We describe an engineered family of highly antigenic molecules based on GFP-like fluorescent proteins. These molecules contain numerous copies of peptide epitopes and simultaneously bind IgG antibodies at each location. These 'spaghetti monster' fluorescent proteins (smFPs) distributed well in neurons, notably into small dendrites, spines and axons. smFP immunolabeling localized weakly expressed proteins not well resolved with traditional epitope tags. By varying epitope and scaffold, we generated a diverse family of mutually orthogonal antigens. In cultured neurons and mouse and fly brains, smFP probes allowed robust, orthogonal multicolor visualization of proteins, cell populations and neuropil. smFP variants complement existing tracers and greatly increase the number of simultaneous imaging channels, and they performed well in advanced preparations such as array tomography, super-resolution fluorescence imaging and electron microscopy. In living cells, the probes improved single-molecule image tracking and increased yield for RNA-seq. These probes facilitate new experiments in connectomics, transcriptomics and protein localization.
At a glance
- Making the most of affinity tags. Trends Biotechnol. 23, 316–320 (2005).
- Overview of tag protein fusions: from molecular and biochemical fundamentals to commercial systems. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 60, 523–533 (2003).
- The structure of an antigenic determinant in a protein. Cell 37, 767–778 (1984). et al.
- Isolation of monoclonal antibodies specific for human c-myc proto-oncogene product. Mol. Cell. Biol. 5, 3610–3616 (1985). , , &
- Identification of an epitope on the P- and V proteins of simian virus 5 that distinguishes between two isolates with different biological characteristics. J. Gen. Virol. 72, 1551–1557 (1991). , , , &
- A short polypeptide marker sequence useful for recombinant protein identification and purification. Biotechnology 6, 1204–1210 (1988). et al.
- Molecular interaction between the Strep-tag affinity peptide and its cognate target, streptavidin. J. Mol. Biol. 255, 753–766 (1996). , , &
- Generation and application of new rat monoclonal antibodies against synthetic FLAG and OLLAS tags for improved immunodetection. J. Immunol. Methods 331, 27–38 (2008). et al.
- A protein-tagging system for signal amplification in gene expression and fluorescence imaging. Cell 159, 635–646 (2014). , , , &
- A major role for TPPII in trimming proteasomal degradation products for MHC class I antigen presentation. Immunity 20, 495–506 (2004). et al.
- Fluorescent protein tracking and detection: fluorescent protein structure and color variants. Cold Spring Harb. Protoc. 2009, pdb.top63 (2009). , &
- Advances in fluorescent protein technology. J. Cell Sci. 120, 4247–4260 (2007). , &
- Green fluorescent protein as a scaffold for intracellular presentation of peptides. Nucleic Acids Res. 26, 623–630 (1998). , &
- Engineering and characterization of a superfolder green fluorescent protein. Nat. Biotechnol. 24, 79–88 (2006). , , , &
- Antibody binding loop insertions as diversity elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 34, e132 (2006). et al.
- Improving FRET dynamic range with bright green and red fluorescent proteins. Nat. Methods 9, 1005–1012 (2012). et al.
- Hue-shifted monomeric variants of Clavularia cyan fluorescent protein: identification of the molecular determinants of color and applications in fluorescence imaging. BMC Biol. 6, 13 (2008). , , , , &
- Long-range neuronal circuits underlying the interaction between sensory and motor cortex. Neuron 72, 111–123 (2011). et al.
- An enhanced monomeric blue fluorescent protein with the high chemical stability of the chromophore. PLoS ONE 6, e28674 (2011). , , &
- GENSAT BAC Cre-recombinase driver lines to study the functional organization of cerebral cortical and basal ganglia circuits. Neuron 80, 1368–1383 (2013). , &
- Histologie du Système Nerveux de l'Homme et des Vértebrés (Instituto Ramón y Cajal, Madrid, 1952) [transl].
- Development of the mossy fibers of the dentate gyrus: I. a light and electron microscopic study of the mossy fibers and their expansions. J. Comp. Neurol. 195, 51–86 (1981). &
- Three-dimensional analysis of the structure and composition of CA3 branched dendritic spines and their synaptic relationships with mossy fiber boutons in the rat hippocampus. J. Comp. Neurol. 325, 169–182 (1992). &
- Cadherin-9 regulates synapse-specific differentiation in the developing hippocampus. Neuron 71, 640–655 (2011). et al.
- Altered patterning of dentate granule cell mossy fiber inputs onto CA3 pyramidal cells in limbic epilepsy. Hippocampus 21, 93–107 (2011). et al.
- Cadherin expression in the developing vertebrate CNS: from neuromeres to brain nuclei and neural circuits. Exp. Cell Res. 220, 243–256 (1995).
- A model for central synaptic junctional complex formation based on the differential adhesive specificities of the cadherins. Neuron 17, 423–434 (1996). &
- The catenin cadherin adhesion system is localized in synaptic junctions bordering transmitter release zones. J. Cell Biol. 135, 767–779 (1996). , , , &
- Single-particle tracking image microscopy. Methods Enzymol. 360, 618–634 (2003). &
- Fluorescent proteins for single-molecule fluorescence applications. J. Biophotonics 1, 74–82 (2008). et al.
