Active sensation requires the convergence of external stimuli with representations of body movements. We used mouse behavior, electrophysiology and optogenetics to dissect the temporal interactions among whisker movement, neural activity and sensation of touch. We photostimulated layer 4 activity in single barrels in a closed loop with whisking. Mimicking touch-related neural activity caused illusory perception of an object at a particular location, but scrambling the timing of the spikes over one whisking cycle (tens of milliseconds) did not abolish the illusion, indicating that knowledge of instantaneous whisker position is unnecessary for discriminating object locations. The illusions were induced only during bouts of directed whisking, when mice expected touch, and in the relevant barrel. Reducing activity biased behavior, consistent with a spike count code for object detection at a particular location. Our results show that mice integrate coding of touch with movement over timescales of a whisking bout to produce perception of active touch.
At a glance
- Motor prediction. Curr. Biol. 11, R729–R732 (2001). &
- Haptic object localization in the vibrissal system: behavior and performance. J. Neurosci. 26, 8451–8464 (2006). , &
- Unsupervised whisker tracking in unrestrained behaving animals. J. Neurophysiol. 100, 504–515 (2008). , &
- Automated tracking of whiskers in videos of head fixed rodents. PLOS Comput. Biol. 8, e1002591 (2012). et al.
- The mechanical variables underlying object localization along the axis of the whisker. J. Neurosci. 33, 6726–6741 (2013). et al.
- Vibrissa-based object localization in head-fixed mice. J. Neurosci. 30, 1947–1967 (2010). et al.
- Pre-neuronal morphological processing of object location by individual whiskers. Nat. Neurosci. 16, 622–631 (2013). et al.
- Neuronal basis for object location in the vibrissa scanning sensorimotor system. Neuron 72, 455–468 (2011). &
- Active spatial perception in the vibrissa scanning sensorimotor system. PLoS Biol. 5, e15 (2007). , , , &
- Orthogonal coding of object location. Trends Neurosci. 32, 101–109 (2009). &
- The sensory contribution of a single vibrissa's cortical barrel. J. Neurophysiol. 56, 1196–1223 (1986). &
- Neural activity in barrel cortex underlying vibrissa-based object localization in mice. Neuron 67, 1048–1061 (2010). , , &
- Layer- and cell-type–specific suprathreshold stimulus representation in rat primary somatosensory cortex. J. Physiol. (Lond.) 581, 139–154 (2007). , , &
- 'Where' and 'what' in the whisker sensorimotor system. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 9, 601–612 (2008). , , , &
- Primary motor cortex reports efferent control of vibrissa motion on multiple timescales. Neuron 72, 344–356 (2011). , , &
- Activity in motor-sensory projections reveals distributed coding in somatosensation. Nature 489, 299–303 (2012). et al.
- Multiple dynamic representations in the motor cortex during sensorimotor learning. Nature 484, 473–478 (2012). et al.
- Thalamic control of cortical states. Nat. Neurosci. 15, 370–372 (2012). , , &
- Parallel thalamic pathways for whisking and touch signals in the rat. PLoS Biol. 4, e124 (2006). , , &
- Central versus peripheral determinants of patterned spike activity in rat vibrissa cortex during whisking. J. Neurophysiol. 78, 1144–1149 (1997). , &
- Correlating whisker behavior with membrane potential in barrel cortex of awake mice. Nat. Neurosci. 9, 608–610 (2006). &
- The excitatory neuronal network of the C2 barrel column in mouse primary somatosensory cortex. Neuron 61, 301–316 (2009). , , &
- Temporal and spatial integration in the rat SI vibrissa cortex. J. Neurophysiol. 54, 615–635 (1985).
- Flow of excitation within rat barrel cortex on striking a single vibrissa. J. Neurophysiol. 68, 1345–1358 (1992). , &
- The subcellular organization of neocortical excitatory connections. Nature 457, 1142–1145 (2009). , , &
- Thalamic afferents of the rat barrel cortex: a light- and electron-microscopic study using Phaseolus vulgaris leucoagglutinin as an anterograde tracer. Somatosens. Mot. Res. 10, 1–16 (1993). &
- Phase-to-rate transformations encode touch in cortical neurons of a scanning sensorimotor system. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 492–501 (2009). &
- Millisecond-timescale, genetically targeted optical control of neural activity. Nat. Neurosci. 8, 1263–1268 (2005). , , , &
- Fast noninvasive activation and inhibition of neural and network activity by vertebrate rhodopsin and green algae channelrhodopsin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102, 17816–17821 (2005). et al.
