Pulmonary function measures reflect respiratory health and are used in the diagnosis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. We tested genome-wide association with forced expiratory volume in 1 second and the ratio of forced expiratory volume in 1 second to forced vital capacity in 48,201 individuals of European ancestry with follow up of the top associations in up to an additional 46,411 individuals. We identified new regions showing association (combined P < 5 × 10−8) with pulmonary function in or near MFAP2, TGFB2, HDAC4, RARB, MECOM (also known as EVI1), SPATA9, ARMC2, NCR3, ZKSCAN3, CDC123, C10orf11, LRP1, CCDC38, MMP15, CFDP1 and KCNE2. Identification of these 16 new loci may provide insight into the molecular mechanisms regulating pulmonary function and into molecular targets for future therapy to alleviate reduced lung function.
At a glance
- Evidence for major genes influencing pulmonary function in the NHLBI family heart study. Genet. Epidemiol. 19, 81–94 (2000). et al.
- Impaired lung function and mortality risk in men and women: findings from the Renfrew and Paisley prospective population study. Br. Med. J. 313, 711–715, discussion 715–716 (1996). et al.
- Ventilatory function, height, and mortality among lifelong non-smokers. J. Epidemiol. Community Health 46, 66–70 (1992).
- Forced expiratory volume in one second: not just a lung function test but a marker of premature death from all causes. Eur. Respir. J. 30, 616–622 (2007). , &
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: current burden and future projections. Eur. Respir. J. 27, 397–412 (2006). et al.
- Projections of global mortality and burden of disease from 2002 to 2030. PLoS Med. 3, e442 (2006). &
- Global strategy for the diagnosis, management, and prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: GOLD executive summary. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 176, 532–555 (2007). et al.
- Meta-analyses of genome-wide association studies identify multiple loci associated with pulmonary function. Nat. Genet. 42, 45–52 (2010). et al.
- Genome-wide association study identifies five loci associated with lung function. Nat. Genet. 42, 36–44 (2010). et al.
- A genome-wide association study in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): identification of two major susceptibility loci. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000421 (2009). et al.
- A genome-wide association study of pulmonary function measures in the Framingham Heart Study. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000429 (2009). et al.
- Genomic inflation factors under polygenic inheritance. Eur. J. Hum. Genet. 19, 807–812 (2011). et al.
- Thirty new loci for age at menarche identified by a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Nat. Genet. 42, 1077–1085 (2010). et al.
- Hundreds of variants clustered in genomic loci and biological pathways affect human height. Nature 467, 832–838 (2010). et al.
- Genome-wide association scan meta-analysis identifies three loci influencing adiposity and fat distribution. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000508 (2009). et al.
- A genome-wide association study of global gene expression. Nat. Genet. 39, 1202–1207 (2007). et al.
- The major antigen of elastin-associated microfibrils is a 31-kDa glycoprotein. J. Biol. Chem. 261, 11429–11436 (1986). , , &
- Rootletin, a novel coiled-coil protein, is a structural component of the ciliary rootlet. J. Cell Biol. 159, 431–440 (2002). et al.
- Retinoic acid receptor-β: an endogenous inhibitor of the perinatal formation of pulmonary alveoli. Physiol. Genomics 4, 51–57 (2000). et al.
- Cdc123 and checkpoint forkhead associated with RING proteins control the cell cycle by controlling eIF2γ abundance. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 44656–44666 (2004). , , &
- Decreased histone deacetylase activity in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 352, 1967–1976 (2005). et al.
- Parental smoking modifies the relation between genetic variation in tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF) and childhood asthma. Environ. Health Perspect. 115, 616–622 (2007). et al.
- Tumour necrosis factor gene complex polymorphisms in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir. Med. 101, 340–344 (2007). et al.
- Transforming growth factor-β2 induces bronchial epithelial mucin expression in asthma. Am. J. Pathol. 165, 1097–1106 (2004). et al.
- Meta-analysis and imputation refines the association of 15q25 with smoking quantity. Nat. Genet. 42, 436–440 (2010). et al.
