Graphene has demonstrated great promise for future electronics technology as well as fundamental physics applications because of its linear energy–momentum dispersion relations which cross at the Dirac point1, 2. However, accessing the physics of the low-density region at the Dirac point has been difficult because of disorder that leaves the graphene with local microscopic electron and hole puddles3, 4, 5. Efforts have been made to reduce the disorder by suspending graphene, leading to fabrication challenges and delicate devices which make local spectroscopic measurements difficult6, 7. Recently, it has been shown that placing graphene on hexagonal boron nitride (hBN) yields improved device performance8. Here we use scanning tunnelling microscopy to show that graphene conforms to hBN, as evidenced by the presence of Moiré patterns. However, contrary to predictions9, 10, this conformation does not lead to a sizeable band gap because of the misalignment of the lattices. Moreover, local spectroscopy measurements demonstrate that the electron–hole charge fluctuations are reduced by two orders of magnitude as compared with those on silicon oxide. This leads to charge fluctuations that are as small as in suspended graphene6, opening up Dirac point physics to more diverse experiments.
At a glance
- The rise of graphene. Nature Mater. 6, 183–191 (2007). &
- The electronic properties of graphene. Rev. Mod. Phys. 81, 109–162 (2009). , , , &
- Observation of electron–hole puddles in graphene using a scanning single-electron transistor. Nature Phys. 4, 144–148 (2008). et al.
- Spatially resolved spectroscopy of monolayer graphene on SiO2. Phys. Rev. B 79, 205411 (2009). , , , &
- Origin of spatial charge inhomogeneity in graphene. Nature Phys. 5, 722–726 (2009). , , , &
- Approaching ballistic transport in suspended graphene. Nature Nanotech. 3, 491–495 (2008). , , &
- Temperature-dependent transport in suspended graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 096802 (2008). , , , &
- Boron nitride substrates for high-quality graphene electronics. Nature Nanotech. 5, 722–726 (2010). et al.
- Substrate-induced band gap in graphene on hexagonal boron nitride: Ab initio density functional calculations. Phys. Rev. B 76, 073103 (2007). , , , &
- Energy gap tuning in graphene on hexagonal boron nitride bilayer system. Phys. Rev. B 81, 155433 (2010). , &
- Two-dimensional atomic crystals. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102, 10451–10453 (2005). et al.
- Charged-impurity scattering in graphene. Nature Phys. 4, 377–381 (2008). et al.
- Ground state of graphene in the presence of random charged impurities. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 166803 (2008). &
- Fractional quantum Hall effect and insulating phase of Dirac electrons in graphene. Nature 462, 192–195 (2009). , , , &
- Observation of the fractional quantum Hall effect in graphene. Nature 462, 196–199 (2009). , , , &
- Controlled ripple texturing of suspended graphene and ultrathin graphite membranes. Nature Nanotech. 4, 562–566 (2009). et al.
- Structural and electronic properties of h-BN. Phys. Rev. B 68, 104102 (2003). , &
- Direct-bandgap properties and evidence for ultraviolet lasing of hexagonal boron nitride single crystal. Nature Mater. 3, 404–409 (2004). , &
- High-fidelity conformation of graphene to SiO2 topographic features. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 215504 (2010). et al.
- Atomic structure of graphene on SiO2. Nano Lett. 7, 1643–1648 (2007). , , , &
- High-resolution scanning tunnelling microscopy imaging of mesoscopic graphene sheets on an insulating surface. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104, 9209–9212 (2007). et al.
- Ultraflat graphene. Nature 462, 339–341 (2009). , , , &
- Graphene as an electronic membrane. Europhys. Lett. 84, 57007 (2009). &
- Midgap states and charge inhomogeneities in corrugated graphene. Phys. Rev. B 77, 0705422 (2008). , &
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1008.3606v1 (2010). & Tip induced doping effects in local tunnel spectra of graphene. Preprint at
- Determination of the electronic structure of bilayer graphene from infrared spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. B 78, 235408 (2008). et al.
- Scanning tunnelling spectroscopy of graphene on graphite. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 176804 (2009). , &
- Synthesis of high-purity boron nitride single crystals under high pressure by using Ba–Bn solvent. J. Cryst. Growth 303, 525–529 (2007). &
- The structure of suspended graphene sheets. Nature 446, 60–63 (2007). et al.
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.5556v2 (2010). et al. Electronic compressibility of gapped bilayer graphene. Preprint at
- Supplementary Information (460 KB)