Ultrathin molybdenum disulphide (MoS2) has emerged as an interesting layered semiconductor because of its finite energy bandgap and the absence of dangling bonds. However, metals deposited on the semiconducting 2H phase usually form high-resistance (0.7 kΩ μm–10 kΩ μm) contacts, leading to Schottky-limited transport. In this study, we demonstrate that the metallic 1T phase of MoS2 can be locally induced on semiconducting 2H phase nanosheets, thus decreasing contact resistances to 200–300 Ω μm at zero gate bias. Field-effect transistors (FETs) with 1T phase electrodes fabricated and tested in air exhibit mobility values of ~50 cm2 V−1 s−1, subthreshold swing values below 100 mV per decade, on/off ratios of >107, drive currents approaching ~100 μA μm−1, and excellent current saturation. The deposition of different metals has limited influence on the FET performance, suggesting that the 1T/2H interface controls carrier injection into the channel. An increased reproducibility of the electrical characteristics is also obtained with our strategy based on phase engineering of MoS2.
At a glance
- Single-layer MoS2 transistors. Nature Nanotech. 6, 147–150 (2011). , , , &
- Electronics and optoelectronics of two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides. Nature Nanotech. 7, 699–712 (2012). , , , &
- Emerging device applications for semiconducting two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides. ACS Nano 8, 1102–1120 (2014). , , , &
- Electronic transport and device prospects of monolayer molybdenum disulphide grown by chemical vapour deposition. Nature Commun. 5, 3087 (2014). et al.
- Where does the current flow in two-dimensional layered systems? Nano Lett. 13, 3396–3402 (2013). &
- On the mobility and contact resistance evaluation for transistors based on MoS2 or two-dimensional semiconducting atomic crystals. Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 113504 (2014). , &
- Channel length scaling of MoS2 MOSFETs. ACS Nano 6, 8563–8569 (2012). , &
- Switching mechanism in single-layer molybdenum disulfide transistors: An insight into current flow across Schottky barriers. ACS Nano 8, 1031–1038 (2014). et al.
- et al. High-performance few-layer-MoS2 field-effect-transistor with record low contact-resistance Electron Devices Meet. IEDM 2013 IEEE Int. 19.4.1–19.4.4 (2013)
- Defect-dominated doping and contact resistance in MoS2. ACS Nano 8, 2880–2888 (2014). , , , &
- Integrated circuits and logic operations based on single-layer MoS2. ACS Nano 5, 9934–9938 (2011). , &
- Integrated circuits based on bilayer MoS2 transistors. Nano Lett. 12, 4674–4680 (2012). et al.
- MoS2 nanosheet phototransistors with thickness-modulated optical energy gap. Nano Lett. 12, 3695–3700 (2012). et al.
- How good can monolayer MoS2 transistors be? Nano Lett. 11, 3768–3773 (2011). , &
- Enhancement of carrier mobility in semiconductor nanostructures by dielectric engineering. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 136805 (2007). &
- Characterization of metal contacts for two-dimensional MoS2 nanoflakes. Appl. Phys. Lett. 103, 232105 (2013). et al.
- High performance multilayer MoS2 transistors with scandium contacts. Nano Lett. 13, 100–105 (2013). , , &
- Control of Schottky barriers in single layer MoS2 transistors with ferromagnetic contacts. Nano Lett. 13, 3106–3110 (2013). et al.
- High-performance molybdenum disulfide field-effect transistors with spin tunnel contacts. ACS Nano 8, 476–482 (2014). , , &
- MoS2 p-type transistors and diodes enabled by high work function MoOx contacts. Nano Lett. 14, 1337–1342 (2014). et al.
- Mobility engineering and a metal–insulator transition in monolayer MoS2. Nature Mater. 12, 815–820 (2013). &
- High mobility ambipolar MoS2 field-effect transistors: Substrate and dielectric effects. Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 042104 (2013). , , , &
- Band-like transport in high mobility unencapsulated single-layer MoS2 transistors. Appl. Phys. Lett. 102, 173107 (2013). et al.
