Digital medicine companies can incorporate and build on existing business models in tech and biomedicine to bring transformational new products to market and eventually reshape medicine.
At a glance
- Nat. Biotechnol. 33, 456–461 (2015). , &
- Press Secretary. Fact sheet: President Obama's Precision Medicine Initiative (The White House, Office of the Press Secretary, 30 January 2015). https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/01/30/fact-sheet-president-obama-s-precision-medicine-initiative
- Google developing health tracking wristband for health research. (23 June, 2015) http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-06-23/googledeveloping-health-tracking-wristband-for-health-research &
- Qualcomm. Qualcomm announces strategic collaboration with Novartis to optimize global clinical trials (Qualcomm, San Diego, 5 January 2015). https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2015/01/05/qualcomm-announces-strategic-collaboration-novartis-optimize-global
- The Evolving Landscape of Medical Apps in Healthcare (HIT Consultant, 23 June 2014). http://hitconsultant.net/2014/06/23/the-evolving-landscape-of-medical-apps-in-healthcare/
- WellDoc raises $20 million to market first mobile prescription for diabetes management. Forbes (10 January 2014). http://www.forbes.com/sites/zinamoukheiber/2014/01/10/welldoc-raises-20-million-to-market-first-mobile-prescription-for-diabetes-management/
- Anonymous. Fourth Annual Study on mHealth Economics (research2guidance. mHealtheconomics.com; Berlin, 2014).
- Diabetes Care 34, 1934–1942 (2011). et al.
- J. Med. Internet Res. 17, e92 (2015). , &
- Omada health raises $23 million to help prevent chronic diseases online. Mashable (9 April 2014). http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/omada-health/
- Heart Rhythm 12, 554–559 (2015). et al.
- Battelle Technology Partnership Practice. Biopharmaceutical Industry-Sponsored Clinical Trials: Impact on State Economies (Battelle, Columbus, OH, March 2015). http://www.phrma.org/sites/default/files/pdf/biopharmaceutical-industry-sponsored-clinical-trials-impact-on-state-economies.pdf
- Akili. Akili Interactive Labs announces partnership with Pfizer to test video game in people at risk of Alzheimer's Disease (PR Newswire, 9 January 2015). http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/akili-interactive-labs-announces-partnership-with-pfizer-to-test-video-game-in-people-at-risk-of-alzheimers-disease-239412291.html
- Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development. Briefing: cost of developing a new drug (Tufts, 18 November 2014). http://csdd.tufts.edu/files/uploads/Tufts_CSDD_briefing_on_RD_cost_study_-_Nov_18,_2014..pdf?__hstc=261393298.2848554334d37e0371e5a4fb0dfc293b.1438881102208.1438881102208.1438881102208.1&__hssc=261393298.1.1438881102208&__hsfp=3664478715
- How much does pharmaceutical innovation cost? A look at 100 companies. Forbes (11 August 2013). http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2013/08/11/the-cost-of-inventing-a-new-drug-98-companies-ranked/
- US Food and Drug Administration. Orphan Drug Act—Excerpts; Public Law 97-414, as amended (FDA, 18 July 2013). http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/SignificantAmendmentstotheFDCAct/OrphanDrugAct/default.htm
- US Food and Drug Administration. Adaptive design clinical trials for drugs and biologics (FDA, February 2010). http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/Guidances/ucm201790.pdf
- 2012 (HBM, Zug, Switzerland, January 2013). http://www.hbmpartners.com/wAssets/docs/industry-reports/HBM-Pharma-Biotech-M-A-Report-2012.pdf , &
- 2010). , & FDA Impact on US Medical Technology Innovation (Medical Device Manufacturers Association; Washington, DC,
- Medical device investing drops, though some VCs welcome 'weeding out' process. The Wall Street Journal (7 February 2014). http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2014/02/07/medical-device-investing-drops-thoughsome-vcs-welcome-weeding-out-process/
- The guts of a new machine. The New York Times (30 November 2003). http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/30/magazine/the-guts-of-a-new-machine.html
- 14 famous business pivots. Forbes (8 October 2013). http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonnazar/2013/10/08/14-famous-business-pivots/
- Slack now has 1.1M daily active users, 300K paid seats, $25M in annual recurring revenue. VentureBeat (24 June 2015). http://venturebeat.com/2015/06/24/slack-now-has-1-1m-daily-active-users-300k-paid-seats-25m-in-annual-recurring-revenue/