- http://www.citeline.com/wp-content/uploads/Citleine-Pharma-RD-annual-review-20111.pdf (Citeline Drug Intelligence, 2012). , ed. Citeline Drug Intelligence. Pharma R&D Annual Review 2011.
- EvaluatePharma. World Preview 2018: Embracing the Patent Cliff. http://info.evaluatepharma.com/WP2018_ELS_LP.html (2012).
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America. Annual Report 2011. http://www.phrma.org/sites/default/files/159/phrma_2011_annual_report.pdf (2011).
- 2012 FDA drug approvals. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 12, 87–90 (2013).
- Macro trends in pharmaceutical innovation. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 4, 78–84 (2005).
- Trends in risks associated with new drug development: success rates for investigational drugs. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 87, 272–277 (2010). , , &
- Pharmaceutical innovation in the 21st century: new drug approvals in the first decade, 2000–2009. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 89, 183–188 (2011). &
- Can the pharmaceutical industry reduce attrition rates? Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 3, 711–715 (2004). &
- http://www.ftc.gov/be/workpapers/wp274.pdf (US Federal Trade Commission: Bureau of Economics, 2004). , & Pharmaceutical Development Phases: A Duration Analysis. Working paper no. 274.
- Scale, scope, and spillovers: the determinants of research productivity in drug discovery. Rand J. Econ. 27, 32–59 (1996). &
- Scale and scope in drug development: unpacking the advantages of size in pharmaceutical research. J. Health Econ. 20, 1033–1057 (2001). &
- Productivity in pharmaceutical–biotechnology R&D: the role of experience and alliances. J. Health Econ. 24, 317–339 (2005). , &
- A breath of fresh air? Firm type, scale, scope, and selection effects in drug development. Manage. Sci. 55, 1638–1653 (2009). , , &
- Success rates in the United States drug development system. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 36, 574–583 (1984). et al.
- The Outcome of Research on New Molecular Entities Commencing Clinical Research in the Years 1976–79 (OPE Study 77). (Office of Planning and Evaluation, US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD, 1988). , &
- Success rates for new drugs entering clinical testing in the United States. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 58, 1–14 (1995).
- Risks in new drug development: approval success rates for investigational drugs. Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 69, 297–307 (2001).
- The price of innovation: new estimates of drug development costs. J. Health Econ. 22, 151–185 (2003). , &
- The cost of biopharmaceutical R&D: is biotech different? Manag. Decis. Econ. 28, 469–479 (2007). &
- 2010). in 2010 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting (Chicago, IL;
- FDA. Guidance for Industry: Adaptive Design Clinical Trials for Drugs and Biologics. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidances/ucm201790.pdf (FDA, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, 2010).
- Supplementary Figures and Supplementary Tables (33 KB)
Supplementary Figures 1 and 2 and Supplementary Tables 1 and 2