Cancers exhibit extensive mutational heterogeneity, and the resulting long-tail phenomenon complicates the discovery of genes and pathways that are significantly mutated in cancer. We perform a pan-cancer analysis of mutated networks in 3,281 samples from 12 cancer types from The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) using HotNet2, a new algorithm to find mutated subnetworks that overcomes the limitations of existing single-gene, pathway and network approaches. We identify 16 significantly mutated subnetworks that comprise well-known cancer signaling pathways as well as subnetworks with less characterized roles in cancer, including cohesin, condensin and others. Many of these subnetworks exhibit co-occurring mutations across samples. These subnetworks contain dozens of genes with rare somatic mutations across multiple cancers; many of these genes have additional evidence supporting a role in cancer. By illuminating these rare combinations of mutations, pan-cancer network analyses provide a roadmap to investigate new diagnostic and therapeutic opportunities across cancer types.
At a glance
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Comprehensive molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature 490, 61–70 (2012).
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Comprehensive genomic characterization defines human glioblastoma genes and core pathways. Nature 455, 1061–1068 (2008).
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network. Comprehensive molecular characterization of clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Nature 99, 43–49 (2013).
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Integrated genomic analyses of ovarian carcinoma. Nature 474, 609–615 (2011).
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network. Comprehensive genomic characterization of squamous cell lung cancers. Nature 489, 519–525 (2012).
- Integrated genomic characterization of endometrial carcinoma. Nature 497, 67–73 (2013). et al.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Genomic and epigenomic landscapes of adult de novo acute myeloid leukemia. N. Engl. J. Med. 368, 2059–2074 (2013).
- The cancer genome. Nature 458, 719–724 (2009). , &
- Cancer genome landscapes. Science 339, 1546–1558 (2013). et al.
- Lessons from the cancer genome. Cell 153, 17–37 (2013). &
- Discovery and saturation analysis of cancer genes across 21 tumour types. Nature 505, 495–501 (2014). et al.
- Mutational landscape and significance across 12 major cancer types. Nature 502, 333–339 (2013). et al.
- Pan-cancer patterns of somatic copy number alteration. Nat. Genet. 45, 1134–1140 (2013). et al.
- The Cancer Genome Atlas Pan-Cancer analysis project. Nat. Genet. 45, 1113–1120 (2013). et al.
- Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell 144, 646–674 (2011). &
- Algorithms for detecting significantly mutated pathways in cancer. J. Comput. Biol. 18, 507–522 (2011). , &
- Discovery of mutated subnetworks associated with clinical data in cancer. Pac. Symp. Biocomput. 2012, 55–66 (2012). , , &
- The mutational landscape of lethal castration-resistant prostate cancer. Nature 487, 239–243 (2012). et al.
- Network-based stratification of tumor mutations. Nat. Methods 10, 1108–1115 (2013). , , , &
- Mutational heterogeneity in cancer and the search for new cancer-associated genes. Nature 499, 214–218 (2013). et al.
- HINT: high-quality protein interactomes and their applications in understanding human disease. BMC Syst. Biol. 6, 92 (2012). &
- Next-generation sequencing to generate interactome datasets. Nat. Methods 8, 478–480 (2011). et al.
- Interpretation of genomic variants using a unified biological network approach. PLOS Comput. Biol. 9, e1002886 (2013). , , &
- iRefIndex: a consolidated protein interaction database with provenance. BMC Bioinformatics 9, 405 (2008). , &
- Multiplatform analysis of 12 cancer types reveals molecular classification within and across tissues of origin. Cell 158, 929–944 (2014). et al.
- Functional impact bias reveals cancer drivers. Nucleic Acids Res. 40, e169 (2012). &
- Oncodrive-CIS: a method to reveal likely driver genes based on the impact of their copy number changes on expression. PLoS ONE 8, e55489 (2013). , &
- MuSiC: identifying mutational significance in cancer genomes. Genome Res. 22, 1589–1598 (2012). et al.
- GISTIC2.0 facilitates sensitive and confident localization of the targets of focal somatic copy-number alteration in human cancers. Genome Biol. 12, R41 (2011). et al.
- Statistical method on nonrandom clustering with application to somatic mutations in cancer. BMC Bioinformatics 11, 11 (2010). , , , &
- Utilizing protein structure to identify non-random somatic mutations. BMC Bioinformatics 14, 190 (2013). , , , &
- Combinatorial patterns of somatic gene mutations in cancer. FASEB J. 22, 2605–2622 (2008). , &
- De novo discovery of mutated driver pathways in cancer. Genome Res. 22, 375–385 (2012). , &
- Nrf2 and Keap1 abnormalities in non–small cell lung carcinoma and association with clinicopathologic features. Clin. Cancer Res. 16, 3743–3753 (2010). et al.
