Neural circuits are shaped by experience during periods of heightened brain plasticity in early postnatal life. Exposure to acoustic features produces age-dependent changes through largely unresolved cellular mechanisms and sites of origin. We isolated the refinement of auditory thalamocortical connectivity by in vivo recordings and day-by-day voltage-sensitive dye imaging in an acute brain slice preparation. Passive tone-rearing modified response strength and topography in mouse primary auditory cortex (A1) during a brief, 3-d window, but did not alter tonotopic maps in the thalamus. Gene-targeted deletion of a forebrain-specific cell-adhesion molecule (Icam5) accelerated plasticity in this critical period. Consistent with its normal role of slowing spinogenesis, loss of Icam5 induced precocious stubby spine maturation on pyramidal cell dendrites in neocortical layer 4 (L4), identifying a primary locus of change for the tonotopic plasticity. The evolving postnatal connectivity between thalamus and cortex in the days following hearing onset may therefore determine a critical period for auditory processing.
At a glance
- Critical period regulation. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 27, 549–579 (2004).
- Adaptive auditory plasticity in developing and adult animals. Prog. Neurobiol. 82, 109–121 (2007). &
- Speech perception as a window for understanding plasticity and commitment in language systems of the brain. Dev. Psychobiol. 46, 233–251 (2005). &
- Tuning up the developing auditory CNS. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 19, 188–199 (2009). &
- Critical period window for spectral tuning defined in the primary auditory cortex (A1) in the rat. J. Neurosci. 27, 180–189 (2007). , , &
- Feature-dependent sensitive periods in the development of complex sound representation. J. Neurosci. 29, 5456–5462 (2009). , , &
- Unraveling the principles of auditory cortical processing: can we learn from the visual system? Nat. Neurosci. 12, 698–701 (2009). &
- Comparison of the effects of unilateral and bilateral eye closure on cortical unit responses in kittens. J. Neurophysiol. 28, 1029–1040 (1965). &
- Critical period plasticity in local cortical circuits. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 6, 877–888 (2005).
- Auditory thalamo-cortical transformation: structure and function. Trends Neurosci. 28, 255–263 (2005). , , &
- Auditory thalamocortical synaptic transmission in vitro. J. Neurophysiol. 87, 361–384 (2002). , &
- Disruption of primary auditory cortex by synchronous auditory inputs during a critical period. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99, 2309–2314 (2002). , &
- Linking topography to tonotopy in mouse auditory cortex. J. Neurosci. 31, 2983–2995 (2011). , , , &
- Origins of medial geniculate body projections to physiologically defined zones of rat primary auditory cortex. Hear. Res. 130, 42–61 (1999). , , &
- Spectral integration in primary auditory cortex: laminar processing of afferent input, in vivo and in vitro. Neuroscience 134, 1033–1045 (2005). , , , &
- Physiological, behavioral and anatomical correlates of the development of hearing in the mouse. Ann. Otol. Rhinol. Laryngol. 72, 237–247 (1963). &
- The subplate, a transient neocortical structure: its role in the development of connections between thalamus and cortex. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 17, 185–218 (1994). &
- The subplate and early cortical circuits. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 33, 23–48 (2010). &
- Functional excitatory microcircuits in neonatal cortex connect thalamus and layer 4. J. Neurosci. 29, 15479–15488 (2009). , &
- Enhancement of hippocampal LTP, reference memory and sensorimotor gating in mutant mice lacking a telencephalon-specific cell adhesion molecule. Eur. J. Neurosci. 13, 179–189 (2001). et al.
- Telencephalin slows spine maturation. J. Neurosci. 26, 1776–1786 (2006). et al.
- Manipulating critical period closure across different sectors of the primary auditory cortex. Nat. Neurosci. 11, 957–965 (2008). et al.
