PTEN (Phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted on chromosome 10) expression in stromal fibroblasts suppresses epithelial mammary tumours, but the underlying molecular mechanisms remain unknown. Using proteomic and expression profiling, we show that Pten loss from mammary stromal fibroblasts activates an oncogenic secretome that orchestrates the transcriptional reprogramming of other cell types in the microenvironment. Downregulation of miR-320 and upregulation of one of its direct targets, ETS2 (v-ets erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 2) are critical events in Pten-deleted stromal fibroblasts responsible for inducing this oncogenic secretome, which in turn promotes tumour angiogenesis and tumour-cell invasion. Expression of the Pten–miR-320–Ets2-regulated secretome distinguished human normal breast stroma from tumour stroma and robustly correlated with recurrence in breast cancer patients. This work reveals miR-320 as a critical component of the Pten tumour-suppressor axis that acts in stromal fibroblasts to reprogramme the tumour microenvironment and curtail tumour progression.
At a glance
- Friends or foes—bipolar effects of the tumour stroma in cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer 4, 839–849 (2004). &
- Stromal fibroblasts in cancer initiation and progression. Nature 432, 332–337 (2004). , &
- Fibroblasts in cancer. Nat. Rev. Cancer 6, 392–401 (2006). &
- Cellular signaling by fibroblast growth factor receptors. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 16, 139–149 (2005). , &
- Caveolin-1−/− null mammary stromal fibroblasts share characteristics with human breast cancer-associated fibroblasts. Am. J. Pathol. 174, 746–761 (2009). et al.
- Pten in stromal fibroblasts suppresses mammary epithelial tumours. Nature 461, 1084–1091 (2009). et al.
- Roles of small RNAs in tumor formation. Trends Mol. Med. 16, 257–267. &
- MicroRNAs and cancer: short RNAs go a long way. Cell 136, 586–591 (2009). &
- Direct evidence for epithelial–mesenchymal transitions in breast cancer. Cancer Res. 68, 937–945 (2008). et al.
- The promise of microRNA replacement therapy. Cancer Res. 70, 7027–7030 (2010). , &
- microRNAs exhibit high frequency genomic alterations in human cancer. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103, 9136–9141 (2006). et al.
- Identification of novel microRNA targets based on microRNA signatures in bladder cancer. Int. J. Cancer 125, 345–352 (2009). et al.
- Diagnostic and prognostic microRNAs in stage II colon cancer. Cancer Res. 68, 6416–6424 (2008). et al.
- Optimized high-throughput microRNA expression profiling provides novel biomarker assessment of clinical prostate and breast cancer biopsies. Mol. Cancer 5, 24 (2006). et al.
- MicroRNA miR-21 overexpression in human breast cancer is associated with advanced clinical stage, lymph node metastasis and patient poor prognosis. RNA 14, 2348–2360 (2008). et al.
- Syngeneic mouse mammary carcinoma cell lines: two closely related cell lines with divergent metastatic behavior. Clin. Exp. Metastasis 22, 47–59 (2005). et al.
- In situ detection of precursor and mature microRNAs in paraffin embedded, formalin fixed tissues and cell preparations. Methods 44, 39–46 (2008).
- Robust one-day in situ hybridization protocol for detection of microRNAs in paraffin samples using LNA probes. Methods 52, 375–381 (2010). , , &
- In situ detection of mature microRNAs by labeled extension on ultramer templates. Biotechniques 46, 115–126 (2009). , , , &
- Post-transcriptional regulation of microRNA expression. RNA 12, 1161–1167 (2006). , , &
- MicroRNAs with a nucleolar location. RNA 15, 1705–1715 (2009). , &
- MicroRNA-directed transcriptional gene silencing in mammalian cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105, 16230–16235 (2008). , , &
- Molecular requirements for epithelial–mesenchymal transition during tumor progression. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 17, 548–558 (2005). , &
- The hallmarks of cancer. Cell 100, 57–70 (2000). &
- Endothelial–stromal interactions in angiogenesis. Curr. Opin. Hematol. 15, 204–209 (2008).