- Nonlinear dendritic integration of sensory and motor input during an active sensing task. Nature 492, 247–251 (2012). et al.
- Sensing without touching: psychophysical performance based on cortical microstimulation. Neuron 26, 273–278 (2000). , , , &
- Insights into cortical mechanisms of behavior from microstimulation experiments. Prog. Neurobiol. 103, 115–130 (2013). , &
- A robust and high-throughput Cre reporting and characterization system for the whole mouse brain. Nat. Neurosci. 13, 133–140 (2010). et al.
- Cre recombinase-mediated gene deletion in layer 4 of murine sensory cortical areas. Genesis 46, 289–293 (2008). &
- Channelrhodopsin-2, a directly light-gated cation-selective membrane channel. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 13940–13945 (2003). et al.
- FLEX switch targets channelrhodopsin-2 to multiple cell types for imaging and long-range circuit mapping. J. Neurosci. 28, 7025–7030 (2008). , , &
- Characterization of functional organization within rat barrel cortex using intrinsic signal optical imaging through a thinned skull. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 9998–10002 (1993). , , &
- Sparse optical microstimulation in barrel cortex drives learned behaviour in freely moving mice. Nature 451, 61–64 (2008). et al.
- Cell type–specific channelrhodopsin-2 transgenic mice for optogenetic dissection of neural circuitry function. Nat. Methods 8, 745–752 (2011). et al.
- Cortical microstimulation influences perceptual judgements of motion direction. Nature 346, 174–177 (1990). , &
- Reverse engineering the mouse brain. Nature 461, 923–929 (2009). , &
- Genetic dissection of neural circuits. Neuron 57, 634–660 (2008). , &
- Eye Movements and Vision (Plenum Press, 1967).
- Corticothalamic projections from layer 5 of the vibrissal barrel cortex in the rat. J. Comp. Neurol. 424, 197–204 (2000). , &
- Active vibrissal sensing in rodents and marsupials. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 366, 3037–3048 (2011). et al.
- Sparse temporal coding of elementary tactile features during active whisker sensation. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 792–800 (2009). , &
- The role of spike timing in the coding of stimulus location in rat somatosensory cortex. Neuron 29, 769–777 (2001). , , , &
- Circuit dynamics and coding strategies in rodent somatosensory cortex. J. Neurophysiol. 83, 1158–1166 (2000). , &
- Top-down dendritic input increases the gain of layer 5 pyramidal neurons. Cereb. Cortex 14, 1059–1070 (2004). , &
- A disinhibitory microcircuit for associative fear learning in the auditory cortex. Nature 480, 331–335 (2011). et al.
- A toolbox of Cre-dependent optogenetic transgenic mice for light-induced activation and silencing. Nat. Neurosci. 15, 793–802 (2012). et al.
- A simple 2-transistor touch or lick detector circuit. J. Exp. Anal. Behav. 91, 253–255 (2009).
- Improved monomeric red, orange and yellow fluorescent proteins derived from Discosoma sp. red fluorescent protein. Nat. Biotechnol. 22, 1567–1572 (2004). et al.
- Evolving the lock to fit the key to create a family of G protein–coupled receptors potently activated by an inert ligand. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104, 5163–5168 (2007). , , , &
- Disrupted cortical map and absence of cortical barrels in growth-associated protein (GAP)-43 knockout mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96, 9397–9402 (1999). et al.
- Network dynamics underlying the formation of sparse, informative representations in the hippocampus. J. Neurosci. 28, 14271–14281 (2008). &
- Quality metrics to accompany spike sorting of extracellular signals. J. Neurosci. 31, 8699–8705 (2011). , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (3 MB)
Supplementary Figures 1–10