Using exome sequencing, we identify SERAC1 mutations as the cause of MEGDEL syndrome, a recessive disorder of dystonia and deafness with Leigh-like syndrome, impaired oxidative phosphorylation and 3-methylglutaconic aciduria. We localized SERAC1 at the interface between the mitochondria and the endoplasmic reticulum in the mitochondria-associated membrane fraction that is essential for phospholipid exchange. A phospholipid analysis in patient fibroblasts showed elevated concentrations of phosphatidylglycerol-34:1 (where the species nomenclature denotes the number of carbon atoms in the two acyl chains:number of double bonds in the two acyl groups) and decreased concentrations of phosphatidylglycerol-36:1 species, resulting in an altered cardiolipin subspecies composition. We also detected low concentrations of bis(monoacyl-glycerol)-phosphate, leading to the accumulation of free cholesterol, as shown by abnormal filipin staining. Complementation of patient fibroblasts with wild-type human SERAC1 by lentiviral infection led to a decrease and partial normalization of the mean ratio of phosphatidylglycerol-34:1 to phosphatidylglycerol-36:1. Our data identify SERAC1 as a key player in the phosphatidylglycerol remodeling that is essential for both mitochondrial function and intracellular cholesterol trafficking.
At a glance
NCBI Reference Sequence
- De novo biosynthesis of the late endosome lipid, bis(monoacylglycero)phosphate. J. Lipid Res. 48, 1997–2008 (2007). et al.
- The biosynthesis and functional role of cardiolipin. Prog. Lipid Res. 39, 257–288 (2000). , &
- Late endosomal membranes rich in lysobisphosphatidic acid regulate cholesterol transport. Nat. Cell Biol. 1, 113–118 (1999). et al.
- The role of cardiolipin in the structural organization of mitochondrial membranes. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1788, 2080–2083 (2009). &
- Cardiolipin acts as a mitochondrial signalling platform to launch apoptosis. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1788, 2022–2031 (2009). &
- The enigmatic role of tafazzin in cardiolipin metabolism. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1788, 2003–2014 (2009). et al.
- An X-linked mitochondrial disease affecting cardiac muscle, skeletal muscle and neutrophil leucocytes. J. Neurol. Sci. 62, 327–355 (1983). et al.
- The 3-methylglutaconic acidurias: what's new? J. Inherit. Metab. Dis. 35, 13–22 (2012). , , , &
- A novel X-linked gene, G4.5, is responsible for Barth syndrome. Nat. Genet. 12, 385–389 (1996). et al.
- Association of 3-methylglutaconic aciduria with sensori-neural deafness, encephalopathy, and Leigh-like syndrome (MEGDEL association) in four patients with a disorder of the oxidative phosphorylation. Mol. Genet. Metab. 88, 47–52 (2006). et al.
- Biochemical and genetic analysis of 3-methylglutaconic aciduria type IV: a diagnostic strategy. Brain 132, 136–146 (2009). et al.
- Exome sequencing identifies WDR35 variants involved in Sensenbrenner syndrome. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 87, 418–423 (2010). et al.
- News from the interface: the molecular structures of triacylglyceride lipases. Trends Biochem. Sci. 18, 20–25 (1993). &
- Predicting deleterious amino acid substitutions. Genome Res. 11, 863–874 (2001). &
- A method and server for predicting damaging missense mutations. Nat. Methods 7, 248–249 (2010). et al.
- Lysobisphosphatidic acid controls endosomal cholesterol levels. J. Biol. Chem. 283, 27871–27880 (2008). et al.
- Nonesterified cholesterol content of lysosomes modulates susceptibility to oxidant-induced permeabilization. Free Radic. Biol. Med. 50, 281–294 (2011). , , , &
- σ-1 receptor chaperones at the ER-mitochondrion interface regulate Ca2+ signaling and cell survival. Cell 131, 596–610 (2007). &
- A rapidly sedimenting fraction of rat liver endoplasmic reticulum. J. Cell Sci. 13, 447–459 (1973). &
- Phospholipid synthesis in a membrane fraction associated with mitochondria. J. Biol. Chem. 265, 7248–7256 (1990).
- A simple salting out procedure for extracting DNA from human nucleated cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 16, 1215 (1988). , &
- PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 81, 559–575 (2007). et al.
- Cardiolipin and monolysocardiolipin analysis in fibroblasts, lymphocytes, and tissues using high-performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry as a diagnostic test for Barth syndrome. Anal. Biochem. 387, 230–237 (2009). et al.
- Filipin test for diagnosis of Niemann-Pick disease type C. Sb. Lek. 94, 137–143 (1993). &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (4 MB)
Supplementary Note, Supplementary Figures 1–13 and Supplementary Tables 1–6.