Weather and climate in the Northern Hemisphere is profoundly affected by the Arctic Oscillation, a quasi-periodic fluctuation in atmospheric pressure that occurs on interannual to interdecadal timescales1. Reconstructions of the Arctic Oscillation over longer timescales have suggested additional centennial- to millennial-scale variations in the phase of the oscillation, but often with conflicting results2. Here we assess patterns of sea-ice drift in the Arctic Ocean over the past 8,000 years by geochemically determining the source of ice-rafted iron grains in a sediment core off the coast of Alaska. We identify pulses of sediment carried by sea ice from the Kara Sea3, which can reach the coast of Alaska only during a strongly positive Arctic Oscillation4, 5. On the basis of these observations, we construct a record of the Arctic Oscillation phase, and identify a 1,500-year periodicity similar to that found in Holocene records of ice-rafted debris6, 7 in the North Atlantic, distinct from a 1,000-year cycle that has been found in total solar irradiance8. We conclude that the 1,500-year cycle in the Arctic Oscillation arises from either internal variability of the climate system or as an indirect response to low-latitude solar forcing.
At a glance
- Hurrell, J. W., Kushnir, Y., Ottersen, G. & Visbeck, M. (eds) The North Atlantic Oscillation: Climatic Significance and Environmental Impact (Geophys. Monogr. Ser., Vol. 134, 1–279, AGU, 2003).
- Extending the North Atlantic Oscillation reconstructions back to 1500. Atmos. Sci. Lett. 2, 114–124 (2002). et al.
- Sources of sediment found in sea ice from the western Arctic Ocean, new insights into processes of entrainment and drift patterns. J. Geophys. Res. 108, 3257 (2003).
- Patterns of arctic circulation. Science 293, 1269–1270 (2001).
- On the response of sea ice to the Arctic Oscillation. J. Clim. 15, 2648–2668 (2002). , &
- A pervasive millennial-scale cycle in North Atlantic Holocene and glacial climates. Science 278, 1257–1266 (1997). et al.
- Evidence for general instability of past climate from a 250-kyr ice core record. Nature 364, 218–220 (1993). et al.
- Large variations in Holocene solar activity: Constraints from 10Be in the Greenland Ice Core Project ice core. J. Geophys. Res. 111, A10105 (2006). , &
- Stochastic resonance in the North Atlantic. Paleoceanography 16, 190–198 (2001). , &
- Total solar irradiance during the Holocene. Geophys. Res. Lett. 36, L19704 (2009). , &
- Extension to the North Atlantic Oscillation using early instrumental pressure observations from Gibraltar and south-west Iceland. Int. J. Climatol. 17, 1433–1450 (1997). , &
- Variability of the North Atlantic Oscillation over the past 5,200 years. Nature Geo. 5, 808–812 (2012). , &
- North Pacific and North Atlantic sea-surface temperature variability during the Holocene. Quat. Sci. Rev. 23, 2141–2154 (2004). et al.
- Multicentennial-scale hydrological changes in the Black Sea and northern Red Sea during the Holocene and the Arctic/North Atlantic Oscillation. Paleoceanography 21, PA1008 (2006). , , , &
- The role of currents and sea ice in both slowly deposited central Arctic and rapidly deposited Chukchi-Alaskan margin sediments. Glob. Planet. Change 68, 58–72 (2009). et al.
- New record of pronounced changes in Arctic Ocean circulation and climate. EOS 82, 603–607 (2001). et al.
- Relative sensitivity of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation to river discharge into Hudson Bay and the Arctic Ocean. J. Geophys. Res. 112, G04S48 (2007). , , , &
- Persistent solar influence on North Atlantic climate during the Holocene. Science 294, 2130–2133 (2001). et al.
- Presence of the sola deVries cycle (~ 205 years) during the last ice age. Geophys. Res. Lett. 28, 303–306 (2001). et al.
- Solar forcing of regional climate change during the Maunder Minimum. Science 294, 2149–2152 (2001). , , , &
- A two-parameter stochastic process for Dansgaard-Oeschger events. Paleoceanography 26, PA3214 (2011). , , &
- Dynamical response of the tropical Pacific Ocean to solar forcing during the early Holocene. Science 330, 1378–1381 (2010). , , , &
- El Niño as a mediator of the solar influence on climate. Paleoceanography 22, PA3210 (2007). , , , &
- An orbitally driven tropical source for abrupt climate change. J. Clim. 14, 2369–2375 (2001). , &
- Winter 2009–2010: A case study of an extreme Arctic Oscillation event. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37, L17707 (2010). , , , &
- Arctic sea-ice motion and its relation to pressure field. J. Oceanogr. 63, 505–515 (2007). &
- Sea ice sediment entrainment and rafting in the Arctic. J. Sedim. Petrol. 59, 308–317 (1989). , &
- Chemical fingerprinting in detrital ilmenite: a viable alternative in provenance research? J. Sed. Res. 62, 331–337 (1992).
- Extended 14C database and revised CALIB radiocarbon calibration program. Radiocarbon 35, 215–230 (1993). &
- 210Pb-derived chronology and the fluxes of 210Pb and 137Cs isotopes into continental shelf sediments, east Chukchi Sea, Alaskan Arctic. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 59, 4435–4448 (1995). &
- 304 (Cambridge Univ. Press, 1997). & Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
- Supplementary Information (2.5 mB)