- A genome-wide association study of lung cancer identifies a region of chromosome 5p15 associated with risk for adenocarcinoma. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 85, 679–691 (2009). et al.
- Genome-wide association of early-onset myocardial infarction with single nucleotide polymorphisms and copy number variants. Nat. Genet. 41, 334–341 (2009). et al.
- Identification of candidate loci at 6p21 and 21q22 in a genome-wide association study of cardiac manifestations of neonatal lupus. Arthritis Rheum. 62, 3415–3424 (2010). et al.
- Genome-wide association scan in women with systemic lupus erythematosus identifies susceptibility variants in ITGAM, PXK, KIAA1542 and other loci. Nat. Genet. 40, 204–210 (2008). et al.
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data and large-scale replication identifies additional susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes. Nat. Genet. 40, 638–645 (2008). et al.
- Genome-wide association study and meta-analysis find that over 40 loci affect risk of type 1 diabetes. Nat. Genet. 41, 703–707 (2009). et al.
- Genome-wide association study of blood pressure and hypertension. Nat. Genet. 41, 677–687 (2009). et al.
- Genome-wide association study identifies eight loci associated with blood pressure. Nat. Genet. 41, 666–676 (2009). et al.
- Estimation of effect size distribution from genome-wide association studies and implications for future discoveries. Nat. Genet. 42, 570–575 (2010). et al.
- Genome partitioning of genetic variation for complex traits using common SNPs. Nat. Genet. 43, 519–525 (2011). et al.
- The natural history of chronic airflow obstruction revisited: an analysis of the framingham offspring cohort. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 180, 3–10 (2009). et al.
- Spirometric reference values from a sample of the general U.S. population. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 159, 179–187 (1999). , &
- Utility of genetic and non-genetic risk factors in prediction of type 2 diabetes: Whitehall II prospective cohort study. Br. Med. J. 340, b4838 (2010). et al.
- Performance of common genetic variants in breast-cancer risk models. N. Engl. J. Med. 362, 986–993 (2010). et al.
- Epithelial-derived TGF-β2 modulates basal and wound-healing subepithelial matrix homeostasis. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 291, L1277–L1285 (2006). , , , &
- The story of SPATA2 (spermatogenesis-associated protein 2): from Sertoli cells to pancreatic β-cells. Curr. Genomics 10, 361–363 (2009). , , &
- Armadillo-repeat protein functions: questions for little creatures. Trends Cell Biol. 20, 470–481 (2010). , , &
- Identification and molecular characterization of NKp30, a novel triggering receptor involved in natural cytotoxicity mediated by human natural killer cells. J. Exp. Med. 190, 1505–1516 (1999). et al.
- Beyond endocytosis: LRP function in cell migration, proliferation and vascular permeability. J. Thromb. haemost. 3, 1884–1893 (2005). , &
- Coiled coils: a highly versatile protein folding motif. Trends Cell Biol. 11, 82–88 (2001). , &
- Characterization of basolateral K+ channels underlying anion secretion in the human airway cell line Calu-3. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 538, 747–757 (2002). &
- Mach 1.0: rapid haplotype construction and missing genotype inference. Am. J. Hum. Genet. S79, 2290 (2006). &
- A new multipoint method for genome-wide association studies by imputation of genotypes. Nat. Genet. 39, 906–913 (2007). , , , &
- Imputation-based analysis of association studies: candidate regions and quantitative traits. PLoS Genet. 3, e114 (2007). &
- Genomic control for association studies. Biometrics 55, 997–1004 (1999). &
- Variants in FAM13A are associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Nat. Genet. 42, 200–202 (2010). et al.
- Loci identified by genome-wide association studies influence different disease-related phenotypes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 182, 1498–1505 (2010). et al.
- Common inherited variation in mitochondrial genes is not enriched for associations with type 2 diabetes or related glycemic traits. PLoS Genet. 6, e1001058 (2010). , , , &
- Identifying relationships among genomic disease regions: predicting genes at pathogenic SNP associations and rare deletions. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000534 (2009). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (4M)
Supplementary Figure 1, Supplementary Tables 1–6 and Supplementary Note