The simultaneous ordering of different degrees of freedom in complex materials undergoing spontaneous symmetry-breaking transitions often involves intricate couplings that have remained elusive in phenomena as wide ranging as stripe formation1, unconventional superconductivity1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or colossal magnetoresistance1, 8. Ultrafast optical, X-ray and electron pulses can elucidate the microscopic interplay between these orders by probing the electronic and lattice dynamics separately9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, but a simultaneous direct observation of multiple orders on the femtosecond scale has been challenging. Here we show that ultrabroadband terahertz pulses can simultaneously trace the ultrafast evolution of coexisting lattice and electronic orders. For the example of a charge density wave (CDW) in 1T-TiSe2, we demonstrate that two components of the CDW order parameter—excitonic correlations and a periodic lattice distortion (PLD)—respond very differently to 12-fs optical excitation. Even when the excitonic order of the CDW is quenched, the PLD can persist in a coherently excited state. This observation proves that excitonic correlations are not the sole driving force of the CDW transition in 1T-TiSe2, and exemplifies the sort of profound insight that disentangling strongly coupled components of order parameters in the time domain may provide for the understanding of a broad class of phase transitions.
At a glance
- Complexity in strongly correlated electronic systems. Science 309, 257–262 (2005).
- Fluctuating charge-density waves in a cuprate superconductor. Nature Mater. 12, 387–391 (2013). , , , &
- From Mott state to superconductivity in 1T-TaS2. Nature Mater. 7, 960–965 (2008). et al.
- Long-range incommensurate charge fluctuations in (Y, Nd)Ba2Cu3O6 + x. Science 337, 821–825 (2012). et al.
- Ubiquitous interplay between charge ordering and high-temperature superconductivity in cuprates. Science 343, 393–396 (2013). et al.
- Charge-order-maximized momentum-dependent superconductivity. Nature Phys. 3, 720–725 (2007). et al.
- Superconductivity in CuxTiSe2. Nature Phys. 2, 544–550 (2006). et al.
- Fermi surface nesting and nanoscale fluctuating charge/orbital ordering in colossal magnetoresistive oxides. Science 292, 1509–1513 (2001). , , , &
- Coherent dynamics of macroscopic electronic order through a symmetry breaking transition. Nature Phys. 6, 681–684 (2010). et al.
- Time-domain classification of charge-density-wave insulators. Nature Commun. 3, 1069 (2012). et al.
- Ultrafast transient generation of spin-density-wave order in the normal state of BaFe2As2 driven by coherent lattice vibrations. Nature Mater. 11, 497–501 (2012). et al.
- Snapshots of cooperative atomic motions in the optical suppression of charge density waves. Nature 468, 799–802 (2010). et al.
- Transient electronic structure and melting of a charge density wave in TbTe3. Science 321, 1649–1652 (2008). et al.
- Light-induced superconductivity in a stripe-ordered cuprate. Science 331, 189–191 (2011). et al.
- Collapse of long-range charge order tracked by time-resolved photoemission at high momenta. Nature 471, 490–493 (2011). et al.
- Nonthermal melting of a charge density wave in TiSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 036403 (2011). et al.
- Ultrafast changes in lattice symmetry probed by coherent phonons. Nature Commun. 3, 721 (2012). et al.
- Electron–phonon coupling and the soft phonon mode in TiSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 266401 (2011). et al.
- Higgs amplitude mode in the BCS superconductors Nb1 − xTixN induced by terahertz pulse excitation. Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 057002 (2013). et al.
- Semimetal-to-semimetal charge density wave transition in 1T-TiSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 027404 (2007). et al.
- Raman and infrared studies of superlattice formation in TiSe2. Phys. Rev. B 16, 3628–3637 (1977). , , &
- Resonant and nonresonant control over matter and light by intense terahertz transients. Nature Photon. 7, 680–690 (2013). , &
- Carrier dynamics in semiconductors studied with time-resolved terahertz spectroscopy. Rev. Mod. Phys. 83, 543–586 (2011). , , , &
- Evidence for an excitonic insulator phase in 1T-TiSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 146403 (2007). et al.
- Pressure induced superconductivity in pristine 1T-TiSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 236401 (2009). , , , &
- Chiral charge-density waves. Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 176401 (2010). et al.
- Electron–hole coupling and the charge density wave transition in TiSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 226402 (2002). , , &
- Spontaneous exciton condensation in 1T-TiSe2: BCS-like approach. Phys. Rev. B 79, 045116 (2009). et al.
- Exciton–phonon-driven charge density wave in TiSe2. Phys. Rev. B 81, 165109 (2010). , &
- How many-particle interactions develop after ultrafast excitation of an electron–hole plasma. Nature 414, 286–289 (2001). et al.
- Supplementary Information (1.57 MB)