Helical 1D electronic systems are a promising route towards realizing circuits of topological quantum states that exhibit non-Abelian statistics1, 2, 3, 4. Here, we demonstrate a versatile platform to realize 1D systems made by combining quantum Hall (QH) edge states of opposite chiralities in a graphene electron–hole bilayer at moderate magnetic fields. Using this approach, we engineer helical 1D edge conductors where the counterpropagating modes are localized in separate electron and hole layers by a tunable electric field. These helical conductors exhibit strong non-local transport signals and suppressed backscattering due to the opposite spin polarizations of the counterpropagating modes. Unlike other approaches used for realizing helical states5, 6, 7, the graphene electron–hole bilayer can be used to build new 1D systems incorporating fractional edge states8, 9. Indeed, we are able to tune the bilayer devices into a regime hosting fractional and integer edge states of opposite chiralities, paving the way towards 1D helical conductors with fractional quantum statistics10, 11, 12, 13.
At a glance
- Topological insulators and superconductors. Rev. Mod. Phys. 83, 1057–1110 (2011). &
- Majorana fermions and a topological phase transition in semiconductor-superconductor heterostructures. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 077001 (2010). , &
- Helical liquids and Majorana bound states in quantum wires. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 177002 (2010). , &
- Colloquium: topological insulators. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 3045–3067 (2010). &
- Quantum spin Hall insulator state in HgTe quantum wells. Science 318, 766–770 (2007). et al.
- Evidence for helical edge modes in inverted InAs/GaSb quantum wells. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 136603 (2011). , &
- Signatures of Majorana fermions in hybrid superconductor-semiconductor nanowire devices. Science 336, 1003–1007 (2012). et al.
- Observation of the fractional quantum Hall effect in graphene. Nature 462, 196–199 (2009). , , , &
- Fractional quantum Hall effect and insulating phase of Dirac electrons in graphene. Nature 462, 192–195 (2009). , , , &
- Fractionalizing Majorana fermions: non-Abelian statistics on the edges of Abelian quantum Hall states. Phys. Rev. X 2, 041002 (2012). , , &
- Superconducting proximity effect on the edge of fractional topological insulators. Phys. Rev. B 86, 195126 (2012).
- Exotic non-Abelian anyons from conventional fractional quantum Hall states. Nat. Commun. 4, 1348 (2013). , &
- Synthetic topological qubits in conventional bilayer quantum Hall systems. Phys. Rev. X 4, 041035 (2014). &
- Nonlocal transport near charge neutrality point in a two-dimensional electron-hole system. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 226804 (2012). et al.
- Insulating state and giant nonlocal response in an InAs/GaSb quantum well in the quantum Hall regime. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 036802 (2014). et al.
- Spin-filtered edge states and quantum Hall effect in graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 176803 (2006). , &
- Luttinger liquid at the edge of undoped graphene in a strong magnetic field. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 116805 (2006). &
- Evidence for a spin phase transition at charge neutrality in bilayer graphene. Nat. Phys. 9, 154–158 (2013). et al.
- Tunable symmetry breaking and helical edge transport in a graphene quantum spin Hall state. Nature 505, 528–532 (2014). et al.
- Selective equilibration of spin-polarized quantum Hall edge states in graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 196601 (2014). , , , &
- Graphene bilayer with a twist: electronic structure. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 256802 (2007). , &
- Single-layer behavior and its breakdown in twisted graphene layers. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 126802 (2011). et al.
- Topologically protected zero modes in twisted bilayer graphene. Phys. Rev. B 84, 045436 (2011). , , , &
- Angle dependence of the Landau level spectrum in twisted bilayer graphene. Phys. Rev. B 84, 195437 (2011). , &
- Energy spectrum and quantum Hall effect in twisted bilayer graphene. Phys. Rev. B 85, 195458 (2012). &
- Experimental observation of the quantum Hall effect and Berry's phase in graphene. Nature 438, 201–204 (2005). , , &
- Two-dimensional gas of massless Dirac fermions in graphene. Nature 438, 197–200 (2005). et al.
- Unconventional quantum Hall effect and Berry's phase of 2π in bilayer graphene. Nat. Phys. 2, 177–180 (2006). et al.
- Quantum Hall effect, screening, and layer-polarized insulating states in twisted bilayer graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 076601 (2012). et al.
- Mobilities and scattering times in decoupled graphene monolayers. Phys. Rev. B 81, 121403(R) (2010). , , &
- Landau-level splitting in graphene in high magnetic fields. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 136806 (2006). et al.
- Zero-energy state in graphene in a high magnetic field. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 206801 (2008). , &
- Spin and valley quantum Hall ferromagnetism in graphene. Nat. Phys. 8, 550–556 (2012). et al.
- One-dimensional electrical contact to a two-dimensional material. Science 342, 614–617 (2013). et al.
- Fast pick up technique for high quality heterostructures of bilayer graphene and hexagonal boron nitride. Appl. Phys. Lett. 105, 013101 (2014). , , , &
- Micrometer-scale ballistic transport in encapsulated graphene at room temperature. Nano Lett. 11, 2396–2399 (2011). et al.
- Supplementary information (1,894 KB)