Sequence-specific nucleases have been applied to engineer targeted modifications in polyploid genomes1, but simultaneous modification of multiple homoeoalleles has not been reported. Here we use transcription activator–like effector nuclease (TALEN)2, 3 and clustered, regularly interspaced, short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)-Cas9 (refs. 4,5) technologies in hexaploid bread wheat to introduce targeted mutations in the three homoeoalleles that encode MILDEW-RESISTANCE LOCUS (MLO) proteins6. Genetic redundancy has prevented evaluation of whether mutation of all three MLO alleles in bread wheat might confer resistance to powdery mildew, a trait not found in natural populations7. We show that TALEN-induced mutation of all three TaMLO homoeologs in the same plant confers heritable broad-spectrum resistance to powdery mildew. We further use CRISPR-Cas9 technology to generate transgenic wheat plants that carry mutations in the TaMLO-A1 allele. We also demonstrate the feasibility of engineering targeted DNA insertion in bread wheat through nonhomologous end joining of the double-strand breaks caused by TALENs. Our findings provide a methodological framework to improve polyploid crops.
At a glance
- A guide to genome engineering with programmable nucleases. Nat. Rev. Genet. 15, 321–334 (2014). &
- Breaking the code of DNA binding specificity of TAL-type III effectors. Science 326, 1509–1512 (2009). et al.
- A simple cipher governs DNA recognition by TAL effectors. Science 326, 1501 (2009). &
- Multiplex genome engineering using CRISPR/Cas systems. Science 339, 819–823 (2013). et al.
- RNA-guided human genome engineering via Cas9. Science 339, 823–826 (2013). et al.
- Functional conservation of wheat and rice Mlo orthologs in defense modulation to the powdery mildew fungus. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 15, 1069–1077 (2002). et al.
- Virus-induced gene silencing of Mlo genes induces powdery mildew resistance in Triticum aestivum. Arch. Virol. 157, 1345–1350 (2012). , &
- A reverse genetic, nontransgenic approach to wheat crop improvement by TILLING. Nat. Biotechnol. 23, 75–81 (2005). et al.
- Genetics and Genomics of the Triticeae Vol. 7. (eds. Muehlbauer, G.J. & Feuillet, C.) 685–711 (Springer US, 2009). in
- Enhancing gene targeting with designed zinc finger nucleases. Science 300, 764 (2003). , , &
- Double-strand break end resection and repair pathway choice. Annu. Rev. Genet. 45, 247–271 (2011). &
- Precision genome engineering and agriculture: opportunities and regulatory challenges. PLoS Biol. 12, e1001877 (2014). &
- High frequency targeted mutagenesis in Arabidopsis thaliana using zinc-finger nucleases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107, 12028–12033 (2010). et al.
- Multigeneration analysis reveals the inheritance, specificity, and patterns of CRISPR/Cas-induced gene modifications in Arabidopsis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 111, 4632–4637 (2014). et al.
- Targeted mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana using engineered TAL effector nucleases. G3 (Bethesda) 3, 1697–1705 (2013). , , &
- High-efficiency TALEN-based gene editing produces disease-resistant rice. Nat. Biotechnol. 30, 390–392 (2012). et al.
- Targeted genome modification of crop plants using a CRISPR-Cas system. Nat. Biotechnol. 31, 686–688 (2013). et al.
- The barley Mlo gene: A novel control element of plant pathogen resistance. Cell 88, 695–705 (1997). et al.
- A barley cultivation-associated polymorphism conveys resistance to powdery mildew. Nature 430, 887–891 (2004). et al.
- Conserved requirement for a plant host cell protein in powdery mildew pathogenesis. Nat. Genet. 38, 716–720 (2006). et al.
- Naturally occurring broad-spectrum powdery mildew resistance in a central american tomato accession is caused by loss of mlo function. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 21, 30–39 (2008). et al.
- Efficient design and assembly of custom TALEN and other TAL effector-based constructs for DNA targeting. Nucleic Acids Res. 39, e82 (2011). et al.
- Rapid and efficient gene modification in rice and brachypodium using TALENs. Mol. Plant 6, 1365–1368 (2013). et al.
- Ubiquitin promoter-based vectors for high-level expression of selectable and/or screenable marker genes in monocotyledonous plants. Transgenic Res. 5, 213–218 (1996). &
- Efficient genome editing in plants using a CRISPR/Cas system. Cell Res. 23, 1229–1232 (2013). et al.
- RNA-guided genome editing in plants using a CRISPR-Cas system. Mol. Plant 6, 1975–1983 (2013). &
- Pathogen population genetics, evolutionary potential, and durable resistance. Annu. Re. Phytopathol. 40, 349–379 (2002). &
- Transcription activator-like effector nucleases enable efficient plant genome engineering. Plant Physiol. 161, 20–27 (2013). et al.
- Effect of two consensus sequences preceding the translation initiator codon on gene expression in plant protoplasts. Plant Mol. Biol. 18, 815–818 (1992). , &
- Procedures allowing the transformation of a range of European elite wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) varieties via particle bombardment. J. Exp. Bot. 52, 865–874 (2001). et al.
- Virus-induced gene silencing-based functional characterization of genes associated with powdery mildew resistance in barley. Plant Physiol. 138, 2155–2164 (2005). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (17.4 MB)
Supplementary Figures 1–7 and Supplementary Tables 1–6