- Connectivity patterns revealed by mapping of active inputs on dendrites of thalamo-recipient neurons in the auditory cortex. J. Neurosci. 29, 6406–6417 (2009). , , &
- Response properties of vibrissa units in rat SI somatosensory neocortex. J. Neurophysiol. 41, 798–820 (1978).
- Characterization of functional organization within rat barrel cortex using intrinsic signal optical imaging through a thinned skull. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 90, 9998–10002 (1993). , , &
- Distributed representation of vibrissa movement in the upper layers of somatosensory cortex revealed with voltage-sensitive dyes. J. Comp. Neurol. 375, 89–108 (1996). &
- Spatiotemporal dynamics of sensory responses in layer 2/3 of rat barrel cortex measured in vivo by voltage-sensitive dye imaging combined with whole-cell voltage recordings and neuron reconstructions. J. Neurosci. 23, 1298–1309 (2003). , &
- Experience-dependent pruning of dendritic spines in visual cortex by tissue plasminogen activator. Neuron 44, 1031–1041 (2004). , &
- Critical period revisited: impact on vision. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 18, 101–107 (2008). &
- Tonotopic reorganization of developing auditory brainstem circuits. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 711–717 (2009). , &
- Early experience impairs perceptual discrimination. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 1191–1197 (2007). , , , &
- Developmental sensory experience balances cortical excitation and inhibition. Nature 465, 932–936 (2010). , , , &
- Fine-tuning of pre-balanced excitation and inhibition during auditory cortical development. Nature 465, 927–931 (2010). et al.
- The functional asymmetry of auditory cortex is reflected in the organization of local cortical circuits. Nat. Neurosci. 13, 1413–1420 (2010). , , &
- Afferent regulation of neuron number in the cochlear nucleus: cellular and molecular analyses of a critical period. Hear. Res. 216–217, 127–137 (2006). &
- Afferent influences on brainstem auditory nuclei of the chicken: n. laminaris dendritic length following monaural conductive hearing loss. J. Comp. Neurol. 220, 199–205 (1983). , &
- Development of sound localization mechanisms in the mongolian gerbil is shaped by early acoustic experience. J. Neurophysiol. 94, 1028–1036 (2005). &
- Altered activity patterns during development reduce neural tuning. Science 221, 1183–1185 (1983). &
- Site of auditory plasticity in the brain stem (VLVp) of the owl revealed by early monaural occlusion. J. Neurophysiol. 72, 2875–2891 (1994). &
- Corticofugal modulation of the midbrain frequency map in the bat auditory system. Nat. Neurosci. 1, 54–58 (1998). &
- The descending corticocollicular pathway mediates learning-induced auditory plasticity. Nat. Neurosci. 13, 253–260 (2010). , , &
- Monaural deprivation disrupts development of binaural selectivity in auditory midbrain and cortex. Neuron 65, 718–731 (2010). &
- Experience is required for the maintenance and refinement of FM sweep selectivity in the developing auditory cortex. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 4465–4470 (2008). , &
- The auditory cortex of the house mouse: left-right differences, tonotopic organization and quantitative analysis of frequency representation. J. Comp. Physiol. [A] 181, 559–571 (1997). , , &
- VSDI: a new era in functional imaging of cortical dynamics. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 5, 874–885 (2004). &
- Visualizing the cortical representation of whisker touch: voltage-sensitive dye imaging in freely moving mice. Neuron 50, 617–629 (2006). , &
- Influences of un-modulated acoustic inputs on functional maturation and critical-period plasticity of the primary auditory cortex. Neuroscience 154, 390–396 (2008). , , &
- Selective increase in representations of sounds repeated at an ethological rate. J. Neurosci. 29, 5163–5169 (2009). &
- Auditory perception vs. recognition: representation of complex communication sounds in the mouse auditory cortical fields. Eur. J. Neurosci. 19, 1027–1040 (2004). &
- Multicolor 'DiOlistic' labeling of the nervous system using lipophilic dye combinations. Neuron 27, 219–225 (2000). , , , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (459K)
Supplementary Figures 1–7