Strand-specific, massively parallel cDNA sequencing (RNA-seq) is a powerful tool for transcript discovery, genome annotation and expression profiling. There are multiple published methods for strand-specific RNA-seq, but no consensus exists as to how to choose between them. Here we developed a comprehensive computational pipeline to compare library quality metrics from any RNA-seq method. Using the well-annotated Saccharomyces cerevisiae transcriptome as a benchmark, we compared seven library-construction protocols, including both published and our own methods. We found marked differences in strand specificity, library complexity, evenness and continuity of coverage, agreement with known annotations and accuracy for expression profiling. Weighing each method's performance and ease, we identified the dUTP second-strand marking and the Illumina RNA ligation methods as the leading protocols, with the former benefitting from the current availability of paired-end sequencing. Our analysis provides a comprehensive benchmark, and our computational pipeline is applicable for assessment of future protocols in other organisms.
At a glance
Gene Expression Omnibus
- RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10, 57–63 (2009). , &
- Dynamic repertoire of a eukaryotic transcriptome surveyed at single-nucleotide resolution. Nature 453, 1239–1243 (2008). et al.
- Annotating genomes with massive-scale RNA sequencing. Genome Biol. 9, R175 (2008). et al.
- Ab initio construction of a eukaryotic transcriptome by massively parallel mRNA sequencing. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106, 3264–3269 (2009). et al.
- RNA-seq: an assessment of technical reproducibility and comparison with gene expression arrays. Genome Res. 18, 1509–1517 (2008). , , , &
- Mapping and quantifying mammalian transcriptomes by RNA-Seq. Nat. Methods 5, 621–628 (2008). , , , &
- Deep surveying of alternative splicing complexity in the human transcriptome by high-throughput sequencing. Nat. Genet. 40, 1413–1415 (2008). , , , &
- Alternative isoform regulation in human tissue transcriptomes. Nature 456, 470–476 (2008). et al.
- A global view of gene activity and alternative splicing by deep sequencing of the human transcriptome. Science 321, 956–960 (2008). et al.
- Ab initio reconstruction of cell type-specific transcriptomes in mouse reveals the conserved multi-exonic structure of lincRNAs. Nat. Biotechnol. 28, 503–510 (2010). et al.
- Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation. Nat. Biotechnol. 28, 511–515 (2010). et al.
- Nascent RNA sequencing reveals widespread pausing and divergent initiation at human promoters. Science 322, 1845–1848 (2008). , &
- Transcriptome analysis by strand-specific sequencing of complementary DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 37, e123 (2009). et al.
- Genome-wide analysis in vivo of translation with nucleotide resolution using ribosome profiling. Science 324, 218–223 (2009). , , &
- The antisense transcriptomes of human cells. Science 322, 1855–1857 (2008). , , , &
- RNA cytosine methylation analysis by bisulfite sequencing. Nucleic Acids Res. 37, e12 (2009). , , &
- Whole-genome sequence assembly for mammalian genomes: Arachne 2. Genome Res. 13, 91–96 (2003). et al.
- Bidirectional promoters generate pervasive transcription in yeast. Nature 457, 1033–1037 (2009). et al.
- Actinomycin D inhibits human immunodeficiency virus type 1 minus-strand transfer in in vitro and endogenous reverse transcriptase assays. J. Virol. 72, 6716–6724 (1998). , , , &
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Solutions Using R and Bioconductor, 473 (Springer, Secaucus, NJ, 2005). , , , & (eds.).
- Normalization for cDNA microarray data: a robust composite method addressing single and multiple slide systematic variation. Nucleic Acids Res. 30, e15 (2002). et al.
- A simple method for directional transcriptome sequencing using Illumina technology. Nucleic Acids Res. 37, e148 (2009). et al.
- Quantification of the yeast transcriptome by single-molecule sequencing. Nat. Biotechnol. 27, 652–658 (2009). et al.
- Direct RNA sequencing. Nature 461, 814–818 (2009). et al.
- Affymetrix / Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory ENCODE Transcriptome Project. Post-transcriptional processing generates a diversity of 5′-modified long and short RNAs. Nature 457, 1028–1032 (2009).
- Determination of tag density required for digital transcriptome analysis: application to an androgen-sensitive prostate cancer model. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 20179–20184 (2008). et al.
- FRT-seq: amplification-free, strand-specific transcriptome sequencing. Nat. Methods 7, 130–132 (2010). et al.
- Limitations and possibilities of small RNA digital gene expression profiling. Nat. Methods 6, 474–476 (2009). et al.
- Highly integrated single-base resolution maps of the epigenome in Arabidopsis . Cell 133, 523–536 (2008). et al.
- Reverse transcriptase template switching: a SMART approach for full-length cDNA library construction. Biotechniques 30, 892–897 (2001). , , , &
- Digital transcriptome profiling using selective hexamer priming for cDNA synthesis. Nat. Methods 6, 647–649 (2009). et al.
- Stem cell transcriptome profiling via massive-scale mRNA sequencing. Nat. Methods 5, 613–619 (2008). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (2M)
Supplementary Figures 1–5, Supplementary Tables 1–5, Supplementary Notes 1–3