Genome-wide mutagenesis in mouse embryonic stem cells (ESCs) is a powerful tool, but the diploid nature of the mammalian genome hampers its application for recessive genetic screening. We have previously reported a method to induce homozygous mutant ESCs from heterozygous mutants by tetracycline-dependent transient disruption of the Bloom's syndrome gene. However, we could not purify homozygous mutants from a large population of heterozygous mutant cells, limiting the applications. Here we developed a strategy for rapid enrichment of homozygous mutant mouse ESCs and demonstrated its feasibility for cell-based phenotypic analysis. The method uses G418-plus-puromycin double selection to enrich for homozygotes and single-nucleotide polymorphism analysis for identification of homozygosity. We combined this simple approach with gene-trap mutagenesis to construct a homozygous mutant ESC bank with 138 mutant lines and demonstrate its use in phenotype-driven genetic screening.
At a glance
Gene Expression Omnibus
- 3′ UTR seed matches, but not overall identity, are associated with RNAi off-targets. Nat. Methods 3, 199–204 (2006). et al.
- Genome-wide phenotype analysis in ES cells by regulated disruption of Bloom′s syndrome gene. Nature 429, 896–899 (2004). et al.
- Mismatch repair genes identified using genetic screens in Blm-deficient embryonic stem cells. Nature 429, 891–895 (2004). , &
- A recessive genetic screen for host factors required for retroviral infection in a library of insertionally mutated Blm-deficient embryonic stem cells. Genome Biol. 8, R48 (2007). &
- A piggyBac transposon-based genome-wide library of insertionally mutated Blm-deficient murine ES cells. Genome Res. 19, 667–673 (2009). , &
- Hybrid vigor, fetal overgrowth, and viability of mice derived by nuclear cloning and tetraploid embryo complementation. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98, 6209–6214 (2001). et al.
- ER-based double iCre fusion protein allows partial recombination in forebrain. Genesis 34, 208–214 (2002). et al.
- Disruption of overlapping transcripts in the ROSA beta geo 26 gene trap strain leads to widespread expression of beta-galactosidase in mouse embryos and hematopoietic cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 94, 3789–3794 (1997). et al.
- Transposition of the Tol2 element, an Ac-like element from the Japanese medaka fish Oryzias latipes, in mouse embryonic stem cells. Genetics 166, 895–899 (2004). &
- A new positive/negative selectable marker, puDeltatk, for use in embryonic stem cells. Genesis 28, 31–35 (2000). &
- Talking about a revolution: the impact of site-specific recombinases on genetic analyses in mice. Dev. Cell 6, 7–28 (2004). &
- Trisomy eight in ES cells is a common potential problem in gene targeting and interferes with germ line transmission. Dev. Dyn. 209, 85–91 (1997). et al.
- Targeted chromosome elimination from ES-somatic hybrid cells. Nat. Methods 4, 23–25 (2007). et al.
- Cre-mediated chromosome loss in mice. Nat. Genet. 17, 223–225 (1997). &
- DGCR8 is essential for microRNA biogenesis and silencing of embryonic stem cell self-renewal. Nat. Genet. 39, 380–385 (2007). , , , &
- A conserved mechanism for control of human and mouse embryonic stem cell pluripotency and differentiation by shp2 tyrosine phosphatase. PLoS ONE 4, e4914 (2009). et al.
- Niche-independent symmetrical self-renewal of a mammalian tissue stem cell. PLoS Biol. 3, e283 (2005). et al.
- Conversion of embryonic stem cells into neuroectodermal precursors in adherent monoculture. Nat. Biotechnol. 21, 183–186 (2003). , , , &
- Disruption of the regulatory beta subunit of protein kinase CK2 in mice leads to a cell-autonomous defect and early embryonic lethality. Mol. Cell. Biol. 23, 908–915 (2003). et al.
- Systems-level dynamic analyses of fate change in murine embryonic stem cells. Nature 462, 358–362 (2009). et al.
- A mouse for all reasons. Cell 128, 9–13 (2007). , &
- Derivation of haploid embryonic stem cells from mouse embryos. Nature advance online publication, doi:10.1038/nature10448 (7 September 2011). &
- RET: a poly A-trap retrovirus vector for reversible disruption and expression monitoring of genes in living cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 27, e35 (1999). &
- Chromosomal mobilization and reintegration of Sleeping Beauty and PiggyBac transposons. Genesis 47, 404–408 (2009). , , &
- Genotype-based screen for ENU-induced mutations in mouse embryonic stem cells. Nat. Genet. 24, 314–317 (2000). et al.
- Mouse mutants from chemically mutagenized embryonic stem cells. Nat. Genet. 24, 318–321 (2000). et al.
- DelBank: a mouse ES-cell resource for generating deletions. Nat. Genet. 28, 310–311 (2001). et al.
- PiggyBac-based recessive screening method to identify pluripotency regulators. PLoS ONE 6, e18189 (2011). , , , &
- Isolation of homozygous mutant mouse embryonic stem cells using a dual selection system. Nucleic Acids Res. (in the press). et al.
- The ground state of embryonic stem cell self-renewal. Nature 453, 519–523 (2008). et al.
- Promoter traps in embryonic stem cells: a genetic screen to identify and mutate developmental genes in mice. Genes Dev. 5, 1513–1523 (1991). &
- Functional dissection of the Tol2 transposable element identified the minimal cis-sequence and a highly repetitive sequence in the subterminal region essential for transposition. Genetics 174, 639–649 (2006). , &
- Cre reporter strains produced by targeted insertion of EYFP and ECFP into the ROSA26 locus. BMC Dev. Biol. 1, 4 (2001). et al.
- Plat-E: an efficient and stable system for transient packaging of retroviruses. Gene Ther. 7, 1063–1066 (2000). , &
- Splinkerettes—improved vectorettes for greater efficiency in PCR walking. Nucleic Acids Res. 23, 1644–1645 (1995). , &
- PANTHER: a library of protein families and subfamilies indexed by function. Genome Res. 13, 2129–2141 (2003). et al.