- Molecular mechanisms for the regulation of Nrf2-mediated cell proliferation in non-small-cell lung cancers. Oncogene 31, 4768–4777 (2012). et al.
- CHD8 is an ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling factor that regulates β-catenin target genes. Mol. Cell. Biol. 28, 3894–3904 (2008). , , &
- Canonical Notch signalling is inactive in urothelial carcinoma. BMC Cancer 14, 628 (2014). et al.
- SWI/SNF nucleosome remodellers and cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer 11, 481–492 (2011). &
- Exome sequencing identifies frequent mutation of the SWI/SNF complex gene PBRM1 in renal carcinoma. Nature 469, 539–542 (2011). et al.
- Proteomic and bioinformatic analysis of mammalian SWI/SNF complexes identifies extensive roles in human malignancy. Nat. Genet. 45, 592–601 (2013). et al.
- Integrated genomic analyses identify ARID1A and ARID1B alterations in the childhood cancer neuroblastoma. Nat. Genet. 45, 12–17 (2013). et al.
- Mutations affecting components of the SWI/SNF complex cause Coffin-Siris syndrome. Nat. Genet. 44, 376–378 (2012). et al.
- Activity-dependent neuroprotective protein constitutes a novel element in the SWI/SNF chromatin remodeling complex. J. Biol. Chem. 282, 34448–34456 (2007). &
- Recombinant activity-dependent neuroprotective protein protects cells against oxidative stress. Mol. Cell. Endocrinol. 252, 148–153 (2006). &
- BAP1 and cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer 13, 153–159 (2013). et al.
- BAP1 loss defines a new class of renal cell carcinoma. Nat. Genet. 44, 751–759 (2012). et al.
- Human LSD2/KDM1b/AOF1 regulates gene transcription by modulating intragenic H3K4me2 methylation. Mol. Cell 39, 222–233 (2010). et al.
- Histone demethylation mediated by the nuclear amine oxidase homolog LSD1. Cell 119, 941–953 (2004). et al.
- Can corruption of chromosome cohesion create a conduit to cancer? Nat. Rev. Cancer 11, 199–210 (2011). , &
- CTCF physically links cohesin to chromatin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 8309–8314 (2008). et al.
- A CTCF-independent role for cohesin in tissue-specific transcription. Genome Res. 20, 578–588 (2010). et al.
- Recurrent mutations in multiple components of the cohesin complex in myeloid neoplasms. Nat. Genet. 45, 1232–1237 (2013). et al.
- Frequent truncating mutations of STAG2 in bladder cancer. Nat. Genet. 45, 1428–1430 (2013). et al.
- Condensin and cohesin complexity: the expanding repertoire of functions. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11, 391–404 (2010). , &
- Condensins: universal organizers of chromosomes with diverse functions. Genes Dev. 26, 1659–1678 (2012).
- hCAP-D3 expression marks a prostate cancer subtype with favorable clinical behavior and androgen signaling signature. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 32, 205–209 (2008). et al.
- Emerging landscape of oncogenic signatures across human cancers. Nat. Genet. 45, 1127–1133 (2013). et al.
- Integrative approaches for finding modular structure in biological networks. Nat. Rev. Genet. 14, 719–732 (2013). , , &
- The heat kernel as the pagerank of a graph. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 19735–19740 (2007).
- Bookmark-Coloring algorithm for personalized PageRank computing. Internet Math. 3, 41–62 (2006).
- Systematic and integrative analysis of large gene lists using DAVID Bioinformatics Resources. Nat. Protoc. 4, 44–57 (2009). , &
- Bioinformatics enrichment tools: paths toward the comprehensive functional analysis of large gene lists. Nucleic Acids Res. 37, 1–13 (2009). , &
- PGC-1α–responsive genes involved in oxidative phosphorylation are coordinately downregulated in human diabetes. Nat. Genet. 34, 267–273 (2003). et al.
- Gene set enrichment analysis: a knowledge-based approach for interpreting genome-wide expression profiles. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102, 15545–15550 (2005). et al.
- Mutual exclusivity analysis identifies oncogenic network modules. Genome Res. 22, 398–406 (2012). , , &
- Telomerase and cancer. Hum. Mol. Genet. 10, 677–685 (2001). , , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (14,625 KB)
Supplementary Note and Supplementary Figures 1–30.