Quantum spin liquids (QSLs) are topological states of matter exhibiting remarkable properties such as the capacity to protect quantum information from decoherence. Whereas their featureless ground states have precluded their straightforward experimental identification, excited states are more revealing and particularly interesting owing to the emergence of fundamentally new excitations such as Majorana fermions. Ideal probes of these excitations are inelastic neutron scattering experiments. These we report here for a ruthenium-based material, α-RuCl3, continuing a major search (so far concentrated on iridium materials) for realizations of the celebrated Kitaev honeycomb topological QSL. Our measurements confirm the requisite strong spin–orbit coupling and low-temperature magnetic order matching predictions proximate to the QSL. We find stacking faults, inherent to the highly two-dimensional nature of the material, resolve an outstanding puzzle. Crucially, dynamical response measurements above interlayer energy scales are naturally accounted for in terms of deconfinement physics expected for QSLs. Comparing these with recent dynamical calculations involving gauge flux excitations and Majorana fermions of the pure Kitaev model, we propose the excitation spectrum of α-RuCl3 as a prime candidate for fractionalized Kitaev physics.
At a glance
- Spin liquids in frustrated magnets. Nature 464, 199–208 (2010).
- An end to the drought of quantum spin liquids. Science 321, 1306–1307 (2008).
- Highly mobile gapless excitations in a two-dimensional candidate quantum spin liquid. Science 328, 1246–1248 (2010). et al.
- Quantum magnetism and criticality. Nature Phys. 4, 173–185 (2008).
- Non-Abelian anyons and topological quantum computation. Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 1083–1159 (2008). , , , &
- Quantum criticality and universal scaling of a quantum antiferromagnet. Nature Mater. 4, 329–334 (2005). , , &
- Fractionalized excitations in the spin-liquid state of a kagome-lattice antiferromagnet. Nature 492, 406–410 (2012). et al.
- Anyons in an exactly solved model and beyond. Ann. Phys. 321, 2–111 (2006).
- Exact results for spin dynamics and fractionalization in the Kitaev model. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 247201 (2007). , &
- Dynamics of a two-dimensional quantum spin liquid: signatures of emergent Majorana fermions and fluxes. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 207203 (2014). , , &
- Mott insulators in the strong spin–orbit coupling limit: from Heisenberg to a quantum compass and Kitaev models. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 017205 (2009). &
- Kitaev–Heisenberg model on a honeycomb lattice: possible exotic phases in iridium oxides A2IrO3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 027204 (2010). , &
- Phase-sensitive observation of a spin–orbital Mott state in Sr2IrO4. Science 323, 1329–1332 (2009). et al.
- Relevance of the Heisenberg–Kitaev model for the honeycomb lattice iridates A2IrO3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 127203 (2012). et al.
- Spinwaves and revised crystal structure of honeycomb iridate Na2IrO3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 127204 (2012). et al.
- Direct evidence of a zigzag spin-chain structure in the honeycomb lattice: a neutron and X-ray diffraction investigation of single-crystal Na2IrO3. Phys. Rev. B 85, 180403(R) (2012). et al.
- Raman scattering signatures of Kitaev spin liquids in A2IrO3 iridates with A = Na or Li. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 187201 (2014). , , , &
- Magnetic excitation spectrum of Na2IrO3 probed with resonant inelastic X-ray scattering. Phys. Rev. B 87, 220407(R) (2013). et al.
- Direct evidence for dominant bond-directional interactions in a honeycomb lattice iridate Na2IrO3. Nature Phys. 11, 462–466 (2015). et al.
- Magnetic properties of some iron(III) and ruthenium(III) low-spin complexes. J. Chem. Soc. A422–426 (1966). , , &
- Anhydrous ruthenium chlorides. Nature 199, 1089–1090 (1963). et al.