- Matrix metalloproteinases stimulate epithelial–mesenchymal transition during tumor development. Clin. Exp. Metastasis 25, 593–600 (2008). &
- The extracellular matrix glycoprotein elastin microfibril interface located protein 2: a dual role in the tumor microenvironment. Neoplasia 12, 294–304 (2010). et al.
- Structure and chromosomal assignment of the human lectin-like oxidized low-density-lipoprotein receptor-1 (LOX-1) gene. Biochem. J. 339, 177–184 (1999). et al.
- Transcription of human cathepsin B is mediated by Sp1 and Ets family factors in glioma. DNA Cell Biol. 19, 79–91 (2000). , , &
- IGF1 is a common target gene of Ewing’s sarcoma fusion proteins in mesenchymal progenitor cells. PLoS One 3, e2634 (2008). et al.
- Interaction of filamin A with the insulin receptor alters insulin-dependent activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 27096–27104 (2003). , , , &
- Expression of mutant Ets protein at the neuromuscular synapse causes alterations in morphology and gene expression. EMBO Rep. 3, 1075–1081 (2002). et al.
- Olfactomedin domain-containing proteins: possible mechanisms of action and functions in normal development and pathology. Mol. Neurobiol. 40, 122–138 (2009). &
- PTEN loss in the continuum of common cancers, rare syndromes and mouse models. Nat. Rev. Cancer 11, 289–301 (2011). , &
- Epidermal growth factor receptor and PTEN modulate tissue factor expression in glioblastoma through JunD/activator protein-1 transcriptional activity. Cancer Res. 69, 2540–2549 (2009). et al.
- Identification of the JNK signaling pathway as a functional target of the tumor suppressor PTEN. Cancer Cell 11, 555–569 (2007). et al.
- Stromal gene expression predicts clinical outcome in breast cancer. Nat. Med. 14, 518–527 (2008). et al.
- Gene expression signatures of morphologically normal breast tissue identify basal-like tumors. Breast Cancer Res. 8, R58 (2006). et al.
- Gene expression profiling spares early breast cancer patients from adjuvant therapy: derived and validated in two population-based cohorts. Breast Cancer Res. 7, R953–R964 (2005). et al.
- Quantitative studies of the growth of mouse embryo cells in culture and their development into established lines. J. Cell Biol. 17, 299–313 (1963). &
- Detection of microRNA expression in human peripheral blood microvesicles. PLoS One 3, e3694 (2008). et al.
- Targeting of the Bmi-1 oncogene/stem cell renewal factor by microRNA-128 inhibits glioma proliferation and self-renewal. Cancer Res. 68, 9125–9130 (2008). et al.
- MicroRNA-451 regulates LKB1/AMPK signaling and allows adaptation to metabolic stress in glioma cells. Mol. Cell 37, 620–632 (2010). et al.
- Lithium inhibits invasion of glioma cells; possible involvement of glycogen synthase kinase-3. Neuro. Oncol. 10, 690–699 (2008). et al.
- Functional implication of BMP4 expression on angiogenesis in malignant melanoma. Oncogene 26, 4158–4170 (2007). , , , &
- Erk1 and Erk2 regulate endothelial cell proliferation and migration during mouse embryonic angiogenesis. PLoS One 4, e8283 (2009). et al.
- E2f1–3 switch from activators in progenitor cells to repressors in differentiating cells. Nature 462, 930–934 (2009). et al.
- Microphthalmia-associated transcription factor interactions with 14-3-3 modulate differentiation of committed myeloid precursors. Mol. Biol. Cell 17, 3897–3906 (2006). et al.
- A simple sequentially rejective multiple test procedure. Scand. J. Stat. 6, 65–70 (1979).
- Supplementary Information (1200K)