Fibre materials span a broad range of applications ranging from simple textile yarns to complex modern fibre-optic communication systems. Throughout their history, a key premise has remained essentially unchanged: fibres are static devices, incapable of controllably changing their properties over a wide range of frequencies. A number of approaches to realizing time-dependent variations in fibres have emerged, including refractive index modulation1, 2, 3, 4, nonlinear optical mechanisms in silica glass fibres5, 6, 7, 8 and electroactively modulated polymer fibres9. These approaches have been limited primarily because of the inert nature of traditional glassy fibre materials. Here we report the composition of a phase internal to a composite fibre structure that is simultaneously crystalline and non-centrosymmetric. A ferroelectric polymer layer of 30 μm thickness is spatially confined and electrically contacted by internal viscous electrodes and encapsulated in an insulating polymer cladding hundreds of micrometres in diameter. The structure is thermally drawn in its entirety from a macroscopic preform, yielding tens of metres of piezoelectric fibre. The fibres show a piezoelectric response and acoustic transduction from kilohertz to megahertz frequencies. A single-fibre electrically driven device containing a high-quality-factor Fabry–Perot optical resonator and a piezoelectric transducer is fabricated and measured.
At a glance
- Static and dynamic properties of optical microcavities in photonic bandgap yarns. Adv. Mater. 15, 2053–2056 (2003). , , , &
- Optical devices based on liquid crystal photonic bandgap fibres. Opt. Express 11, 2589–2596 (2003). , , &
- Dynamic all-optical tuning of transverse resonant cavity modes in photonic bandgap fibers. Opt. Lett. 30, 1620–1622 (2005). , , , &
- Integrated all-fiber variable attenuator based on hybrid microstructure fiber. Appl. Phys. Lett. 79, 3191–3193 (2001). , , , &
- Broad-band metal glass single-mode fiber polarizers. Electron. Lett. 22, 1020–1022 (1986). , , &
- Generation of permanent optically induced 2nd-order nonlinearities in optical fibers by poling. Opt. Lett. 13, 592–594 (1988). et al.
- Measurement of the refractive-index modulation generated by electrostriction-induced acoustic waves in optical fibers. Opt. Lett. 21, 333–335 (1996). , , &
- Integrated fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer for electro-optic switching. Opt. Lett. 27, 1643–1645 (2002). et al.
- Electroactive polymer-based devices for e-textiles in biomedicine. IEEE Trans. Inf. Technol. Biomed. 9, 295–318 (2005). &
- Développement par compression de l’électricité polaire dans les cristaux hémièdres à faces inclinées. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 91, 294–295 (1880). &
- 2008). Piezoelectric Transducers and Applications (Springer,
- Towards multimaterial multifunctional fibres that see, hear, sense and communicate. Nature Mater. 6, 336–347 (2007). et al.
- Piezoelectricity of poly (vinylidene fluoride). Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 8, 975–976 (1969).
- Ferroelectric polymers. Science 220, 1115–1121 (1983).
- Nuclear magnetic resonance and X-ray determination of structure of poly(vinylidene fluoride). J. Polym. Sci. A 4, 941–951 (1966). , &
- The ii-i crystal transformation of poly(vinylidene fluoride) under tensile and compressional stresses. Polymer 21, 1391–1397 (1980). , , &
- In-fiber semiconductor filament arrays. Nano Lett. 8, 4265–4269 (2008). et al.
- 2004). Multilayer Composite Photonic Bandgap Fibers (Massachusetts Institute of Technology,
- Ferroelectric properties of vinylidene fluoride copolymers. Phase Transit. 18, 143–211 (1989).
- The polymorphism of poly(vinylidene fluoride). J. Macromol. Sci.-Phys. B2, 205–218 (1968). &
- Transition behavior and dielectric-properties in trifluoroethylene and vinylidene fluoride co-polymers. Polym. J. 12, 209–223 (1980). , &
- Piezoelectricity and related properties of vinylidene fluoride and trifluoroethylene copolymers. J. Appl. Phys. 59, 2142–2150 (1986). &
- Ferroelectric properties of poly(vinylidenefluoride-trifluoroethylene) copolymer thin films. Appl. Phys. Lett. 43, 834–836 (1983). &
- Laser heterodyne system for measurement and analysis of vibration. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 48, 603–609 (1970). &
- Amplified, frequency swept lasers for frequency domain reflectometry and OCT imaging: Design and scaling principles. Opt. Express 13, 3513–3528 (2005). , , , &
- 2007). Grounding and Shielding: Circuits and Interference (IEEE Press,
- Medical applications: Saving lives. Nature Photon. 2, 150–152 (2008).
- 2002). An Introduction to Underwater Acoustics: Principles and Applications (Springer,
- 1977). & Principles and Applications of Ferroelectrics and Related Materials (Clarendon Press,
- Large electrocaloric effect in ferroelectric polymers near room temperature. Science 321, 821–823 (2008). et al.
- Supplementary Information (15.2 MB)