Small variations in nucleic acid sequences can have far-reaching phenotypic consequences. Reliably distinguishing closely related sequences is therefore important for research and clinical applications. Here, we demonstrate that conditionally fluorescent DNA probes are capable of distinguishing variations of a single base in a stretch of target DNA. These probes use a novel programmable mechanism in which each single nucleotide polymorphism generates two thermodynamically destabilizing mismatch bubbles rather than the single mismatch formed during typical hybridization-based assays. Up to a 12,000-fold excess of a target that contains a single nucleotide polymorphism is required to generate the same fluorescence as one equivalent of the intended target, and detection works reliably over a wide range of conditions. Using these probes we detected point mutations in a 198 base-pair subsequence of the Escherichia coli rpoB gene. That our probes are constructed from multiple oligonucleotides circumvents synthesis limitations and enables long continuous DNA sequences to be probed.
At a glance
- A genome-wide scalable SNP genotyping assay using microarray technology. Nature Biotechnol. 37, 549–554 (2005). , , , &
- SNP genotyping: technologies and biomedical applications. Annu. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 9, 289–320 (2007). &
- Single-nucleotide polymorphism-based differentiation and drug resistance detection in Mycobacterium tuberculosis from isolates or directly from sputum. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 11, 122–130 (2005). et al.
- Improved rapid molecular diagnosis of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis using a new reverse hybridization assay, REBA MTB-MDR. J. Med. Microbiol. 60, 1447–1454 (2011). et al.
- Quantitative monitoring of gene expression patterns with a complementary DNA microarray. Science 270, 467–470 (1995). , , &
- Primer-directed enzymatic amplification of DNA with a thermostable DNA polymerase. Science 239, 487–491 (1988). et al.
- Accurate multiplex polony sequencing of an evolved bacterial genome. Science 309, 1728–1732 (2005). et al.
- A ligase-mediated gene detection technique. Science 241, 1077–1080 (1988). , , &
- Combinatorial fluorescence energy transfer tags for multiplex biological assays. Nature Biotechnol. 19, 756–759 (2001). , , , &
- Construction of a genetic linkage map in man using restriction fragment length polymorphisms. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 32, 314 (1980). , , &
- Sensitive detection of DNA polymorphisms by the serial invasive signal amplification reaction. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97, 8272–8277 (2000). et al.
- Nonenzymatic autoligation in direct three-color detection of RNA and DNA point mutations. Nature Biotechnol. 19, 148–152 (2001). , , &
- Nucleic acid templated reactions: consequences of probe reactivity and readout strategy for amplified signaling and sequence selectivity. Chem. Eur. J. 15, 6723–6730 (2009). &
- LNA (locked nucleic acids): synthesis and high-affinity nucleic acid recognition. Chem. Commun. 4, 455–456 (1998). , , &
- Peptide nucleic acids (PNA). Oligonucleotide analogs with an achiral peptide backbone. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 114, 1895–1897 (1992). , , &
- Single nucleotide polymorphism genotyping using short, fluorescently labeled locked nucleic acid (LNA) probes and fluorescence polarization detection. Nucleic Acids Res. 30, e91 (2002). &
- PNA for one-base differentiating protection of DNA from nuclease and its use for SNPs detection. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 125, 3758–3762 (2003). et al.
- Molecular beacons: probes that upon hybridization. Nature Biotechnol. 14, 303–308 (1996). &
- Optimizing the specificity of nucleic acid hybridization. Nature Chem. 4, 208–214 (2012). , &
- Enhanced discrimination of single nucleotide polymorphisms by artificial mismatch hybridization. Nature Biotechnol. 15, 331–335 (1997). , &
- Control of DNA strand displacement kinetics using toehold exchange. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 17303–17314 (2009). &
- Fluorescence detection of single-nucleotide polymorphisms with a single, self-complementary, triple-stem DNA probe. Angew. Chem Int. Ed. 48, 4354–4358 (2009). et al.
- Imaging intracellular RNA distribution and dynamics in living cells. Nature Methods 6, 331–338 (2009).
- Real-time PCR using molecular beacons. Methods Mol. Med. 54, 295–310 (2001). , &
- Rifampicin region revisited. J. Biol. Chem. 268, 14820–14825 (1993). , , &
- Detection of rifampicin-resistance mutations in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Lancet 341, 648–650 (1993). et al.
- Kinetics of branch migration in double-stranded DNA. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 73, 2299–2303 (1976). , &
- The kinetics of spontaneous DNA branch migration. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 91, 2021–2025 (1994). &
- Formation of a single base mismatch impedes spontaneous DNA branch migration. J. Mol. Biol. 230, 413–424 (1993). &
- Dynamic DNA nanotechnology using strand displacement reactions. Nature Chem. 3, 103–114 (2011). &
- Enzyme-free nucleic acid logic circuits. Science 314, 1585–1588 (2006). , , &
- Engineering entropy-driven reactions and networks catalyzed by DNA. Science 318, 1121–1125 (2007). , , &
- DNA as a universal substrate for chemical kinetics. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 107, 5393–5398 (2010). , &
- Robustness and modularity properties of a non-covalent DNA catalytic reaction. Nucleic Acids Res. 38, 4182–4197 (2010). &
- Scaling up digital circuit computation with DNA strand displacement cascades. Science 332, 1196–1201 (2011). &
- Synthetic biology: integrated gene circuits. Science 333, 1244–1248 (2011). &
- The second wave of synthetic biology: from modules to systems. Nature Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 10, 410–422 (2009). &
- Development of aptamer therapeutics. Curr. Opin. Pharmacol. 10, 557–562 (2010). , &
- The thermodynamics of DNA structural motifs. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 33, 415–440 (2004). &
- Efficiencies of resonance energy transfer and contact-mediated quenching in oligonucleotide probes. Nucleic Acids Res. 30, e122 (2002). , &
- Branch migration through DNA sequence heterology. J. Mol. Biol. 279, 795–806 (1998). , &
- Screening for single-nucleotide polymorphisms using branch migration inhibition in PCR-amplified DNA. Clin. Chem. 46, 1464–1470 (2000).
- Allele-specific Holliday junction formation: a new mechanism of allelic discrimination for SNP scoring. Genome Res. 13, 1754–1764 (2003). et al.
- Genotypic determination of Mycobacterium tuberculosis antibiotic resistance using a novel mutation detection method, the branch migration inhibition M. tuberculosis antibiotic resistance test. J. Clin. Microbiol. 38, 3656–3662 (2000). , , &
- Towards a point-of-care test for active tuberculosis: obstacles and opportunities. Nature Rev. Microbiol. 9, 204–213 (2011). &
- Point-of-care nucleic acid testing for infectious diseases. Trends Biotechnol. 29, 240–250 (2011). , &
- Molecular beacon sequence analysis for detecting drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Nature Biotechnol. 16, 359–363 (1998). et al.
- Rapid molecular detection of tuberculosis and rifampin resistance. N. Engl. J. Med. 363, 1005–1015 (2010). et al.
- Haplotype phasing: existing methods and new developments. Nature Rev. Genetics 12, 703–714 (2011). &
- Catalyzed relaxation of a metastable DNA fuel. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 128, 12211–12220 (2006). , &
- Secondary structure effects on DNA hybridization kinetics: a solution versus surface comparison. Nucleic Acids Res. 34, 3370–3377 (2006). , &
- Genomics 85, 297308 (2005). , , , &
- Supplementary information (1,373 KB)