By combining genome-wide association data from 8,130 individuals with type 2 diabetes (T2D) and 38,987 controls of European descent and following up previously unidentified meta-analysis signals in a further 34,412 cases and 59,925 controls, we identified 12 new T2D association signals with combined P < 5 × 10−8. These include a second independent signal at the KCNQ1 locus; the first report, to our knowledge, of an X-chromosomal association (near DUSP9); and a further instance of overlap between loci implicated in monogenic and multifactorial forms of diabetes (at HNF1A). The identified loci affect both beta-cell function and insulin action, and, overall, T2D association signals show evidence of enrichment for genes involved in cell cycle regulation. We also show that a high proportion of T2D susceptibility loci harbor independent association signals influencing apparently unrelated complex traits.
At a glance
- Type 2 diabetes: principles of pathogenesis and therapy. Lancet 365, 1333–1346 (2005). , &
- A genome-wide association study identifies novel risk loci for type 2 diabetes. Nature 445, 881–885 (2007). et al.
- Replication of genome-wide association signals in UK samples reveals risk loci for type 2 diabetes. Science 316, 1336–1341 (2007). et al.
- Genome-wide association analysis identifies loci for type 2 diabetes and triglyceride levels. Science 316, 1331–1336 (2007). et al.
- A genome-wide association study of type 2 diabetes in Finns detects multiple susceptibility variants. Science 316, 1341–1345 (2007). et al.
- A variant in CDKAL1 influences insulin response and risk of type 2 diabetes. Nat. Genet. 39, 770–775 (2007). et al.
- Meta-analysis of genome-wide association data and large-scale replication identifies additional susceptibility loci for type 2 diabetes. Nat. Genet. 40, 638–645 (2008). et al.
- Variants in KCNQ1 are associated with susceptibility to type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nat. Genet. 40, 1092–1097 (2008). et al.
- SNPs in KCNQ1 are associated with susceptibility to type 2 diabetes in East Asian and European populations. Nat. Genet. 40, 1098–1102 (2008). et al.
- Genetic variant near IRS1 is associated with type 2 diabetes, insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Nat. Genet. 41, 1110–1115 (2009). et al.
- Parental origin of sequence variants associated with complex diseases. Nature 462, 868–874 (2009). et al.
- New genetic loci implicated in fasting glucose homeostasis and their impact on type 2 diabetes risk. Nat. Genet. 42, 105–116 (2010). et al.
- Genetic variation in gastric inhibitory polypeptide receptor (GIPR) impacts the glucose and insulin responses to an oral glucose challenge. Nat. Genet. 42, 142–148 (2010). et al.
- Variants in MTNR1B influence fasting glucose levels. Nat. Genet. 41, 77–81 (2009). et al.
- A variant near MTNR1B is associated with increased fasting plasma glucose levels and type 2 diabetes risk. Nat. Genet. 41, 89–94 (2009). et al.
- Common variant in MTNR1B associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes and impaired early insulin secretion. Nat. Genet. 41, 82–88 (2009). et al.
- Regional loss of imprinting and growth deficiency in mice with a targeted deletion of KvDMR1. Nat. Genet. 32, 426–431 (2002). , &
- p57(KIP2) expression in normal islet cells and in hyperinsulinism of infancy. Diabetes 50, 2763–2769 (2001). et al.
- Common variants at ten loci influence QT interval duration in the QTGEN Study. Nat. Genet. 41, 399–406 (2009). et al.
- Common variants at ten loci modulate the QT interval duration in the QTSCD Study. Nat. Genet. 41, 407–414 (2009). et al.
- Association of common variation in the HNF1α gene region with risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 54, 2336–2342 (2005). et al.
- A large-scale association analysis of common variation of the HNF1α gene with type 2 diabetes in the U.K. Caucasian population. Diabetes 54, 2487–2491 (2005). et al.
- Common variants in maturity-onset diabetes of the young genes contribute to risk of type 2 diabetes in Finns. Diabetes 55, 2534–2540 (2006). et al.
- The hepatic nuclear factor-1alpha G319S variant is associated with early-onset type 2 diabetes in Canadian Oji-Cree. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 84, 1077–1082 (1999). , , , &
- Empirical risk figures for first degree relatives of non-insulin-dependent diabetics. in The Genetics of Diabetes Mellitus (eds. Kobberling, J. & Tattersall, R.) 201–209 (Academic Press, New York, 1982). &
- Finding the missing heritability of complex diseases. Nature 461, 747–753 (2009). et al.
- Haplotypic analysis of Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium data. Hum. Genet. 123, 273–280 (2008). &
- A common variant of HMGA2 is associated with adult and childhood height in the general population. Nat. Genet. 39, 1245–1250 (2007). et al.
- New common variants affecting susceptibility to basal cell carcinoma. Nat. Genet. 41, 909–914 (2009). et al.
- Common variants at 30 loci contribute to polygenic dyslipidemia. Nat. Genet. 41, 56–65 (2009). et al.
- Polymorphisms of the HNF1A gene encoding hepatocyte nuclear factor-1 alpha are associated with C-reactive protein. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 82, 1193–1201 (2008). et al.
- Loci related to metabolic-syndrome pathways including LEPR, HNF1A, IL6R, and GCKR associate with plasma C-reactive protein: the Women's Genome Health Study. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 82, 1185–1192 (2008). et al.
