Numerous optical technologies and quantum optical devices rely on the controlled coupling of a local emitter to its photonic environment, which is governed by the local density of optical states (LDOS). Although precise knowledge of the LDOS is crucial, classical optical techniques fail to measure it in all of its frequency and spatial components. Here, we use a scanning electron beam as a point source to probe the LDOS. Through angular and spectral detection of the electron-induced light emission, we spatially and spectrally resolve the light wave vector and determine the LDOS of Bloch modes in a photonic crystal membrane at an unprecedented deep-subwavelength resolution (30–40 nm) over a large spectral range. We present a first look inside photonic crystal cavities revealing subwavelength details of the resonant modes. Our results provide direct guidelines for the optimum location of emitters to control their emission, and key fundamental insights into light–matter coupling at the nanoscale.
At a glance
- Spontaneous emission probabilities at radio frequencies. Phys. Rev. 69, 681 (1946).
- Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 2486–2489 (1987).
- Strong dispersive effects in the light-scattering mean free path in photonic gaps. Phys. Rev. 79, 241109(R) (2009). , , &
- Deterministic coupling of single quantum dots to single nanocavity modes. Science 308, 1158–1161 (2005). et al.
- Controlling the spontaneous emission rate of single quantum dots in a 2D photonic crystal. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 013904 (2005). et al.
- Unidirectional emission of a quantum dot coupled to a nanoantenna. Science 329, 930–933 (2010). et al.
- High-Q photonic nanocavity in a two-dimensional photonic crystal. Nature 425, 944–947 (2003). , , &
- The quantum internet. Nature 453, 1023–1030 (2008).
- Optical microscopy using a single-molecule light source. Nature 405, 325–328 (2000). , , &
- Diamond colour centres as a nanoscopic light source for scanning near-field optical microscopy. J. Microsc. 202, 2–6 (2001). , , , &
- Scanning emitter lifetime imaging microscopy for spontaneous emission control. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 123602 (2011). , &
- Optical antennas direct single-molecule emission. Nature Photon. 2, 234–237 (2008). , , &
- Deterministic coupling of a single nitrogen vacancy center to a photonic crystal cavity. Nano Lett. 10, 3922–3926 (2010). et al.
- Relationship between scanning near-field optical images and local density of photonic states. Chem. Phys. Lett. 345, 512–516 (2001). , , &
- Polarization-sensitive near-field investigation of photonic crystal microcavities. Appl. Phys. Lett. 94, 163102 (2009). et al.
- Thermal radiation scanning tunnelling microscopy. Nature 444, 740–743 (2006). et al.
- Visualization of surface plasmon polariton waves in two-dimensional plasmonic crystal by cathodoluminescence. Opt. Express 19, 12365–12374 (2011). &
- Optical excitations in electron microscopy. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 209–275 (2010).
- Local density of states, spectrum, and far-field interference of surface plasmon polaritons probed by cathodoluminescence. Phys. Rev. B 79, 113405 (2009). et al.
- Angle-resolved cathodoluminescence spectroscopy. Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 143103 (2011). , &
- Ultrasmall mode volume plasmonic nanodisk resonators. Nano Lett. 10, 1537–1541 (2009). , &
- Gap and Mie plasmons in individual silver nanospheres near a silver surface. Nano Lett. 11, 91–95 (2011). , &
- Hyperspectral imaging of plasmonic nanostructures with nanoscale resolution. Opt. Exp. 15, 11313–11320 (2007). , , , &
- Plasmonic whispering gallery cavities as optical nanoantennas. Nano Lett. 11, 5524–5530 (2011). &
- Enhancement and directionality of spontaneous emission in hybrid self-assembled photonic-plasmonic crystals. Small 6, 1757–1761 (2010). et al.
- Manipulating light with strongly modulated photonic crystals. Rep. Prog. Phys. 73, 096501 (2010).
- Optimization of the Q factor in photonic crystal microcavities. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 38, 850–856 (2002). , , &
- Optical nanorod antennas modeled as cavities for dipolar emitters: Evolution of sub- and super-radiant modes. Nano Lett. 11, 1020–1024 (2011). , &
- Deep subwavelength spatial characterization of angular emission from single-crystal Au plasmonic ridge nanoantennas. ACS Nano 6, 1742–1750 (2012). , &
- Cathodoluminescence Plasmon Microscopy, Utrecht University, PhD thesis (2009).
- Supplementary Information (320 KB)