Taxanes form a large family of terpenes comprising over 350 members, the most famous of which is Taxol (paclitaxel), a billion-dollar anticancer drug. Here, we describe the first practical and scalable synthetic entry to these natural products via a concise preparation of (+)-taxa-4(5),11(12)-dien-2-one, which has a suitable functional handle with which to access more oxidized members of its family. This route enables a gram-scale preparation of the ‘parent’ taxane—taxadiene—which is the largest quantity of this naturally occurring terpene ever isolated or prepared in pure form. The characteristic 6-8-6 tricyclic system of the taxane family, containing a bridgehead alkene, is forged via a vicinal difunctionalization/Diels–Alder strategy. Asymmetry is introduced by means of an enantioselective conjugate addition that forms an all-carbon quaternary centre, from which all other stereocentres are fixed through substrate control. This study lays a critical foundation for a planned access to minimally oxidized taxane analogues and a scalable laboratory preparation of Taxol itself.
- 1902). The Chemistry of the Terpenes. (P. Blakiston's Son & Co.,
- 2006). Terpenes: Flavors, Fragrances, Pharmaca, Pheromones (Wiley-VCH,
- Modern synthetic efforts toward biologically active terpenes. Nature Chem. Biol. 3, 396–407 (2007). &
- Promotion of microtubule assembly in vitro by taxol. Nature 277, 665–667 (1979). , &
- 1995). TAXOL®: Science and Applications (CRC Press,
- 2003). & Taxus: The Genus Taxus (Taylor & Francis,
- Plant antitumor agents. VI. Isolation and structure of taxol, a novel antileukemic and antitumor agent from Taxus brevifolia. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 93, 2325–2327 (1971). , , , &
- Highly efficient, practical approach to natural taxol. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 110, 5917–5919 (1988). et al.
- Method for preparation of taxol. European patent EP0400971 (A2) (1990).
- New and efficient approaches to the semisynthesis of taxol and its C-13 side chain analogs by means of β-lactam synthon method. Tetrahedron 48, 6985–7012 (1992). et al.
- Total synthesis of taxol. Nature 367, 630–634 (1994). et al.
- First total synthesis of taxol. 1. Functionalization of the B ring. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 116, 1597–1598 (1994). et al.
- First total synthesis of taxol. 2. Completion of the C and D rings. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 116, 1599–1600 (1994). et al.
- A total synthesis of taxol. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 34, 1723–1726 (1995). , , , &
- The pinene path to taxanes. 5. Stereocontrolled synthesis of a versatile taxane precursor. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 119, 2755–2756 (1997). et al.
- The pinene path to taxanes. 6. A concise stereocontrolled synthesis of taxol. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 119, 2757–2758 (1997). et al.
- Total asymmetric synthesis of taxol by dehydration condensation between 7-TES baccatin III and protected N-benzoylphenylisoserines prepared by enantioselective aldol reaction. Chem. Lett. 27, 3–4 (1998). , , &
- Enantioselective total synthesis of taxol. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 120, 12980–12981 (1998). et al.
- 2000). A Total Synthesis of Taxol. PhD thesis, Harvard University (
- A formal total synthesis of taxol aided by an automated synthesizer. Chem. Asian J. 1, 370–383 (2006). et al.
- 2007). & The Way of Synthesis: Evolution of Design and Methods for Natural Products 1st edn, 165 (Wiley-VCH,
- Isoprenoid pathway optimization for Taxol precursor overproduction in Escherichia coli. Science 330, 70–74 (2010). et al.
- Total synthesis of eudesmane terpenes by site-selective C–H oxidations. Nature 459, 824–828 (2009). &
- Cyclization enzymes in the biosynthesis of monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes and diterpenes. Top. Curr. Chem. 209, 53–95 (2000). &
- Taxanes from the seeds of Taxus baccata. J. Nat. Prod. 56, 514–520 (1993). et al.
