The physics and operating principles of hybrid superconductor–semiconductor devices rest ultimately on the magnetic properties of their elementary subgap excitations, usually called Andreev levels. Here we report a direct measurement of the Zeeman effect on the Andreev levels of a semiconductor quantum dot with large electron g-factor, strongly coupled to a conventional superconductor with a large critical magnetic field. This material combination allows spin degeneracy to be lifted without destroying superconductivity. We show that a spin-split Andreev level crossing the Fermi energy results in a quantum phase transition to a spin-polarized state, which implies a change in the fermionic parity of the system. This crossing manifests itself as a zero-bias conductance anomaly at finite magnetic field with properties that resemble those expected for Majorana modes in a topological superconductor. Although this resemblance is understood without evoking topological superconductivity, the observed parity transitions could be regarded as precursors of Majorana modes in the long-wire limit.
At a glance
- Hybrid superconductor–quantum dot devices. Nature Nanotechnol. 5, 703–711 (2010). , , &
- Cooper pair splitter realized in a two-quantum-dot Y-junction. Nature 461, 960–963 (2009). , , &
- Carbon nanotubes as Cooper pair splitters. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 026801 (2010). et al.
- High-efficiency Cooper pair splitting demonstrated by two-particle conductance resonance and positive noise cross-correlation. Nature Commun. 3, 1165 (2012). et al.
- Carbon nanotube superconducting quantum interference device. Nature Nanotechnol. 1, 53–59 (2006). , , , &
- Generic new platform for topological quantum computation using semiconductor heterostructures. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 040502 (2010). , , &
- Majorana fermions and a topological phase transition in a semiconductor–superconductor. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 077001 (2010). , &
- Helical liquids and Majorana bound states in quantum wires. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 177002 (2010). , &
- Supercurrent reversal in quantum dots. Nature 442, 667–670 (2006). , , , &
- Quantum dot in the Kondo regime coupled to superconductors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 256801 (2002). , &
- Critical current 0–π transition in designed Josephson quantum dot junctions. Nano Lett. 7, 2441–2445 (2007). , , , &
- First-order 0–π quantum phase transition in the Kondo regime of a superconducting carbon nanotube quantum dot. Phys. Rev. X 2, 011009 (2012). et al.
- Andreev reflection versus Coulomb blockade in hybrid semiconductor nanowire devices. Nano Lett. 8, 4098–4102 (2008). , , &
- Interplay of Kondo and superconducting correlations in the nonequilibrium Andreev transport through a quantum dot. Phys. Rev. B 84, 075484 (2011). , &
- Resonant Josephson current through Kondo impurities in a tunnel barrier. JETP Lett. 49, 659 (1989). &
- Josephson coupling through a magnetic impurity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 2788–2791 (1999). &
- Josephson current through a correlated quantum level: Andreev states and π junction behavior. Phys. Rev. B 68, 035105 (2003). , &
- Quantum phase transition in a minimal model for the Kondo effect in a Josephson junction. J. Phys. Soc. Jpn 73, 2494–2504 (2004). , &
- Spectral properties of locally correlated electrons in a Bardeen–Cooper–Schrieffer superconductor. J. Phys. Condens. Matter 19, 486211 (2007). , &
- Kondo effect and Josephson current through a quantum dot between two superconductors. Phys. Rev. B 70, 020502(R) (2004). , , &
- Self-consistent description of Andreev bound states in Josephson quantum dot devices. Phys. Rev. B 79, 224521 (2009). , &
- Meservey–Tedrow–Fulde effect in a quantum dot embedded between metallic and superconducting electrodes. Phys. Rev. B 78, 144515 (2008). , &
- Renormalization effects in interacting quantum dots coupled to superconducting leads. Phys. Rev. B 87, 014509 (2013). , , &
- Electrical control of Kondo effect and superconducting transport in a side-gated InAs quantum dot Josephson junction. Phys. Rev. B 82, 054512 (2010). et al.
- Kondo-enhanced Andreev tunneling in InAs nanowire quantum dots. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 126603 (2007). et al.
- Even–odd effect in Andreev transport through a carbon nanotube quantum dot. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 126602 (2007). et al.
- Andreev bound states in supercurrent-carrying carbon nanotubes revealed. Nature Phys. 6, 965–969 (2010). et al.
- Tunneling spectroscopy of Andreev energy levels in a quantum dot coupled to a superconductor. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 076805 (2010). et al.
- Transport through Andreev bound states in a graphene quantum dot. Nature Phys. 7, 386–390 (2011). et al.
- Zero-bias anomaly in a nanowire quantum dot coupled to superconductors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 186802 (2012). et al.
- Tunneling spectroscopy of quasiparticle bound states in a spinful Josephson junction. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 217005 (2013). , , , &
- Tunneling spectroscopy of a single quantum dot coupled to a superconductor: from Kondo ridge to Andreev bound states. Phys. Rev. B 88, 045101 (2013). , , &
- http://lanl.arXiv.org/1308.1020v1 (2013). et al. Temperature dependence of Andreev spectra in a superconducting carbon nanotube quantum dot. Preprint at
- A Josephson quantum electron pump. Nature Phys. 7, 857–861 (2011). et al.
- Transport spectroscopy of N–S nanowire junctions with Majorana fermions. Phys. Rev. B 86, 180503(R) (2012). , &
- Towards a realistic transport modeling in a superconducting nanowire with Majorana fermions. Phys. Rev. B 87, 024515 (2013). , &
- Splitting of the zero-bias conductance peak as smoking gun evidence for the existence of the Majorana mode in a superconductor–semiconductor nanowire. Phys. Rev. B 86, 220506(R) (2012). , &
- Zero-bias peaks in the tunneling conductance of spin-orbit-coupled superconducting wires with and without Majorana end-states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 267002 (2012). , , &
- Signatures of Majorana fermions in hybrid superconductor–semiconductor nanowire devices. Science 336, 1003–1007 (2012). et al.
- Zero-bias peaks and splitting in an Al–InAs nanowire topological superconductor as a signature of Majorana fermions. Nature Phys. 8, 887–895 (2012). et al.
- Anomalous zero-bias conductance peak in a Nb–InSb nanowire–Nb hybrid device. Nano Lett. 12, 6414–6419 (2012). et al.
- Anomalous modulation of a zero-bias peak in a hybrid nanowire-superconductor device. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 126406 (2012). , , , &
- Superconductor-nanowire devices from tunnelling to multi-channel regime: zero-bias oscillations and magnetoconductance crossover. Phys. Rev. B 87, 242401(R) (2013). et al.
- Dimensional crossover in spin-orbit-coupled semiconductor nanowires with induced superconducting pairing. Phys. Rev. B 87, 094518 (2013). , &
- Proposal for realizing Majorana fermions in chains of magnetic atoms on a superconductor. Phys. Rev. B 88, 020407(R) (2013). , , &
- Topological superconductivity and Majorana fermions in RKKY systems. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 186805 (2013). , , &
- Self-organized topological state with Majorana fermions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 206802 (2013). &
- Interplay between classical magnetic moments and superconductivity in quantum one-dimensional conductors: towards a self-sustained topological Majorana phase. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 147202 (2013). &
- Topological superconducting phase in helical Shiba chains. Phys. Rev. B 88, 155420 (2013). , &
- InAs/InP radial nanowire heterostructures as high electron mobility devices. Nano Lett. 7, 3214–3218 (2007). , , , &
- Supplementary information (1,240 KB)