Neutrophils have key roles in modulating the immune response. We present a robust methodology for rapidly isolating neutrophils directly from whole blood with 'on-chip' processing for mRNA and protein isolation for genomics and proteomics. We validate this device with an ex vivo stimulation experiment and by comparison with standard bulk isolation methodologies. Last, we implement this tool as part of a near-patient blood processing system within a multi-center clinical study of the immune response to severe trauma and burn injury. The preliminary results from a small cohort of subjects in our study and healthy controls show a unique time-dependent gene expression pattern clearly demonstrating the ability of this tool to discriminate temporal transcriptional events of neutrophils within a clinical setting.
At a glance
Gene Expression Omnibus
- Neutrophils and immunity: challenges and opportunities. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 6, 173–182 (2006).
- Cytokine expression and release by neutrophils. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 832, 233–242 (1997). , &
- Activation of the NF-κB pathway by inflammatory stimuli in human neutrophils. Blood 89, 3421–3433 (1997). , &
- Transcriptional profiling of peripheral blood cells in clinical pharmacogenomic studies. Pharmacogenomics 7, 187–202 (2006). &
- A network-based analysis of systemic inflammation in humans. Nature 437, 1032–1037 (2005). et al.
- Cell-specific expression and pathway analyses reveal alterations in trauma-related human T cell and monocyte pathways. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 15564–15569 (2006). et al.
- Isolation of human neutrophils from venous blood. Methods Mol. Biol. 412, 15–20 (2007).
- Impact of preanalytical variables on granulocytic surface antigen expression: a review. Cytometry B Clin. Cytom. 65, 1–5 (2005). &
- The production of cytokines by polymorphonuclear neutrophils. Immunol. Today 16, 21–26 (1995).
- A microchip approach for practical label-free CD4+ T-cell counting of HIV-infected subjects in resource-poor settings. J. Acquir. Immune Defic. Syndr. 45, 257–261 (2007). et al.
- Isolation of rare circulating tumour cells in cancer patients by microchip technology. Nature 450, 1235–1239 (2007). et al.
- Microarray analysis of human leucocyte subsets: the advantages of positive selection and rapid purification. BMC Genomics 8, 64 (2007). et al.
- The RIN: an RNA integrity number for assigning integrity values to RNA measurements. BMC Mol. Biol. 7, 3 (2006). et al.
- Biphasic production of IL-8 in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated human whole blood. J. Immunol. 148, 2133–2141 (1992). , , , &
- Evidence for a cross-talk between human neutrophils and TH17 cells. Blood 115, 335–343 (2009). et al.
- Selective activation of peripheral blood T cell subsets by endotoxin infusion in healthy human subjects corresponds to differential chemokine activation. J. Immunol. 175, 6155–6162 (2005). et al.
- Induction of MHC class II on human polymorphonuclear neutrophils by granulocyte/macrophage colony-stimulating factor, IFN-γ and IL-3. J. Immunol. 151, 1482–1490 (1993). , , &
- Application of genome-wide expression analysis to human health and disease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102, 4801–4806 (2005). et al.
- Microarray-based comparison of three amplification methods for nanogram amounts of total RNA. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 288, C1179–C1189 (2005). et al.
- Cell capture using a microfluidic device. J. Vis. Exp. published online, doi:10.3791/320 (1 October 2007). , &
- Achieving stability of lipopolysaccharide-induced NF-κB activation. Science 309, 1854–1857 (2005). , , &
- The transcriptional program of terminal granulocytic differentiation. Blood 105, 1785–1796 (2005). et al.
- Down-regulation of proinflammatory capacity during apoptosis in human polymorphonuclear leukocytes. J. Immunol. 170, 3357–3368 (2003). , , &
- A genomic and proteomic analysis of activation of the human neutrophil by lipopolysaccharide and its mediation by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 31291–31302 (2002). , , &
- Gene expression in mature neutrophils: early responses to inflammatory stimuli. J. Leukoc. Biol. 75, 358–372 (2004). et al.
- Microarray analysis of lipopolysaccharide-treated human neutrophils. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 284, L663–L670 (2003). , , , &
- Spontaneous neutrophil apoptosis and regulation of cell survival by granulocyte macrophage-colony stimulating factor. J. Leukoc. Biol. 78, 1408–1418 (2005). , , &
- Mass spectrometry–based proteomics turns quantitative. Nat. Chem. Biol. 1, 252–262 (2005). &
- Comprehensive mass-spectrometry–based proteome quantification of haploid versus diploid yeast. Nature 455, 1251–1254 (2008). et al.
- Proteomic analysis of macrophages stimulated by lipopolysaccharide: Lipopolysaccharide inhibits the cleavage of nucleophosmin. Electrophoresis 27, 1659–1668 (2006). et al.
- Lipocalin 2–deficient mice exhibit increased sensitivity to Escherichia coli infection but not to ischemia-reperfusion injury. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 1834–1839 (2006). et al.
- Identification by microsequencing of lipopolysaccharide-induced proteins secreted by mouse macrophages. J. Immunol. 151, 1535–1547 (1993). et al.
- PDMS device fabrication and surface modification. J. Vis. Exp. published online, doi:10.3791/319 (1 October 2007). , &
- Model-based analysis of oligonucleotide arrays: expression index computation and outlier detection. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98, 31–36 (2001). &
- Significance analysis of microarrays applied to the ionizing radiation response. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98, 5116–5121 (2001). , &
- Advances in proteomics data analysis and display using an accurate mass and time tag approach. Mass Spectrom. Rev. 25, 450–482 (2006). , , &
- Advances and challenges in liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry–based proteomics profiling for clinical applications. Mol. Cell. Proteomics 5, 1727–1744 (2006). , , , &
- Spatial mapping of protein abundances in the mouse brain by voxelation integrated with high-throughput liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry. Genome Res. 17, 328–336 (2007). et al.
- DAnTE: a statistical tool for quantitative analysis of -omics data. Bioinformatics 24, 1556–1558 (2008). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (860K)
Supplementary Figures 1–3, Supplementary Tables 1–2,4,6-7,9-12 and Supplementary Methods
- Supplementary Table 3 (2M)
Significantly perturbed genes and proteins following ex vivo stimulation of whole blood by LPS or GM+I.
- Supplementary Table 5 (608K)
Gene expression across all subjects for the genes in Figure 2f comparing microfluidic isolation with Ficoll-dextran isolation
- Supplementary Table 8 (6M)
Significantly perturbed genes after severe trauma injury