Microbial factories have been engineered to produce lipids from carbohydrate feedstocks for production of biofuels and oleochemicals. However, even the best yields obtained to date are insufficient for commercial lipid production. To maximize the capture of electrons generated from substrate catabolism and thus increase substrate-to-product yields, we engineered 13 strains of Yarrowia lipolytica with synthetic pathways converting glycolytic NADH into the lipid biosynthetic precursors NADPH or acetyl-CoA. A quantitative model was established and identified the yield of the lipid pathway as a crucial determinant of overall process yield. The best engineered strain achieved a productivity of 1.2 g/L/h and a process yield of 0.27 g–fatty acid methyl esters/g-glucose, which constitutes a 25% improvement over previously engineered yeast strains. Oxygen requirements of our highest producer were reduced owing to decreased NADH oxidization by aerobic respiration. We show that redox engineering could enable commercialization of microbial carbohydrate-based lipid production.
At a glance
- Environmental, economic, and energetic costs and benefits of biodiesel and ethanol biofuels. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103, 11206–11210 (2006). , , , &
- Oleaginous yeasts for biodiesel: current and future trends in biology and production. Biotechnol. Adv. 32, 1336–1360 (2014). et al.
- Microbial lipid-based lignocellulosic biorefinery: feasibility and challenges. Trends Biotechnol. 33, 43–54 (2015). et al.
- Yarrowia lipolytica as a model for bio-oil production. Prog. Lipid Res. 48, 375–387 (2009). et al.
- Metabolic engineering of yeast to produce fatty acid-derived biofuels: bottlenecks and solutions. Front. Microbiol. 6, 554 (2015). &
- Yarrowia lipolytica as an oleaginous cell factory platform for the production of fatty acid-based biofuel and bioproducts. Front. Energy Res. 2, 21 (2014). &
- Unraveling fatty acid transport and activation mechanisms in Yarrowia lipolytica. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1851, 1202–1217 (2015). , , , &
- Involvement of the G3P shuttle and β-oxidation pathway in the control of TAG synthesis and lipid accumulation in Yarrowia lipolytica. Metab. Eng. 13, 482–491 (2011). &
- Engineering the push and pull of lipid biosynthesis in oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica for biofuel production. Metab. Eng. 15, 1–9 (2013). &
- Characterization of the two intracellular lipases of Y. lipolytica encoded by TGL3 and TGL4 genes: new insights into the role of intracellular lipases and lipid body organisation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1831, 1486–1495 (2013). et al.
- Harnessing Yarrowia lipolytica lipogenesis to create a platform for lipid and biofuel production. Nat. Commun. 5, 3131 (2014). et al.
- Control of lipid accumulation in the yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74, 7779–7789 (2008). et al.
- Production of omega-3 eicosapentaenoic acid by metabolic engineering of Yarrowia lipolytica. Nat. Biotechnol. 31, 734–740 (2013). et al.
- Engineering lipid overproduction in the oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Metab. Eng. 29, 56–65 (2015). et al.
- The oxidative pentose phosphate pathway is the primary source of NADPH for lipid overproduction from glucose in Yarrowia lipolytica. Metab. Eng. 30, 27–39 (2015). , &
- Engineered reversal of the β-oxidation cycle for the synthesis of fuels and chemicals. Nature 476, 355–359 (2011). , , &
- Modular optimization of multi-gene pathways for fatty acids production in E. coli. Nat. Commun. 4, 1409 (2013). et al.
- High-density cultivation of oleaginous yeast Rhodosporidium toruloides Y4 in fed-batch culture. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 41, 312–317 (2007). , &
- The soluble and membrane-bound transhydrogenases UdhA and PntAB have divergent functions in NADPH metabolism of Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 6613–6619 (2004). , , , &
- Expression, purification, and characterization of recombinant nonphosphorylating NADP-dependent glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase from Clostridium acetobutylicum. Protein Expr. Purif. 25, 519–526 (2002). , , &
- Replacing Escherichia coli NAD-dependent glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH) with a NADP-dependent enzyme from Clostridium acetobutylicum facilitates NADPH dependent pathways. Metab. Eng. 10, 352–359 (2008). , , , &
- Identification of the first fungal NADP-GAPDH from Kluyveromyces lactis. Biochemistry 41, 13833–13838 (2002). et al.
- Regulatory properties of malic enzyme in the oleaginous yeast, Yarrowia lipolytica, and its non-involvement in lipid accumulation. Biotechnol. Lett. 35, 2091–2098 (2013). et al.
- Characterization of malic enzyme and the regulation of its activity and metabolic engineering on lipid production. RSC Adv. 5, 45558–45570 (2015). &
- Overexpression of malic enzyme (ME) of Mucor circinelloides improved lipid accumulation in engineered Rhodotorula glutinis. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 97, 4927–4936 (2013). et al.
- Malic enzyme: Its purification and characterization from Mucor circinelloides and occurrence in other oleaginous fungi. World J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 13, 7–9 (1997). , &
- Engineering Rhodosporidium toruloides for increased lipid production. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 113, 1056–1066 (2016). et al.
- Cloning and characterization of the gene encoding phosphoketolase in Leuconostoc mesenteroides isolated from kimchi. Biotechnol. Lett. 27, 853–858 (2005). et al.
- Use of phosphoketolase and phosphotransacetylase for production of acetyl-coenzyme a derived compounds. US patent 20140273144 (2014). et al.
- Process Design and Economics for the Conversion of Lignocellulosic Biomass to Hydrocarbons: Dilute-Acid and Enzymatic Deconstruction of Biomass to Sugars and Biological Conversion of Sugars to Hydrocarbons No. NREL/TP-5100–60223. (National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), Golden, CO., 2013). et al.
- Enhancing fatty acid production by the expression of the regulatory transcription factor FadR. Metab. Eng. 14, 653–660 (2012). et al.
- Overproduction and secretion of free fatty acids through disrupted neutral lipid recycle in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Metab. Eng. 28, 54–62 (2015). , , &
- Metabolic engineering of Saccharomyces cerevisiae for production of fatty acid-derived biofuels and chemicals. Metab. Eng. 21, 103–113 (2014). &
- An evolutionary metabolic engineering approach for enhancing lipogenesis in Yarrowia lipolytica. Metab. Eng. 29, 36–45 (2015). , , , &
- Surveying the lipogenesis landscape in Yarrowia lipolytica through understanding the function of a Mga2p regulatory protein mutant. Metab. Eng. 31, 102–111 (2015). et al.
- Functional overexpression and characterization of lipogenesis-related genes in the oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 100, 3781–3798 (2016). , , &
- Metabolic engineering of the oleaginous yeast Rhodosporidium toruloides IFO0880 for lipid overproduction during high-density fermentation. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 100, 9393–9405 (2016). , , , &
- OPTIMIZER: a web server for optimizing the codon usage of DNA sequences. Nucleic Acids Res. 35, W126–W131 (2007). , , &
- A de novo NADPH generation pathway for improving lysine production of Corynebacterium glutamicum by rational design of the coenzyme specificity of glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase. Metab. Eng. 25, 30–37 (2014). , , &
- Supplementary Text and Figures (1,002 KB)
Supplementary Figures 1–13, Supplementary Tables 1–7, and Supplementary Notes 1–3