- Photophysics of fluorescent probes for single-molecule biophysics and super-resolution imaging. Annu. Rev. Phys. Chem. 63, 595–617 (2012). &
- Single molecule fluorescence detection and tracking in mammalian cells: the state-of-the-art and future perspectives. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 13, 14742–14765 (2012). &
- HaloTag: a novel protein labeling technology for cell imaging and protein analysis. ACS Chem. Biol. 3, 373–382 (2008). et al.
- SNAP-tag technology: a general introduction. Curr. Pharm. Des. 19, 5406–5413 (2013). , , , &
- An engineered protein tag for multiprotein labeling in living cells. Chem. Biol. 15, 128–136 (2008). et al.
- Single-molecule imaging of transcription factor binding to DNA in live mammalian cells. Nat. Methods 10, 421–426 (2013). et al.
- Array tomography: a new tool for imaging the molecular architecture and ultrastructure of neural circuits. Neuron 55, 25–36 (2007). &
- Regulation of neuronal input transformations by tunable dendritic inhibition. Nat. Neurosci. 15, 423–430 (2012). et al.
- Imaging neuronal subsets in transgenic mice expressing multiple spectral variants of GFP. Neuron 28, 41–51 (2000). et al.
- Sub-diffraction-limit imaging by stochastic optical reconstruction microscopy (STORM). Nat. Methods 3, 793–795 (2006). , &
- Super-resolution fluorescence microscopy. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 78, 993–1016 (2009). , &
- Dlg5 regulates dendritic spine formation and synaptogenesis by controlling subcellular N-cadherin localization. J. Neurosci. 34, 12745–12761 (2014). et al.
- Optimized tools for multicolor stochastic labeling reveal diverse stereotyped cell arrangements in the fly visual system. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA (in the press). , &
- Transgenic strategies for combinatorial expression of fluorescent proteins in the nervous system. Nature 450, 56–62 (2007). et al.
- The neuronal architecture of the mushroom body provides a logic for associative learning. eLife 3, e04577 (2014). et al.
- Neuroarchitecture and neuroanatomy of the Drosophila central complex: a GAL4-based dissection of protocerebral bridge neurons and circuits. J. Comp. Neurol. 523, 997–1037 (2015). , &
- Prediction of diffusion coefficients of proteins. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 35, 327–338 (1990). &
- Precise measurement of diffusion coefficients using scanning fluorescence correlation spectroscopy. Biophys. J. 94, 1437–1448 (2008). &
- A GAL4-driver line resource for Drosophila neurobiology. Cell Rep. 2, 991–1001 (2012). et al.
- The Mouse Brain in Sterotaxic Coordinates 2nd edn. (Academic Press, 2001). &
- Mechanism and energetics of green fluorescent protein chromophore synthesis revealed by trapped intermediate structures. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 12111–12116 (2003). , , , &
- Genetically encoded calcium indicators for multi-color neural activity imaging and combination with optogenetics. Front. Mol. Neurosci. 6, 2 (2013). et al.
- Directed evolution of a monomeric, bright and photostable version of Clavularia cyan fluorescent protein: structural characterization and applications in fluorescence imaging. Biochem. J. 400, 531–540 (2006). , , &
- Rapid redistribution of synaptic PSD-95 in the neocortex in vivo. PLoS Biol. 4, e370 (2006). , , &
- Efficient gene transfer into the embryonic mouse brain using in vivo electroporation. Dev. Biol. 240, 237–246 (2001). &
- Efficient in utero gene transfer system to the developing mouse brain using electroporation: visualization of neuronal migration in the developing cortex. Neuroscience 103, 865–872 (2001). &
- Excitation spectra and brightness optimization of two-photon excited probes. Biophys. J. 102, 934–944 (2012). et al.
- Genome-wide atlas of gene expression in the adult mouse brain. Nature 445, 168–176 (2007). et al.
- Thalamocortical input onto layer 5 pyramidal neurons measured using quantitative large-scale array tomography. Front. Neural Circuits 7, 177 (2013). et al.
- TrakEM2 software for neural circuit reconstruction. PLoS ONE 7, e38011 (2012). et al.
- Multicolor super-resolution imaging with photo-switchable fluorescent probes. Science 317, 1749–1753 (2007). , , &
- Cell type-specific genomics of Drosophila neurons. Nucleic Acids Res. 40, 9691–9704 (2012). , , &
- Construction of transgenic Drosophila by using the site-specific integrase from phage phiC31. Genetics 166, 1775–1782 (2004). , , &
- Two functional but noncomplementing Drosophila tyrosine decarboxylase genes: distinct roles for neural tyramine and octopamine in female fertility. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 14948–14955 (2005). et al.
- A benchmark for chromatin binding measurements in live cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 40, e119 (2012). , , , &
- Tracking epigenetic histone modifications in single cells using Fab-based live endogenous modification labeling. Nucleic Acids Res. 39, 6475–6488 (2011). et al.
- Glass beads load macromolecules into living cells. J. Cell Sci. 88, 669–678 (1987). &
- Regulation of RNA polymerase II activation by histone acetylation in single living cells. Nature 516, 272–275 (2014). et al.
- Computer control of microscopes using μManager. Curr. Protoc. Mol. Biol. 92, 14.20 (2010). , , , &
- Localizer: fast, accurate, open-source, and modular software package for superresolution microscopy. J. Biomed. Opt. 17, 126008 (2012). , , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (3,205 KB)
Supplementary Figures 1–18 and Supplementary Tables 1 and 2