Visible-light-responsive photocatalysts can directly harvest energy from solar light, offering a desirable way to solve energy and environment issues1. Here, we show that one-dimensional poly(diphenylbutadiyne) nanostructures synthesized by photopolymerization using a soft templating approach have high photocatalytic activity under visible light without the assistance of sacrificial reagents or precious metal co-catalysts. These polymer nanostructures are very stable even after repeated cycling. Transmission electron microscopy and nanoscale infrared characterizations reveal that the morphology and structure of the polymer nanostructures remain unchanged after many photocatalytic cycles. These stable and cheap polymer nanofibres are easy to process and can be reused without appreciable loss of activity. Our findings may help the development of semiconducting-based polymers for applications in self-cleaning surfaces, hydrogen generation and photovoltaics.
At a glance
- Semiconductor photocatalysis—past, present, and future outlook. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 3, 673–677 (2012). &
- Surface tuning for oxide-based nanomaterials as efficient photocatalysts. Chem. Soc. Rev. 42, 9509–9549 (2013). , , &
- A review on the visible light active titanium dioxide photocatalysts for environmental applications. Appl. Catal. B 125, 331–349 (2012). et al.
- Enhanced yield of photoinduced electrons in doped silver halide crystals. Nature 402, 865–867 (1999). , , &
- TiO2 nanostructures: Recent physical chemistry advances. J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 3, 663–672 (2012).
- Plasmonic-metal nanostructures for efficient conversion of solar to chemical energy. Nature Mater. 10, 911–921 (2011). , &
- Modification of titanium (IV) dioxide with small silver nanoparticles: Application in photocatalysis. J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 1955–1962 (2013). et al.
- A metal-free polymeric photocatalyst for hydrogen production from water under visible light. Nature Mater. 8, 76–80 (2009). et al.
- Heterogeneous visible light photocatalysis for selective organic transformations. Chem. Soc. Rev. 43, 473–486 (2014). , &
- Recent advances in synthesis, physical properties and applications of conducting polymer nanotubes and nanofibers. Prog. Polym. Sci. 36, 1415–1442 (2011). et al.
- Controlled synthesis and energy applications of one-dimensional conducting polymer nanostructures: An overview. Adv. Energy Mater. 2, 179–218 (2012). &
- Conjugated polymers for photocatalysis. J. Phys. Chem. B 111, 7994–7998 (2007). , , , &
- Preparation and strongly enhanced visible light photocatalytic activity of TiO2 nanoparticles modified by conjugated derivatives of polyisoprene. J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 25806–25815 (2012). , , , &
- Conjugated polymers as photoredox catalysts: Visible-light-driven reduction of aryl aldehydes by poly(p-phenylene). Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2012, 6187–6196 (2012). , &
- Polydiacetylenes–recent molecular advances and applications. RSC Adv. 3, 21192–21201 (2013). &
- Tumor-targeted polydiacetylene micelles for in vivo imaging and drug delivery. Small 7, 2786–2792 (2011). et al.
- Existence and stability of new nanoreactors: Highly swollen hexagonal liquid crystals. Langmuir 21, 4362–4369 (2005). et al.
- PEDOT nanostructures synthesized in hexagonal mesophases. New J. Chem. 38, 1106–1115 (2014). et al.
- 691–774 (John Wiley, 2002). in Handbook of Radical Polymerization (eds Matyjaszewski, K. & Davis, T.) Ch. 13,
- Highly Swollen liquid crystals as new reactors for the synthesis of nanomaterials. Chem. Mater. 17, 1505–1514 (2005). et al.
- AFM-IR: Combining atomic force microscopy and infrared spectroscopy for nanoscale chemical characterization. Appl. Spectrosc. 66, 1365–1384 (2012). et al.
- Chain-length dependence of electronic and electrochemical properties of conjugated systems: Polyacetylene, polyphenylene, polythiophene, and polypyrrole. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 105, 6555–6559 (1983). , , &
- Processable star-shaped molecules with triphenylamine core as hole-transporting materials: Experimental and theoretical approach. J. Phys. Chem. C 116, 3765–3772 (2012). et al.
- Titania photocatalysis beyond recombination: A critical review. Catalysts 3, 942–953 (2013).
- 1983). & Biologie de l’action des rayonnements ionisants (Masson,
- Mechanistic aspects of quantum dot based probing of Cu (II) ions: Role of dendrimer in sensor efficiency. J. Fluoresc. 19, 723–731 (2009). , , &
- Tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane as a probe in heterogeneous TiO2 photocatalysis. J. Adv. Oxid. Technol. 15, 392–398 (2012). &
- Light-driven water oxidation for solar fuels. Coord. Chem. Rev. 256, 2503–2520 (2012). et al.
- Photocatalytic reduction of Ag2SO4 by electrostatic complexes formed by tetracationic zinc porphyrins and tetracobalt Dawson-derived sandwich polyanion. Appl. Catal. A 373, 160–167 (2010). , , , &
- What are titania photocatalysts—an exploratory correlation of photocatalytic activity with structural and physical properties. J. Adv. Oxid. Technol. 13, 247–261 (2010). , , , &
- Correlation between photocatalytic activities and stuctural and physical properties of titanium (IV) oxide powders. Chem. Lett. 38, 238–239 (2009). , , &
- Supplementary Information (1.00 MB)