Genome-wide association studies have identified 32 loci influencing body mass index, but this measure does not distinguish lean from fat mass. To identify adiposity loci, we meta-analyzed associations between ~2.5 million SNPs and body fat percentage from 36,626 individuals and followed up the 14 most significant (P < 10−6) independent loci in 39,576 individuals. We confirmed a previously established adiposity locus in FTO (P = 3 × 10−26) and identified two new loci associated with body fat percentage, one near IRS1 (P = 4 × 10−11) and one near SPRY2 (P = 3 × 10−8). Both loci contain genes with potential links to adipocyte physiology. Notably, the body-fat–decreasing allele near IRS1 is associated with decreased IRS1 expression and with an impaired metabolic profile, including an increased visceral to subcutaneous fat ratio, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, risk of diabetes and coronary artery disease and decreased adiponectin levels. Our findings provide new insights into adiposity and insulin resistance.
At a glance
- Anonymous. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report of a WHO consultation. World Health Organ. Tech. Rep. Ser. 894, 1–253 (2000).
- Genetic and environmental factors in relative body weight and human adiposity. Behav. Genet. 27, 325–351 (1997). , &
- A common variant in the FTO gene is associated with body mass index and predisposes to childhood and adult obesity. Science 316, 889–894 (2007). et al.
- Common variants near MC4R are associated with fat mass, weight and risk of obesity. Nat. Genet. 40, 768–775 (2008). et al.
- Genome-wide association scan shows genetic variants in the FTO gene are associated with obesity-related traits. PLoS Genet. 3, e115 (2007). et al.
- Genome-wide association yields new sequence variants at seven loci that associate with measures of obesity. Nat. Genet. 41, 18–24 (2009). et al.
- Six new loci associated with body mass index highlight a neuronal influence on body weight regulation. Nat. Genet. 41, 25–34 (2009). et al.
- Association analyses of 249,796 individuals reveal 18 new loci associated with body mass index. Nat. Genet. 42, 937–948 (2010). et al.
- Biological, clinical and population relevance of 95 loci for blood lipids. Nature 466, 707–713 (2010). et al.
- Genetic variant near IRS1 is associated with type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Nat. Genet. 41, 1110–1115 (2009). et al.
- Genomewide association analysis of coronary artery disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 357, 443–453 (2007). et al.
- Insulin sensitivity indices obtained from oral glucose tolerance testing: comparison with the euglycemic insulin clamp. Diabetes Care 22, 1462–1470 (1999). &
- Validation of the insulin sensitivity index (ISI(0,120)): comparison with other measures. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 47, 177–184 (2000). et al.
- The adipocyte as an active participant in energy balance and metabolism. Gastroenterology 132, 2103–2115 (2007). &
- Obesity-associated improvements in metabolic profile through expansion of adipose tissue. J. Clin. Invest. 117, 2621–2637 (2007). et al.
- It's not how fat you are, it's what you do with it that counts. PLoS Biol. 6, e237 (2008). &
- Genetics of gene expression and its effect on disease. Nature 452, 423–428 (2008). et al.
- Integrating pathway analysis and genetics of gene expression for genome-wide association studies. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 86, 581–591 (2010). , , , &
- A survey of genetic human cortical gene expression. Nat. Genet. 39, 1494–1499 (2007). et al.
- Sprouty proteins, masterminds of receptor tyrosine kinase signaling. Angiogenesis 11, 53–62 (2008). &
- The C terminus of sprouty is important for modulation of cellular migration and proliferation. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 22742–22747 (2001). , , , &
- Overexpression of sprouty 2 inhibits HGF/SF-mediated cell growth, invasion, migration, and cytokinesis. Oncogene 23, 5193–5202 (2004). et al.
- Regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation and migration by human sprouty 2. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 25, 533–538 (2005). et al.
- Sprouty1 is a critical regulatory switch of mesenchymal stem cell lineage allocation. FASEB J. 24, 3264–3273 (2010). et al.
