The prevention of tooth decay and the treatment of lesions and cavities are ongoing challenges in dentistry. In recent years, biomimetic approaches have been used to develop nanomaterials for inclusion in a variety of oral health-care products. Examples include liquids and pastes that contain nano-apatites for biofilm management at the tooth surface, and products that contain nanomaterials for the remineralization of early submicrometre-sized enamel lesions. However, the treatment of larger visible cavities with nanomaterials is still at the research stage. Here, we review progress in the development of nanomaterials for different applications in preventive dentistry and research, including clinical trials.
At a glance
- Dental caries. Lancet 369, 51–59 (2007). , &
- Caries ecology revisited: microbial dynamics and the caries process. Caries Res. 42, 409–418 (2008).
- Oral biofilms: emerging concepts in microbial ecology. J. Dent. Res. 89, 8–18 (2010).
- The oral cavity - a key system to understand substratum-dependent bioadhesion on solid surfaces in man. Clin. Oral Investig. 13, 123–139 (2009). &
- Bacterial interactions and successions during plaque development. Periodontol. 2000 42, 47–79 (2006). et al.
- Molecular biomimetics: nanotechnology through biology. Nature Mater. 2, 577–585 (2003). , , , &
- Nanotechnology for regenerative medicine. Biomed. Microdevices doi:10.1007/s10544-008-9264–6 (2008). , , , &
- Self-cleaning surfaces-virtual realities. Nature Mater. 2, 301–306 (2003).
- The dream of staying clean: Lotus and biomimetic surfaces. Bioinspir. Biomim. 2, 126–134 (2007). , , , &
- Influence of nanocomposite surface coating on biofilm formation in situ . J. Nanosci. Nanotechnol. 7, 4642–4648 (2007). , , , &
- Surface behaviour of biomaterials: the theta surface for biocompatibility. J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Med. 17, 1057–1062 (2006).
- Characterization of oral films formed in the presence of a CPP-ACP agent: an in situ study. J. Dent. 36, 272–280 (2008). , &
- Retention in plaque and remineralization of enamel lesions by various forms of calcium in a mouthrinse or sugar-free chewing gum. J. Dent. Res. 82, 206–211 (2003).
, , &
- Calcium phosphate-based remineralization systems: scientific evidence? Aust. Dent. J. 53, 268–273 (2008).
- Remineralization of enamel subsurface lesions by casein phosphopeptide-stabilized calcium phosphate solutions. J. Dent. Res. 76, 1587–1595 (1997).
- Casein phosphopeptides in oral health - chemistry and clinical applications. Curr. Pharm. Des. 13, 793–800 (2007). , &
- Binding characteristics of streptococcus mutans for calcium and casein phosphopeptide. Caries Res. 34, 427–431 (2000).
- Calcium modulates interactions between bacteria and hydroxyapatite. J. Dent. Res. 85, 1124–1128 (2006). , , , &
- Biomechanical perspective on the remineralization of dentin. Caries Res. 43, 70–77 (2009). , , , &
- New observations of the hierarchical structure of human enamel, from nanoscale to microscale. J. Tissue Eng. Regen. Med. 1, 185–191 (2007). &
- Mimicking the self-organized microstructure of tooth enamel. J. Phys. Chem. C 112, 5892–5899 (2008). , , , &
- The dentin-enamel junction and the fracture of human teeth. Nature Mater. 4, 229–232 (2005). , , , &
- The effect of acidic beverages on the ultrastructure of the acquired pellicle - an in situ study. Arch. Oral. Biol. 54, 518–526 (2009). , , &
- The anticariogenic effect of sugar-free gum containing CPP-ACP nanocomplexes on approximal caries determined using digital bitewing radiography. Caries Res. 42, 171–184 (2008).
- Effect of addition of citric acid and casein phosphopeptide orphous calcium phosphate to a sugar-free chewing gum on enamel remineralization in situ . Caries Res. 41, 377–383 (2007).
- Acid resistance of enamel subsurface lesions remineralized by a sugar-free chewing gum containing casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate. Caries Res. 38, 551–556 (2004).
- Physicochemical characterization of casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate nanocomplexes. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 15362–15369 (2005). , , , &
- Fluoride and casein phosphopeptide-amorphous calcium phosphate. J. Dent. Res. 87, 344–348 (2008).
- Synthetic biomimetic carbonate-hydroxyapatite nanocrystals for enamel remineralization. Adv. Mater. Res. 47–50, 821–824 (2008). et al.
- Repair of enamel by using hydroxyapatite nanoparticles as the building blocks. J. Mater. Chem. 18, 4079–4084 (2008). et al.
- The role of biomimetism in developing nanostructured inorganic matrices for drug delivery. Expert Opin. Drug Deliv. 5, 861–877 (2008). , &
- Surface enamel remineralisation: biomimetic apatite nanocrystals and fluoride ions different effects. J. Nanomaterials 2009, 746383 (2009). et al.
- Remineralization effect of the nano-HA toothpaste on artificial caries. Key Eng. Mat. 330–332, 267–270 (2009). , , &
- Effect of a test dentifrice containing nano-sized calcium carbonate on remineralization of enamel lesions in vitro . J. Oral Sci. 51, 69–77 (2009). , , &
- Micromechanical property recovery of human carious dentin achieved with colloidal nano-beta-tricalcium phosphate. J. Dent. Res. 87, 233–237 (2008). , , , &
- Remineralization of human dentin using ultrafine bioactive glass particles. Acta Biomater. 3, 936–943 (2007).
- Amelogenin assemblies promote the formation of elongated apatite microstructures in a controlled crystallization system. J. Phys. Chem. 111, 6398–6404 (2007).
, , &
- Enamel inspired nanocomposite fabrication through amelogenin supramolecular assembly. Biomaterials 28, 3034–3042 (2007). , , , &
- Controlled remineralization of enamel in the presence of amelogenin and fluoride. Biomaterials 30, 478–483 (2009). , &
- Roles of amorphous calcium phosphate and biological additives in the assembly of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles. J. Phys. Chem. B 111, 13410–13418 (2007).
, , , &
- Self-assembling peptide scaffolds promote enamel remineralization. J. Dent. Res. 86, 426–430 (2007).
- Influence of surfactant assembly on the formation of calcium phosphate materials - a model for dental enamel formation. J. Mater. Chem. 15, 3317–3325 (2005).
, , &
- Self-assembly of synthetic hydroxyapatite nanorods into an enamel prism-like structure. J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 288, 97–103 (2005). , , &
- Amino acid synergetic effect on structure, morphology and surface properties of biomimetic apatite nanocrystals. Acta Biomater. 5, 1241–1052 (2009). et al.
- Acellular synthesis of a human enamel-like microstructure. Adv. Mater. 18, 1846–1851 (2006). et al.
- Materials chemistry: a synthetic enamel for rapid tooth repair. Nature 433, 819 (2005). et al.
- Control of apatite crystal growth in a fluoride containing amelogenin-rich matrix. Biomaterials 26, 1595–1603 (2005).
- Dentin matrix protein 1 initiates hydroxyapatite formation in vitro . Connect. Tissue Res. 44, 240–5 (2003).
, , &
- Materials science. A window on biomineralization. Science 307, 1419–1420 (2005).
- Amelogenins: assembly, processing and control of crystal morphology. Matrix Biol. 20, 293–305 (2001).