- Genetic loci associated with C-reactive protein levels and risk of coronary heart disease. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 302, 37–48 (2009). et al.
- The same sequence variant on 9p21 associates with myocardial infarction, abdominal aortic aneurysm and intracranial aneurysm. Nat. Genet. 40, 217–224 (2008). et al.
- Genomewide association analysis of coronary artery disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 357, 443–453 (2007). et al.
- A common allele on chromosome 9 associated with coronary heart disease. Science 316, 1488–1491 (2007). et al.
- Multiple loci identified in a genome-wide association study of prostate cancer. Nat. Genet. 40, 310–315 (2008). et al.
- Genome-wide association defines more than 30 distinct susceptibility loci for Crohn's disease. Nat. Genet. 40, 955–962 (2008). et al.
- Common variants in the JAZF1 gene associated with height identified by linkage and genome-wide association analysis. Hum. Mol. Genet. 18, 373–380 (2009). et al.
- Differential contribution of CDKAL1 variants to psoriasis, Crohn's disease and type II diabetes. Genes Immun. 10, 654–658 (2009). et al.
- Potential etiologic and functional implications of genome-wide association loci for human diseases and traits. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106, 9362–9367 (2009). et al.
- Insulin storage and glucose homeostasis in mice null for the granule zinc transporter ZnT8 and studies of the type 2 diabetes-associated variants. Diabetes 58, 2070–2083 (2009). et al.
- Six new loci associated with body mass index highlight a neuronal influence on body weight regulation. Nat. Genet. 41, 25–34 (2009). et al.
- Newly identified loci highlight beta cell dysfunction as a key cause of type 2 diabetes: where are the insulin resistance genes? Diabetologia 51, 1100–1110 (2008).
- In vivo modulation of Hmgic reduces obesity. Nat. Genet. 24, 377–380 (2000). &
- Variant near ADAMTS9 known to associate with type 2 diabetes is related to insulin resistance in offspring of type 2 diabetes patients–EUGENE2 study. PLoS One 4, e7236 (2009). et al.
- Genetics of gene expression and its effect on disease. Nature 452, 423–428 (2008). et al.
- Diverse genome-wide association studies associate the IL12/IL23 pathway with Crohn Disease. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 84, 399–405 (2009). et al.
- Identifying relationships among genomic disease regions: predicting genes at pathogenic SNP associations and rare deletions. PLoS Genet. 5, e1000534 (2009). et al.
- The PANTHER database of protein families, subfamilies, functions and pathways. Nucleic Acids Res. 33, D284–D288 (2005). et al.
- Reactome knowledgebase of human biological pathways and processes. Nucleic Acids Res. 37, D619–D622 (2009). et al.
- Gene set enrichment analysis: a knowledge-based approach for interpreting genome-wide expression profiles. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102, 15545–15550 (2005). et al.
- Differential regulation of the insulin-like growth factor II mRNA-binding protein genes by architectural transcription factor HMGA2. FEBS Lett. 569, 277–283 (2004). et al.
- HMGA2 regulates transcription of the Imp2 gene via an intronic regulatory element in cooperation with nuclear factor-kappaB. Mol. Cancer Res. 5, 363–372 (2007). et al.
- Variants of CDKAL1 and IGF2BP2 affect first-phase insulin secretion during hyperglycaemic clamps. Diabetologia 51, 1659–1663 (2008). et al.
- All Tcf HMG box transcription factors interact with Groucho-related co-repressors. Nucleic Acids Res. 29, 1410–1419 (2001). , , &
- The Notch1 receptor is cleaved constitutively by a furin-like convertase. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95, 8108–8112 (1998). et al.
- Effects of S1 cleavage on the structure, surface export, and signaling activity of human Notch1 and Notch2. PLoS One 4, e6613 (2009). et al.
- Characterization of ADAMTS-9 and ADAMTS-20 as a distinct ADAMTS subfamily related to Caenorhabditis elegans GON-1. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 9503–9513 (2003). et al.
- Identification of the imprinted KLF14 transcription factor undergoing human-specific accelerated evolution. PLoS Genet. 3, e65 (2007). et al.
- Overexpression of the dual-specificity phosphatase MKP-4/DUSP-9 protects against stress-induced insulin resistance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 3545–3550 (2008). , , &
- Dual specificity mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase phosphatase-4 plays a potential role in insulin resistance. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 30187–30192 (2003). et al.
- Common regulatory variation impacts gene expression in a cell type-dependent manner. Science 325, 1246–1250 (2009). et al.
- Genomic control for association studies. Biometrics 55, 997–1004 (1999). &
- Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses. Br. Med. J. 327, 557–560 (2003). , , &
- Exhaustive allelic transmission disequilibrium tests as a new approach to genome-wide association studies. Nat. Genet. 36, 1181–1188 (2004). , &
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 28, 412–409 (1985). et al.
- TCF7L2 variants are associated with increased proinsulin/insulin ratios but not obesity traits in the Framingham Heart Study. Diabetologia 52, 614–620 (2009). et al.
- A common inversion under selection in Europeans. Nat. Genet. 37, 129–137 (2005). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (9M)
Supplementary Note, Supplementary Figures 1 and 2 and Supplementary Tables 1–6