- NRXN3 is a novel locus for waist circumference: a genome-wide association study from the CHARGE Consortium. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000539 (2009). et al.
- Genome-wide association scan meta-analysis identifies three loci influencing adiposity and fat distribution. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000508 (2009). et al.
- Genome-wide association study for early-onset and morbid adult obesity identifies three new risk loci in European populations. Nat. Genet. 41, 157–159 (2009). et al.
- Two new loci for body-weight regulation identified in a joint analysis of genome-wide association studies for early-onset extreme obesity in French and German study groups. PLoS Genet. 6, e1000916 (2010). et al.
- Meta-analysis identifies 13 new loci associated with waist-hip ratio and reveals sexual dimorphism in the genetic basis of fat distribution. Nat. Genet. 42, 949–960 (2010). et al.
- Physiologic characterization of type 2 diabetes-related loci. Curr. Diab. Rep. 10, 485–497 (2010). , &
- Multiple sites of insulin resistance: muscle, liver and adipose tissue. Exp. Clin. Endocrinol. Diabetes 107, 107–110 (1999). &
- Insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes: role of fatty acids. Diabetes Metab. Res. Rev. 18 (Suppl 2) S5–S9 (2002).
- Subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue: their relation to the metabolic syndrome. Endocr. Rev. 21, 697–738 (2000).
- Alternative pathway of insulin signalling in mice with targeted disruption of the IRS-1 gene. Nature 372, 186–190 (1994). et al.
- Insulin resistance and growth retardation in mice lacking insulin receptor substrate-1. Nature 372, 182–186 (1994). et al.
- Insulin receptor substrate-2 (IRS-2) can mediate the action of insulin to stimulate translocation of GLUT4 to the cell surface in rat adipose cells. J. Biol. Chem. 272, 29829–29833 (1997). et al.
- Role of insulin receptor substrate-1 and pp60 in the regulation of insulin-induced glucose transport and GLUT4 translocation in primary adipocytes. J. Biol. Chem. 272, 25839–25844 (1997). et al.
- The 60 kDa insulin receptor substrate functions like an IRS protein (pp60IRS3) in adipose cells. Biochemistry 36, 8304–8310 (1997). et al.
- Lipoatrophic diabetes in Irs1(−/−)/Irs3(−/−) double knockout mice. Genes Dev. 16, 3213–3222 (2002). et al.
- Essential role of insulin receptor substrate 1 (IRS-1) and IRS-2 in adipocyte differentiation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 21, 2521–2532 (2001). et al.
- Differential roles of insulin receptor substrates in brown adipocyte differentiation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 24, 1918–1929 (2004). , , &
- Reconstructing Indian population history. Nature 461, 489–494 (2009). , , , &
- Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular risk in the UK south Asian community. Diabetologia 49, 2234–2246 (2006). et al.
- LocusZoom: regional visualization of genome-wide association scan results. Bioinformatics 26, 2336–2337 (2010). et al.
- 1.0: rapid haplotype reconstruction and missing genotype inference. Am. J. Hum. Genet. S79, 2290 (2006). &
- A new multipoint method for genome-wide association studies by imputation of genotypes. Nat. Genet. 39, 906–913 (2007). , , , &
- Imputation-based analysis of association studies: candidate regions and quantitative traits. PLoS Genet. 3, e114 (2007). &
- Common genetic variation near MC4R is associated with waist circumference and insulin resistance. Nat. Genet. 40, 716–718 (2008). et al.
- Merlin—rapid analysis of dense genetic maps using sparse gene flow trees. Nat. Genet. 30, 97–101 (2002). , , &
- PLINK: a tool set for whole-genome association and population-based linkage analyses. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 81, 559–575 (2007). et al.
- Identification and characterization of a promoter cassette conferring adipocyte-specific gene expression. Endocrinology 151, 2933–2939 (2010). , , , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (1M)
Supplementary Tables 1–9, Supplementary Figures 1–7 and Supplementary Note.