We previously demonstrated that low biosynthesis of ω–3 fatty acid–derived proresolution mediators, termed protectins, is associated with an impaired global resolution capacity, inflammation and insulin resistance in obese high-fat diet–fed mice1. These findings prompted a more direct study of the therapeutic potential of protectins for the treatment of metabolic disorders. Herein we show that protectin DX (PDX) exerts an unanticipated glucoregulatory activity that is distinct from its anti-inflammatory actions. We found that PDX selectively stimulated the release of the prototypic myokine interleukin-6 (IL-6) from skeletal muscle and thereby initiated a myokine-liver signaling axis, which blunted hepatic glucose production via signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 (STAT3)-mediated transcriptional suppression of the gluconeogenic program. These effects of PDX were abrogated in Il6-null mice. PDX also activated AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK); however, it did so in an IL-6–independent manner. Notably, we demonstrated that administration of PDX to obese diabetic db/db mice raises skeletal muscle IL-6 levels and substantially improves their insulin sensitivity without any impact on adipose tissue inflammation. Our findings thus support the development of PDX-based selective muscle IL-6 secretagogues as a new class of therapy for the treatment of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
At a glance
- Transgenic restoration of long-chain n–3 fatty acids in insulin target tissues improves resolution capacity and alleviates obesity-linked inflammation and insulin resistance in high-fat–fed mice. Diabetes 59, 3066–3073 (2010). , , , &
- Anti-inflammatory actions of neuroprotectin D1/protectin D1 and its natural stereoisomers: assignments of dihydroxy-containing docosatrienes. J. Immunol. 176, 1848–1859 (2006). et al.
- Full characterization of PDX, a neuroprotectin/protectin D1 isomer, which inhibits blood platelet aggregation. FEBS Lett. 583, 3478–3484 (2009). et al.
- Adiponectin enhances insulin sensitivity by increasing hepatic IRS-2 expression via a macrophage-derived IL-6–dependent pathway. Cell Metab. 13, 401–412 (2011). et al.
- Muscle as an endocrine organ: focus on muscle-derived interleukin-6. Physiol. Rev. 88, 1379–1406 (2008). &
- Muscles, exercise and obesity: skeletal muscle as a secretory organ. Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 8, 457–465 (2012). &
- Brown adipose tissue regulates glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity. J. Clin. Invest. 123, 215–223 (2013). et al.
- Adenosine 5′-monophosphate–activated protein kinase promotes macrophage polarization to an anti-inflammatory functional phenotype. J. Immunol. 181, 8633–8641 (2008). , , &
- Role of hepatic STAT3 in brain-insulin action on hepatic glucose production. Cell Metab. 3, 267–275 (2006). et al.
- Role of STAT-3 in regulation of hepatic gluconeogenic genes and carbohydrate metabolism in vivo. Nat. Med. 10, 168–174 (2004). et al.
- Interleukin-6 increases insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in humans and glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation in vitro via AMP-activated protein kinase. Diabetes 55, 2688–2697 (2006). et al.
- Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase by interleukin-6 in rat skeletal muscle: association with changes in cAMP, energy state, and endogenous fuel mobilization. Diabetes 58, 1953–1960 (2009). , , &
- AMPK activity is diminished in tissues of IL-6 knockout mice: the effect of exercise. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 320, 449–454 (2004). et al.
- Resolvin D1 and resolvin D2 govern local inflammatory tone in obese fat. J. Immunol. 189, 2597–2605 (2012). , , , &
- Palmitate-induced interleukin 6 production is mediated by protein kinase C and nuclear-factor κB activation and leads to glucose transporter 4 down-regulation in skeletal muscle cells. Endocrinology 146, 3087–3095 (2005). , , &
- TLR4 links innate immunity and fatty acid-induced insulin resistance. J. Clin. Invest. 116, 3015–3025 (2006). et al.
- Interleukin-6 signaling in liver-parenchymal cells suppresses hepatic inflammation and improves systemic insulin action. Cell Metab. 12, 237–249 (2010). et al.
- Point: interleukin-6 does have a beneficial role in insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasis. J. Appl. Physiol. 102, 814–816 (2007). &
- Signaling by IL-6 promotes alternative activation of macrophages to limit endotoxemia and obesity-associated resistance to insulin. Nat. Immunol. 15, 423–430 (2014). et al.
- The effect of interleukin-6 and the interleukin-6 receptor on glucose transport in mouse skeletal muscle. Exp. Physiol. 94, 899–905 (2009). , , , &
- Metabolic response to endotoxin in vivo in the conscious mouse: role of interleukin-6. Metabolism 60, 92–98 (2011). et al.
- Inhibition of inducible nitric-oxide synthase by activators of AMP-activated protein kinase: a new mechanism of action of insulin-sensitizing drugs. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 20767–20774 (2004). , &
- Resveratrol inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase in skeletal muscle involves AMPK but not SIRT1. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 301, E922–E930 (2011). , &
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase induction underlies lipid-induced hepatic insulin resistance in mice: potential role of tyrosine nitration of insulin signaling proteins. Diabetes 59, 861–871 (2010). &
- Targeted disruption of carcinoembryonic antigen-related cell adhesion molecule 1 promotes diet-induced hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance. Endocrinology 150, 3503–3512 (2009). et al.
- Estimation of the rate of appearance in the non-steady state with a two-compartment model. Am. J. Physiol. 263, E400–E415 (1992).
- Nobiletin attenuates VLDL overproduction, dyslipidemia, and atherosclerosis in mice with diet-induced insulin resistance. Diabetes 60, 1446–1457 (2011). et al.
- Hepatocyte-specific Ptpn6 deletion protects from obesity-linked hepatic insulin resistance. Diabetes 61, 1949–1958 (2012). et al.
- HSP72 protects against obesity-induced insulin resistance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 1739–1744 (2008). et al.
- AMPK activation through mitochondrial regulation results in increased substrate oxidation and improved metabolic parameters in models of diabetes. PLoS ONE 8, e81870 (2013). et al.
- STAT3 sensitizes insulin signaling by negatively regulating glycogen synthase kinase-3 β. Diabetes 57, 1227–1235 (2008). et al.
- Reduced liver injury in the interleukin-6 knockout mice by chronic carbon tetrachloride administration. Eur. J. Clin. Invest. 38, 306–316 (2008). et al.
- Analyzing real-time PCR data by the comparative CT method. Nat. Protoc. 3, 1101–1108 (2008). &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (3,433 KB)
Supplementary Figures 1–6