaceen. Flora (Jena) 80, 241–282 (1895).
- Pressure relationships of gas vacuoles. Proc. R. Soc. B 178, 301–326 (1971).
- Harmonic imaging with ultrasound contrast agents. Clin. Radiol. 51, 50–55 (1996).
- Basic acoustic properties of microbubbles. Echocardiography 19, 229–240 (2002). , &
- 223–245 (Springer, 2008). , & in Molecular Imaging I (eds Semmler, W. & Schwaiger, M.)
- Magnetic relaxation switches capable of sensing molecular interactions. Nature Biotechnol. 20, 816–820 (2002). , , , &
- Direct evidence for the role of light-mediated gas vesicle collapse in the buoyancy regulation of Anabaena flos-aquae (cyanobacteria). Limnol. Oceanogr. 29, 879–886 (1984). &
- Flotation characteristics of cyanobacterium Anabaena flos-aquae for gas vesicle production. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 60, 636–641 (1998). , &
- Fate of bacteriophage lambda in non-immune germ-free mice. Nature 246, 221–222 (1973). , &
- Advances in ultrasound biomicroscopy. Ultrasound Med. Biol. 26, 1–27 (2000). , , , &
- Acoustic modeling of shell-encapsulated gas bubbles. Ultrasound Med. Biol. 24, 523–533 (1998). &
- Oscillations of polymeric microbubbles: effect of the encapsulating shell. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 107, 2272–2280 (2000). , &
- Counting bubbles acoustically: a review. Ultrasonics 15, 7–13 (1977).
- Vascular permeability in a human tumor xenograft: molecular size dependence and cutoff size. Cancer Res. 55, 3752–3756 (1995). et al.
- Nanoparticle PEGylation for imaging and therapy. Nanomedicine 6, 715–728 (2011). , , &
- Gas vesicle genes identified in Bacillus megaterium and functional expression in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 180, 2450–2458 (1998). &
- Counting of gas vacuoles by electron microscopy in lysates and purified fractions of Microcystis aeruginosa. Protoplasma 73, 329–335 (1971). , &
- Average thickness of the gas vesicle wall in Anabaena flos-aquae. J. Mol. Biol. 129, 279–285 (1979). &
- Regulatory multidimensionality of gas vesicle biogenesis in Halobacterium salinarum NRC-1. Archaea 2011, 716456 (2011). &