The controlled delivery of nucleic acids to selected tissues remains an inefficient process mired by low transfection efficacy, poor scalability because of varying efficiency with cell type and location, and questionable safety as a result of toxicity issues arising from the typical materials and procedures employed. High efficiency and minimal toxicity in vitro has been shown for intracellular delivery of nuclei acids by using nanoneedles, yet extending these characteristics to in vivo delivery has been difficult, as current interfacing strategies rely on complex equipment or active cell internalization through prolonged interfacing. Here, we show that a tunable array of biodegradable nanoneedles fabricated by metal-assisted chemical etching of silicon can access the cytosol to co-deliver DNA and siRNA with an efficiency greater than 90%, and that in vivo the nanoneedles transfect the VEGF-165 gene, inducing sustained neovascularization and a localized sixfold increase in blood perfusion in a target region of the muscle.
At a glance
- Protein therapeutics: A summary and pharmacological classification. Nature Rev. Drug Discov. 7, 21–39 (2008). , &
- Synthetic therapeutic peptides: Science and market. Drug Discov. Today 15, 40–56 (2010). , , &
- RNA therapeutics: Beyond RNA interference and antisense oligonucleotides. Nature Rev. Drug Discov. 11, 125–140 (2012). , &
- Microscale technologies for tissue engineering and biology. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103, 2480–2487 (2006).
- Knocking down barriers: Advances in siRNA delivery. Nature Rev. Drug Discov. 8, 129–138 (2009). , &
- Synthetic DNA delivery systems. Nature Biotechnol. 18, 33–37 (2000). &
- Progress and problems with the use of viral vectors for gene therapy. Nature Rev. Genet. 4, 346–358 (2003). , &
- Therapeutic in vivo gene transfer for genetic disease using AAV: Progress and challenges. Nature Rev. Genet. 12, 341–355 (2011). &
- A comparison of efficacy and toxicity between electroporation and adenoviral gene transfer. BMC Mol. Biol. 3, 12 (2002). , &
- Gene transfer into muscle by electroporation in vivo. Nature Biotechnol. 16, 867–870 (1998). &
- Nonviral vectors in the new millennium: Delivery barriers in gene transfer. Hum. Gene Ther. 12, 861–870 (2001). &
- Vertical silicon nanowires as a universal platform for delivering biomolecules into living cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 107, 1870–1875 (2010). et al.
- Vertical nanowire electrode arrays as a scalable platform for intracellular interfacing to neuronal circuits. Nature Nanotech. 7, 180–184 (2012). et al.
- Nanowire-based single-cell endoscopy. Nature Nanotech. 7, 191–196 (2011). et al.
- High-efficiency DNA injection into a single human mesenchymal stem cell using a nanoneedle and atomic force microscopy. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnol. Biol. Med. 4, 215–225 (2008). et al.
- Nanowire-mediated delivery enables functional interrogation of primary immune cells: Application to the analysis of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Nano Lett. 12, 6498–6504 (2012). et al.
- Quantification of nanowire penetration into living cells. Nature Commun. 5, 3613 (2014). et al.
- A vector-free microfluidic platform for intracellular delivery. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 110, 2082–2087 (2013). et al.
- Characterization of the cell–nanopillar interface by transmission electron microscopy. Nano Lett. 12, 5815–5820 (2012). , , , &
- Mechanical model of vertical nanowire cell penetration. Nano Lett. 13, 6002–6008 (2013). et al.
- Intracellular recording of action potentials by nanopillar electroporation. Nature Nanotech. 7, 185–190 (2012). , , , &
- Poking cells for efficient vector-free intracellular delivery. Nature Commun. 5, 4466 (2014). et al.
- Dissolution of different forms of partially porous silicon wafers under simulated physiological conditions. Phys. Status Solidi A 197, 331–335 (2003). , , , &
- Bioactive silicon structure fabrication through nanoetching techniques. Adv. Mater. 7, 1033–1037 (1995).
- Tailored porous silicon microparticles: Fabrication and properties. ChemPhysChem 11, 1029–1035 (2010). et al.
- Mesoporous silicon particles as a multistage delivery system for imaging and therapeutic applications. Nature Nanotech. 3, 151–157 (2008). et al.
- Sustained small interfering RNA delivery by mesoporous silicon particles. Cancer Res. 70, 3687–3696 (2010). et al.
- Biodegradable luminescent porous silicon nanoparticles for in vivo applications. Nature Mater. 8, 331–336 (2009). et al.
- A novel approach to brachytherapy in hepatocellular carcinoma using a phosphorous32 (32P) brachytherapy delivery device—a first-in-man study. Int. J. Radiat. Oncol. Biol. Phys. 67, 786–792 (2007). et al.
- Porous silicon in drug delivery devices and materials. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 60, 1266–1277 (2008). , , &
- Biodegradable porous silicon barcode nanowires with defined geometry. Adv. Funct. Mater. 20, 2231–2239 (2010). , , &
- Mechanical sensing of the penetration of various nanoneedles into a living cell using atomic force microscopy. Biosens. Bioelectron. 20, 1652–1655 (2005). , , , &
- Probing enzymatic activity inside living cells using a nanowire–cell ‘sandwich’ assay. Nano Lett. 13, 153–158 (2013). et al.
- Microvesicles: Mediators of extracellular communication during cancer progression. J. Cell Sci. 123, 1603–1611 (2010). , , &
- Embryonic stem cell-derived microvesicles reprogram hematopoietic progenitors: Evidence for horizontal transfer of mRNA and protein delivery. Leukemia 20, 847–856 (2006). et al.
- Transfer of microRNAs by embryonic stem cell microvesicles. PLoS ONE 4, e4722 (2009). et al.
- Porous silicon as a versatile platform for laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry. Anal. Chem. 73, 612–619 (2000). et al.
- Dissolving microneedles for transdermal drug delivery. Biomaterials 29, 2113–2124 (2008). , &
- Bioluminescence imaging of myeloperoxidase activity in vivo. Nature Med. 15, 455–461 (2009). et al.
- Electroporation-based DNA immunisation: Translation to the clinic. Expert Opin. Biol. Ther. 7, 1647–1664 (2007). , &
- Vascular-specific growth factors and blood vessel formation. Nature 407, 242–248 (2000). et al.
- The biology of vascular endothelial growth factors. Cardiovasc. Res. 65, 550–563 (2005). , , &
- Polymer multilayer tattooing for enhanced DNA vaccination. Nature Mater. 12, 367–376 (2013). et al.
- Microneedles for drug and vaccine delivery. Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. 64, 1547–1568 (2012). , &
- VoluDerm Microneedle Technology for Skin Treatments—In Vivo Histological Evidence. J. Cosmetic Laser Surg. 17, 9–14 (2015). &
- Growth factors and cytokines in wound healing. Wound Repair Regen. 16, 585–601 (2008). , , , &