- Nuclear Overhauser effect, a unique method of defining the relative stereochemistry and conformation of taxane derivatives. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 90, 522–523 (1968). , , &
- Diterpenoids. Nat. Prod. Rep. 10, 159–174 (1993).
- A brief survey of Taxus alkaloids and other taxane derivatives. J. Nat. Prod. 43, 425–437 (1980).
- Taxol and derivatives: a biogenetic hypothesis. J. Nat. Prod. 50, 9–18 (1987). , &
- The taxane diterpenoids. J. Nat. Prod. 62, 1448–1472 (1999). &
- Biological activity and chemistry of taxoids from the Japanese yew, Taxus cuspidata. J. Nat. Prod. 67, 245–256 (2004). &
- New natural taxane diterpenoids from Taxus species since 1999. Chem. Biodiversity 2, 1597–1623 (2005). &
- Two-phase terpene total synthesis: historical perspective and application to the Taxol® problem. Synlett 1733–1745 (2010). &
- Cyclization of geranylgeranyl diphosphate to taxa-4(5),11(12)-diene is the committed step of taxol biosynthesis in pacific yew. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 8686–8690 (1995). et al.
- Synthesis of a C-1 epi taxinine intermediate using the type 2 intramolecular Diels–Alder approach. Tetrahedron Lett. 35, 1317–1320 (1994). &
- Synthesis of the taxane ring system using an intramolecular Diels–Alder reaction of a 2-substituted diene. J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. I 1303–1309 (1986). &
- Studies on the biosynthesis of taxol: total synthesis of taxa-4(20),11(12)-diene and taxa-4(5),11(12)-diene. The first committed biosynthetic intermediate. J. Org. Chem. 60, 7215–7223 (1995). &
- Synthesis of antitumour agents. Pure Appl. Chem. 65, 1349–1356 (1993).
- A highly efficient synthesis of taxanes via the tandem Diels–Alder reaction. Tetrahedron Lett. 36, 687–690 (1995). , &
- Part 1: Efficient strategies for the construction of variably substituted bicyclo[5.3.1]undecenones (AB taxane ring systems). Can. J. Chem. 82, 215–226 (2004). et al.
- Taxane diterpenes 5: synthesis of the A- and C-rings: an unusual rearrangement of an N-hydroxyimino lactone. Tetrahedron 55, 6435–6452 (1999). et al.
- Aiming for the ideal synthesis. J. Org. Chem. 75, 4657–4673 (2010). &
- Copper-catalyzed asymmetric conjugate addition of trialkylaluminium reagents to trisubstituted enones: construction of chiral quaternary centers. Chem. Eur. J. 13, 9647–9662 (2007). &
- Enantioselective synthesis of all-carbon quaternary stereogenic centres by catalytic asymmetric conjugate additions of alkyl and aryl aluminum reagents to five-, six-, and seven-membered-ring β-substituted cyclic enones. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 47, 7358–7362 (2008). , &
- Unexpected regiospecific reactivity of a substituted phthalic anhydride. Tetrahedron 63, 1395–1401 (2007). et al.
- New aldol type reaction. Chem. Lett. 2, 1011–1014 (1973). , &
- Repeated use of the catalyst in Ln(OTf)3-catalyzed aldol and allylation reactions. Bull. Chem. Soc. Jpn 67, 2342–2344 (1994). , &
- Reduction of alkyl esters to alkanes by sodium in hexamethylphosphoric triamide. A new method for the deoxygenation of alcohols. J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. 567–568 (1978). &
- Asymmetric deprotonation of prochiral ketones using chiral lithium amide bases. Tetrahedron 46, 523–544 (1990). , , &
- On the practical limits of determining isolated product yields and ratios of stereoisomers: reflections, analysis, and redemption. Synlett 2701–2707 (2010). &
- Supplementary information (1,249 KB)
- Supplementary information (1,372 KB)
Supplementary information, NMR spectra