- X-ray, infrared, and magnetic studies of α- and β-ruthenium trichloride. J. Chem. Soc. A1038–1045 (1967). , , &
- α-RuCl3: a spin–orbit assisted Mott insulator on a honeycomb lattice. Phys. Rev. B 90, 041112(R) (2014). et al.
- Scattering continuum and possible fractionalized excitations in α-RuCl3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 147201 (2015). et al.
- Magnetic order in α-RuCl3: a honeycomb lattice quantum magnet with strong spin–orbit coupling. Phys. Rev. B 91, 144420 (2015). et al.
- Kitaev magnetism in honeycomb RuCl3 with intermediate spin–orbit coupling. Phys. Rev. B 91, 241110 (2015). , &
- Anisotropic Ru3+ 4d5 magnetism in the α-RuCl3 honeycomb system: susceptibility, specific heat and zero-field NMR. Phys. Rev. B 91, 180401(R) (2015). et al.
- Spin-orbit excitations and electronic structure of the putative Kitaev magnet α-RuCl3. Phys. Rev. B 93, 075144 (2016). et al.
- Successive magnetic phase transitions in α-RuCl3: XY-like frustrated magnet on the honeycomb lattice. Phys. Rev. B 91, 094422 (2015). , , , &
- The lattice vibration specific heat of graphite. J. Chem. Phys. 21, 1663–1669 (1953). &
- 1970). & Electron Paramagnetic Resonance of Transition Ions (Oxford Univ. Press,
- On the magnetic properties of covalent XY6 complexes. Proc. Phys. Soc. A 219, 542–555 (1953).
- Interplay of many-body and single-particle interactions in iridates and rhodates. Phys. Rev. B 89, 035143 (2014). , &
- Zigzag magnetic order in the iridium oxide Na2IrO3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 097204 (2013). , &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1408.4811 (2014). & Trigonal distortion in the honeyccomb iridates: proximity of zigzag and spiral phases in Na2IrO3. Preprint at
- Generic spin model for the honeycomb iridates beyond the Kitaev limit. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 077204 (2014). , &
- Importance of anisotropic exchange interactions in honeycomb iridates: minimal model for zigzag antiferromagnetic order in Na2IrO3. Phys. Rev. B 90, 155126 (2014). , , &
- Kitaev interactions between j = 1/2 moments in honeycomb Na2IrO3 are large and ferromagnetic: insights from ab initio quantum chemistry calculations. New J. Phys. 16, 013056 (2014). et al.
- Hidden symmetries of the extended Kitaev–Heisenberg model: implications for honeycomb lattice iridates A2IrO3. Phys. Rev. B 92, 024413 (2015). &
- Confinement-deconfinement transition as an indication of spin-liquid-type behavior in Na2IrO3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 017203 (2015). , , &
- Vaporization of Kitaev spin liquids. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 197205 (2014). , &
- Thermal fractionalization of quantum spins in a Kitaev model. Phys. Rev. B 92, 115122 (2015). , &
- Realization of a three-dimensional spin–anisotropic harmonic honeycomb iridate. Nature Commun. 5, 4203 (2014). et al.
- Hyperhoneycomb iridate β—Li2IrO3 as a platform for Kitaev magnetism. Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 077202 (2015). et al.
- Physical states and finite-size effects in Kitaev’s honeycomb model: bond disorder, spin excitations, and NMR lineshape. Phys. Rev. B 92, 014403 (2015). &
- SEQUOIA: a newly operating chopper spectrometer at the SNS. J. Phys. Conf. Ser. 251, 12058 (2010). et al.
- Design and operation of the wide angular range chopper spectrometer ARCS at the SNS. Rev. Sci. Instrum. 83, 15114 (2012). et al.
- Linear spin wave theory for single-Q incommensurate magnetic structures. J. Phys. Condens. Matter 27, 166002 (2014). &
- 1964). & Scattering Factors Computed from Relativistic Dirac–Slater Wave Functions LANL REPORT LA-3056 (Los Alamos Research Library,
- Supplementary Information (2,595 KB)