Follicular lymphoma (FL) and the GCB subtype of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL) derive from germinal center B cells1. Targeted resequencing studies have revealed mutations in various genes encoding proteins in the NF-κB pathway2, 3 that contribute to the activated B-cell (ABC) DLBCL subtype, but thus far few GCB-specific mutations have been identified4. Here we report recurrent somatic mutations affecting the polycomb-group oncogene5 EZH2, which encodes a histone methyltransferase responsible for trimethylating Lys27 of histone H3 (H3K27). After the recent discovery of mutations in KDM6A (UTX), which encodes the histone H3K27me3 demethylase UTX, in several cancer types6, EZH2 is the second histone methyltransferase gene found to be mutated in cancer. These mutations, which result in the replacement of a single tyrosine in the SET domain of the EZH2 protein (Tyr641), occur in 21.7% of GCB DLBCLs and 7.2% of FLs and are absent from ABC DLBCLs. Our data are consistent with the notion that EZH2 proteins with mutant Tyr641 have reduced enzymatic activity in vitro.
At a glance
- Distinct types of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma identified by gene expression profiling. Nature 403, 503–511 (2000). et al.
- Mutations of multiple genes cause deregulation of NF-κB in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Nature 459, 717–721 (2009). et al.
- Frequent inactivation of A20 in B-cell lymphomas. Nature 459, 712–716 (2009). et al.
- Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma subgroups have distinct genetic profiles that influence tumor biology and improve gene-expression-based survival prediction. Blood 106, 3183–3190 (2005). et al.
- EZH2 is a marker of aggressive breast cancer and promotes neoplastic transformation of breast epithelial cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 11606–11611 (2003). et al.
- Somatic mutations of the histone H3K27 demethylase gene UTX in human cancer. Nat. Genet. 41, 521–523 (2009). et al.
- Profiling the HeLa S3 transcriptome using randomly primed cDNA and massively parallel short-read sequencing. Biotechniques 45, 81–94 (2008). et al.
- Mapping and quantifying mammalian transcriptomes by RNA-Seq. Nat. Methods 5, 621–628 (2008). , , , &
- DNA sequencing of a cytogenetically normal acute myeloid leukaemia genome. Nature 456, 66–72 (2008). et al.
- Silencing of human polycomb target genes is associated with methylation of histone H3 Lys 27. Genes Dev. 18, 1592–1605 (2004). et al.
- Stromal gene signatures in large-B-cell lymphomas. N. Engl. J. Med. 359, 2313–2323 (2008). et al.
- Structural basis for the requirement of additional factors for MLL1 SET domain activity and recognition of epigenetic marks. Mol. Cell 33, 181–191 (2009). , , , &
- The SET-domain protein superfamily: protein lysine methyltransferases. Genome Biol. 6, 227 (2005). , , &
- Dominant alleles identify SET domain residues required for histone methyltransferase of Polycomb repressive complex 2. J. Biol. Chem. 283, 27757–27766 (2008). et al.
- The polycomb group protein EZH2 is involved in progression of prostate cancer. Nature 419, 624–629 (2002). et al.
- Cutting edge: polycomb gene expression patterns reflect distinct B cell differentiation stages in human germinal centers. J. Immunol. 164, 1–4 (2000). et al.
- Ezh2 controls B cell development through histone H3 methylation and Igh rearrangement. Nat. Immunol. 4, 124–131 (2003). et al.
- Coexpression of BMI-1 and EZH2 polycomb-group proteins is associated with cycling cells and degree of malignancy in B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Blood 97, 3896–3901 (2001). et al.
- Structural origins for the product specificity of SET domain protein methyltransferases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 20659–20664 (2008). , , , &
- Array-based DNA methylation profiling in follicular lymphoma. Leukemia 23, 1858–1866 (2009). et al.
- New insights into the biology and origin of mature aggressive B-cell lymphomas by combined epigenomic, genomic, and transcriptional profiling. Blood 113, 2488–2497 (2009). et al.
- The Polycomb group protein EZH2 directly controls DNA methylation. Nature 439, 871–874 (2006). et al.
- A significant diffuse component predicts for inferior survival in grade 3 follicular lymphoma, but cytologic subtypes do not predict survival. Blood 101, 2363–2367 (2003). et al.
- Multiple sequence alignment using ClustalW and ClustalX. Curr. Protoc. Bioinformatics 00, 2.3.1–2.3.22 (2002). , &
- Hypermutation of multiple proto-oncogenes in B-cell diffuse large-cell lymphomas. Nature 412, 341–346 (2001). et al.
- A BAC clone fingerprinting approach to the detection of human genome rearrangements. Genome Biol. 8, R224 (2007). et al.
- Mapping short DNA sequencing reads and calling variants using mapping quality scores. Genome Res. 18, 1851–1858 (2008). , &
- Mutational evolution in a lobular breast tumour profiled at single nucleotide resolution. Nature 461, 809–813 (2009). et al.
- The diploid genome sequence of an individual human. PLoS Biol. 5, e254 (2007). et al.
- The diploid genome sequence of an Asian individual. Nature 456, 60–65 (2008). et al.
- Accurate whole human genome sequencing using reversible terminator chemistry. Nature 456, 53–59 (2008). et al.
- The SWISS-MODEL Repository of annotated three-dimensional protein structure homology models. Nucleic Acids Res. 32 Database issue , D230–D234 (2004). &
- Functional conservation of asxl2, a murine homolog for the Drosophila enhancer of trithorax and polycomb group gene asx. PLoS One 4, e4750 (2009). et al.
- Phorbol ester-induced, cell-cycle-specific, growth inhibition of human B-lymphoma cell lines. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 82, 501–509 (1990). , , , &
- A new human B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma cell line (Karpas 422) exhibiting both t (14;18) and t(4;11) chromosomal translocations. Blood 75, 709–714 (1990). , , , &
- Biology of the human malignant lymphomas. IV. Functional characterization of ten diffuse histiocytic lymphoma cell lines. Cancer 42, 2379–2391 (1978). et al.
- Bryostatin 1 down-regulates mdr1 and potentiates vincristine cytotoxicity in diffuse large cell lymphoma xenografts. Clin. Cancer Res. 4, 1305–1314 (1998). et al.
- The presence of clonogenic cells in high-grade malignant lymphoma: a prognostic factor. Blood 69, 1307–1314 (1987). et al.
- A gene expression-based method to diagnose clinically distinct subgroups of diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 9991–9996 (2003). et al.
- Genome-wide profiling of follicular lymphoma by array comparative genomic hybridization reveals prognostically significant DNA copy number imbalances. Blood 113, 137–148 (2009). et al.
- Use of Affymetrix mapping arrays in the diagnosis of gene copy number variation. Curr. Protoc. Hum. Genet. 59, 8.13.1–8.13.16 (2008). , , &
- Integrating copy number polymorphisms into array CGH analysis using a robust HMM. Bioinformatics 22, e431–e439 (2006). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (3M)
Supplementary Figures 1–7 and Supplementary Tables 1–7