Plasmons are quantized collective oscillations of electrons and have been observed in metals and doped semiconductors. The plasmons of ordinary, massive electrons have been the basic ingredients of research in plasmonics and in optical metamaterials for a long time1. However, plasmons of massless Dirac electrons have only recently been observed in graphene, a purely two-dimensional electron system2. Their properties are promising for novel tunable plasmonic metamaterials in the terahertz and mid-infrared frequency range3. Dirac fermions also occur in the two-dimensional electron gas that forms at the surface of topological insulators as a result of the strong spin–orbit interaction existing in the insulating bulk phase4. One may therefore look for their collective excitations using infrared spectroscopy. Here we report the first experimental evidence of plasmonic excitations in a topological insulator (Bi2Se3). The material was prepared in thin micro-ribbon arrays of different widths W and periods 2W to select suitable values of the plasmon wavevector k. The linewidth of the plasmon was found to remain nearly constant at temperatures between 6 K and 300 K, as expected when exciting topological carriers. Moreover, by changing W and measuring the plasmon frequency in the terahertz range versus k we show, without using any fitting parameter, that the dispersion curve agrees quantitatively with that predicted for Dirac plasmons.
At a glance
- 2007). Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications (Springer,
- Graphene plasmonics for tunable terahertz metamaterials. Nature Nanotech. 6, 630–634 (2011). et al.
- Graphene plasmonics. Nature Photon. 6, 749–758 (2012). , &
- Colloquium: topological insulators. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 3045–3067 (2010). &
- Quantum spin Hall effect in graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 226801 (2005). &
- The birth of topological insulators. Nature 464, 194–198 (2010).
- Computing with quantum knots. Sci. Am. 294, 57–63 (2006).
- Topological entanglement entropy. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 110404 (2006). &
- Topological insulators for high-performance terahertz to infrared applications. Phys. Rev. B 82, 245107 (2010). , &
- Experimental realization of a three-dimensional topological insulator, Bi2Te3. Science 325, 178–181 (2009). et al.
- Observation of the two-dimensional plasmon in silicon inversion layers. Phys. Rev. Lett. 38, 980–983 (1977). , &
- Graphene plasmonics: a platform for strong light–matter interactions. Nano Lett. 11, 3370–3377 (2011). , &
- Edge and waveguide terahertz surface plasmon modes in graphene microribbons. Phys. Rev. B 84, 161407 (2011). , , &
- Surface plasmon enhanced absorption and suppressed transmission in periodic arrays of graphene ribbons. Phys. Rev. B 85, 081405(R) (2012). , &
- Thickness-independent transport channels in topological insulator Bi2Se3 thin films. Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 116804 (2012). , , , &
- Epitaxial growth of topological insulator Bi2Se3 thin film on Si(111) with atomically sharp interface. Thin Solid Film 520, 224–229 (2011). , et al.
- Optical conductivity of bismuth-based topological insulators. Phys. Rev. B 86, 4701 (2012). et al.
- THz response and colossal Kerr rotation from the surface states of the topological insulator Bi2Se3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 045439 (2012). et al.
- Infrared nanoscopy of Dirac plasmons at the graphene–SiO2 interface. Nano Lett. 11, 4701–4705 (2011). et al.
- Fano resonances in nanoscale plasmonic systems: a parameter-free modeling approach. Nano Lett. 11, 2835–2840 (2011). , , , &
- On the vibration of the electronic plasma. J. Phys. USSR 10, 25 (1946).
- Damping pathways of mid-infrared plasmons in graphene nanostructures. Nature Photon. 7, 394–399 (2013). et al.
- Coherent phonon–plasmon modes in GaAs:Alx Ga1–xAs heterostructures. Phys. Rev. B 53, R16140–R16143 (1996). &
- Generation and relaxation of coherent majority plasmons. Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 4062–4065 (1996). , , , &
- Measurement of an exceptionally weak electron–phonon coupling on the surface of the topological insulator Bi2Se3 using angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 187001 (2012). et al.,
- Electron–phonon coupling on the surface of the topological insulator Bi2Se3 determined from surface-phonon dispersion measurements. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 185501 (2012). et al.
- Double-layer graphene and topological insulator thin-film plasmons. Phys. Rev. B 85, 085443 (2012). et al.
- Collective modes of the massless Dirac plasma. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 206412 (2009). &
- In-plane helical orbital texture switch near the Dirac point in the topological insulator Bi2Se3. Preprint at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1209.1016 (2012). , et al.
- Supplementary information (624 KB)