- Flexible metallic nanowires with self-adaptive contacts to semiconducting transition-metal dichalcogenide monolayers. Nature Nanotech. 9, 436–442 (2014). et al.
- High-mobility and low-power thin-film transistors based on multilayer MoS2 crystals. Nature Commun. 3, 1011 (2012). et al.
- MoS2 dual-gate MOSFET with atomic-layer-deposited Al2O3 as top-gate dielectric. IEEE Electron Device Lett. 33, 546–548 (2012). &
- Intrinsic electronic transport properties of high-quality monolayer and bilayer MoS2. Nano Lett. 13, 4212–4216 (2013). , , &
- Transport properties of monolayer MoS2 grown by chemical vapor deposition. Nano Lett. 14, 1909–1913 (2014). et al.
- Low-frequency electronic noise in single-layer MoS2 transistors. Nano Lett. 13, 4351–4355 (2013). et al.
- Electrical characterization of back-gated bi-layer MoS2 field-effect transistors and the effect of ambient on their performances. Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 123104 (2012). et al.
- Oxygen environmental and passivation effects on molybdenum disulfide field effect transistors. Nanotechnology 24, 095202 (2013). et al.
- High-gain phototransistors based on a CVD MoS2 monolayer. Adv. Mater. 25, 3456–3461 (2013). et al.
- High-performance MoS2 transistors with low-resistance molybdenum contacts. Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 093106 (2014). , &
- Designing electrical contacts to MoS2 monolayers: A computational study. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 156802 (2012). , &
- Large and tunable photothermoelectric effect in single-layer MoS2. Nano Lett. 13, 358–363 (2013). et al.
- Nature of electronic states in atomically thin MoS2 field-effect transistors. ACS Nano 5, 7707–7712 (2011). , &
- Degenerate n-doping of few-layer transition metal dichalcogenides by potassium. Nano Lett. 13, 1991–1995 (2013). et al.
- Photoluminescence from chemically exfoliated MoS2. Nano Lett. 11, 5111–5116 (2011). et al.
- Enhanced catalytic activity in strained chemically exfoliated WS2 nanosheets for hydrogen evolution. Nature Mater. 12, 850–855 (2013). et al.
- Lithium intercalation via n-butyl lithium of the layered transition metal dichalcogenides. Mater. Res. Bull. 10, 287–291 (1975).
- Single-layer MoS2. Mater. Res. Bull. 21, 457–461 (1986). , &
- Structural destabilization induced by lithium intercalation in MoS2 and related compounds. Can. J. Phys. 61, 76–84 (1983). &
- Lithium intercalation in crystalline LixMoS2. Can. J. Phys. 67, 1049–1052 (1989).
- Octahedral versus trigonal-prismatic coordination and clustering in transition-metal dichalcogenides. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 106, 3453–3460 (1984). &
- Density-functional study of LixMoS2 intercalates (0 ≤ x ≤ 1). Comput. Theor. Chem. 999, 13–20 (2012). &
- The chemistry of two-dimensional layered transition metal dichalcogenide nanosheets. Nature Chem. 5, 263–275 (2013). et al.
- A study of single-layer and restacked MoS2 by X-ray diffraction and X-ray absorption spectroscopy. J. Phys. C 20, 4043–4053 (1987). , , &
- Raman study and lattice dynamics of single molecular layers of MoS2. Phys. Rev. B 44, 3955–3962 (1991). , , &
- Structure of single-molecular-layer MoS2. Phys. Rev. B 43, 12053–12056 (1991). , , , &
- Structure of restacked MoS2 and WS2 elucidated by electron crystallography. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 121, 638–643 (1999). &
- 1T-MoS2, a new metallic modification of molybdenum disulfide. J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. 19, 1386–1388 (1992). &
- Exfoliated–restacked phase of WS2. Chem. Mater. 9, 879–882 (1997). , , , &
- Coherent atomic and electronic heterostructures of single-layer MoS2. ACS Nano 6, 7311–7317 (2012). et al.
- Measurement of mobility in dual-gated MoS2 transistors. Nature Nanotech. 8, 146–147 (2013). &
- International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors www.itrs.net (ITRS, 2012)
- Supplementary Information (1,499 KB)