Hematopoietic stem cell (HSC) self-renewal is regulated by both intrinsic and extrinsic signals. Although some of the pathways that regulate HSC self-renewal have been uncovered, it remains largely unknown whether these pathways can be triggered by deliverable growth factors to induce HSC growth or regeneration. Here we show that pleiotrophin, a neurite outgrowth factor with no known function in hematopoiesis, efficiently promotes HSC expansion in vitro and HSC regeneration in vivo. Treatment of mouse bone marrow HSCs with pleiotrophin caused a marked increase in long-term repopulating HSC numbers in culture, as measured in competitive repopulating assays. Treatment of human cord blood CD34+CDCD38−Lin− cells with pleiotrophin also substantially increased severe combined immunodeficient (SCID)-repopulating cell counts in culture, compared to input and cytokine-treated cultures. Systemic administration of pleiotrophin to irradiated mice caused a pronounced expansion of bone marrow stem and progenitor cells in vivo, indicating that pleiotrophin is a regenerative growth factor for HSCs. Mechanistically, pleiotrophin activated phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K) signaling in HSCs; antagonism of PI3K or Notch signaling inhibited pleiotrophin-mediated expansion of HSCs in culture. We identify the secreted growth factor pleiotrophin as a new regulator of both HSC expansion and regeneration.
At a glance
Gene Expression Omnibus
- Intrinsic and extrinsic control of haematopoietic stem-cell self-renewal. Nature 453, 306–313 (2008).
- SnapShot: hematopoiesis. Cell 132, 712 (2008). &
- Uncertainty in the niches that maintain haematopoietic stem cells. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 8, 290–301 (2008). &
- The Notch ligand, Jagged-1, influences the development of primitive hematopoietic precursor cells. Blood 91, 4084–4091 (1998). et al.
- Notch1 activation increases hematopoietic stem cell self-renewal in vivo and favors lymphoid over myeloid lineage outcome. Blood 99, 2369–2378 (2002). , , , &
- A role for Wnt signalling in self-renewal of haematopoietic stem cells. Nature 423, 409–414 (2003). et al.
- Smad4 is critical for self-renewal of hematopoietic stem cells. J. Exp. Med. 204, 467–474 (2007). et al.
- Angiopoietin-like proteins stimulate ex vivo expansion of hematopoietic stem cells. Nat. Med. 12, 240–245 (2006). et al.
- Prostaglandin E2 regulates vertebrate haematopoietic stem cell homeostasis. Nature 447, 1007–1011 (2007). et al.
- A molecular profile of a hematopoietic stem cell niche. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99, 13061–13066 (2002). et al.
- Ex vivo culture with human brain endothelial cells increases the SCID-repopulating capacity of adult human bone marrow. Blood 100, 4433–4439 (2002). et al.
- HOXB4-induced expansion of adult hematopoietic stem cells ex vivo . Cell 109, 39–45 (2002). , &
- Signaling pathways governing stem-cell fate. Blood 111, 492–503 (2008). , &
- Pleiotrophin signals increased tyrosine phosphorylation of β-catenin through inactivation of the intrinsic catalytic activity of the receptor-type protein tyrosine phosphatase β/ζ. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97, 2603–2608 (2000). et al.
- Identification of anaplastic lymphoma kinase as a receptor for the growth factor pleiotrophin. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 16772–16779 (2001). et al.
- The survival-promoting peptide Y-P30 enhances binding of pleiotrophin to syndecan-2 and -3 and supports its neuritogenic activity. J. Biol. Chem. 283, 25036–25045 (2008). , , , &
- Pleiotrophin, a multifunctional angiogenic factor: mechanisms and pathways in normal and pathological angiogenesis. Curr. Opin. Hematol. 15, 210–214 (2008). , &
- Upregulation of pleiotrophin gene expression in developing microvasculature, macrophages and astrocytes after acute ischemic brain injury. J. Neurosci. 18, 3699–3707 (1998). , , , &
- Secretion of pleiotrophin stimulates breast cancer progression through remodeling of the tumor microenvironment. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 10888–10893 (2007). et al.
- Soluble factors elaborated by human brain endothelial cells induce the concomitant expansion of purified human bone marrow CD34+CDCD38− cells and SCID-repopulating cells. Blood 105, 576–583 (2005). , , &
- Transplantation of vascular endothelial cells mediates the hematopoietic recovery and survival of lethally irradiated mice. Blood 109, 2365–2372 (2007). et al.
- Human mesenchymal stromal cells regulate initial self-renewing divisions of hematopoietic progenitor cells by a β1-integrin–dependent mechanism. Stem Cells 25, 798–806 (2007). et al.
- Endothelial progenitor cell infusion induces hematopoietic stem cell reconstitution in vivo . Blood 113, 2104–2107 (2009). et al.
- Isolation and functional properties of murine hematopoietic stem cells that are replicating in vivo . J. Exp. Med. 183, 1797–1806 (1996). , , , &
- Modulation of hematopoietic stem cell homing and engraftment by CD26. Science 305, 1000–1003 (2004). , , &
- Pleiotrophin: a cytokine with diverse functions and a novel signaling pathway. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 397, 162–171 (2002). , , , &
- Signal transduction pathways involved in the mitogenic activity of pleiotrophin. Implication of mitogen-activated protein kinase and phosphoinositide 3-kinase pathways. J. Biol. Chem. 272, 19588–19593 (1997). , , &
- The effect of pleiotrophin signaling on adipogenesis. FEBS Lett. 581, 382–388 (2007). et al.
- HES-1 preserves purified hematopoietic stem cells ex vivo and accumulates side population cells in vivo . Blood 101, 1777–1783 (2003). et al.
- Osteoblastic cells regulate the haematopoietic stem cell niche. Nature 425, 841–846 (2003). et al.
- The role of the PTEN/AKT pathway in NOTCH1-induced leukemia. Cell Cycle 7, 965–970 (2008). , &
- The PTEN-PI3K pathway: of feedbacks and cross-talks. Oncogene 27, 5527–5541 (2008). &
- Engraftment and reconstitution of hematopoiesis is dependent on VEGFR2-mediated regeneration of sinusoidal endothelial cells. Cell Stem Cell 4, 263–274 (2009). et al.
- Activation of Wnt signaling in hematopoietic regeneration. Stem Cells 26, 1202–1210 (2008). et al.
- PTEN maintains haematopoietic stem cells and acts in lineage choice and leukaemia prevention. Nature 441, 518–522 (2006). et al.
- Foxo3a is essential for maintenance of the hematopoietic stem cell pool. Cell Stem Cell 1, 101–112 (2007). et al.
- Therapeutic targeting of a stem cell niche. Nat. Biotechnol. 25, 238–243 (2007). et al.
- Gene expression signatures that predict radiation exposure in mice and humans. PLoS Med. 4, e106 (2007). et al.
- Inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase and retinoid signaling induces the expansion of human hematopoietic stem cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 11707–11712 (2006). et al.
- Expansion of human CB CD34+CD38− in ex vivo culture during retroviral transduction without a corresponding increase in SCID-repopulating cell frequency: dissocation of SRC function and phenotype. Blood 95, 102–110 (2000). , , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (800K)
Supplementary Figs. 1–5, Supplementary Tables 1 and 2 and Supplementary Methods