RNA editing is a post-transcriptional event that recodes hereditary information. Here we describe a comprehensive profile of the RNA editome of a male Han Chinese individual based on analysis of ~767 million sequencing reads from poly(A)+, poly(A)− and small RNA samples. We developed a computational pipeline that carefully controls for false positives while calling RNA editing events from genome and whole-transcriptome data of the same individual. We identified 22,688 RNA editing events in noncoding genes and introns, untranslated regions and coding sequences of protein-coding genes. Most changes (~93%) converted A to I(G), consistent with known editing mechanisms based on adenosine deaminase acting on RNA (ADAR). We also found evidence of other types of nucleotide changes; however, these were validated at lower rates. We found 44 editing sites in microRNAs (miRNAs), suggesting a potential link between RNA editing and miRNA-mediated regulation. Our approach facilitates large-scale studies to profile and compare editomes across a wide range of samples.
At a glance
- RNA editing in regulating gene expression in the brain. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1779, 459–470 (2008). &
- Functions and regulation of RNA editing by ADAR deaminases. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 79, 321–349 (2010).
- Alu sequences in undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells display high levels of A-to-I RNA editing. PLoS ONE 5, e11173 (2010). et al.
- Adenosine-to-inosine RNA editing shapes transcriptome diversity in primates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107, 12174–12179 (2010). et al.
- Widespread A-to-I RNA editing of Alu-containing mRNAs in the human transcriptome. PLoS Biol. 2, e391 (2004). , &
- A survey of RNA editing in human brain. Genome Res. 14, 2379–2387 (2004). , , &
- Widespread RNA editing of embedded alu elements in the human transcriptome. Genome Res. 14, 1719–1725 (2004). et al.
- Systematic identification of abundant A-to-I editing sites in the human transcriptome. Nat. Biotechnol. 22, 1001–1005 (2004). et al.
- DARNED: a DAtabase of RNa EDiting in humans. Bioinformatics 26, 1772–1776 (2010). &
- ADAR editing in double-stranded UTRs and other noncoding RNA sequences. Trends Biochem. Sci. 35, 377–383 (2010). &
- Molecular diversity through RNA editing: a balancing act. Trends Genet. 26, 221–230 (2010). &
- Proteome diversification by adenosine to inosine RNA editing. RNA Biol. 7, 205–212 (2010). &
- Sequence based identification of RNA editing sites. RNA Biol. 7, 248–252 (2010). , &
- Mouse let-7 miRNA populations exhibit RNA editing that is constrained in the 5′-seed/cleavage/anchor regions and stabilize predicted mmu-let-7a:mRNA duplexes. Genome Res. 18, 1571–1581 (2008). et al.
- RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 10, 57–63 (2009). , &
- Mapping and quantifying mammalian transcriptomes by RNA-Seq. Nat. Methods 5, 621–628 (2008). , , , &
- Applications of new sequencing technologies for transcriptome analysis. Annu. Rev. Genomics Hum. Genet. 10, 135–151 (2009). , &
- Large-scale mRNA sequencing determines global regulation of RNA editing during brain development. Genome Res. 19, 978–986 (2009). , , &
- Genome-wide identification of human RNA editing sites by parallel DNA capturing and sequencing. Science 324, 1210–1213 (2009). et al.
- Widespread RNA and DNA sequence differences in the human transcriptome. Science 333, 53–58 (2011). et al.
- Accurate Identification of A-to-I RNA editing in human by transcriptome sequencing. Genome Res. 142–150 (2012). et al.
- The diploid genome sequence of an Asian individual. Nature 456, 60–65 (2008). et al.
- Profiling the HeLa S3 transcriptome using randomly primed cDNA and massively parallel short-read sequencing. Biotechniques 45, 81–94 (2008). et al.
- Screening the human exome: a comparison of whole genome and whole transcriptome sequencing. Genome Biol. 11, R57 (2010). et al.
- The long noncoding RNA, Jpx, is a molecular switch for X chromosome inactivation. Cell 143, 390–403 (2010). , &
- The nuclear-retained noncoding RNA MALAT1 regulates alternative splicing by modulating SR splicing factor phosphorylation. Mol. Cell 39, 925–938 (2010). et al.
- A long nuclear-retained non-coding RNA regulates synaptogenesis by modulating gene expression. EMBO J. 29, 3082–3093 (2010). et al.
- Mutational evolution in a lobular breast tumour profiled at single nucleotide resolution. Nature 461, 809–813 (2009). et al.
- Is abundant A-to-I RNA editing primate-specific? Trends Genet. 21, 77–81 (2005). et al.
- Adenosine deamination in human transcripts generates novel microRNA binding sites. Hum. Mol. Genet. 18, 4801–4807 (2009). et al.
- Mammalian microRNAs: experimental evaluation of novel and previously annotated genes. Genes Dev. 24, 992–1009 (2010). et al.
- Frequency and fate of microRNA editing in human brain. Nucleic Acids Res. 36, 5270–5280 (2008). et al.
- Redirection of silencing targets by adenosine-to-inosine editing of miRNAs. Science 315, 1137–1140 (2007). et al.
- RNA editing of the microRNA-151 precursor blocks cleavage by the Dicer-TRBP complex. EMBO Rep. 8, 763–769 (2007). , , , &
- Effect of read-mapping biases on detecting allele-specific expression from RNA-sequencing data. Bioinformatics 25, 3207–3212 (2009). et al.
- Very few RNA and DNA sequence differences in the human transcriptome. PLoS ONE 6, e25842 (2011). , &
- Computation for ChIP-seq and RNA-seq studies. Nat. Methods 6, S22–S32 (2009). , &
- Computational detection and functional analysis of human tissue-specific A-to-I RNA editing. PLoS ONE 6, e18129 (2011). et al.
- Genome-wide evaluation and discovery of vertebrate A-to-I RNA editing sites. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 412, 407–412 (2011). et al.
- Transcriptome from a lymphoblastoid cell line taken from the YH Han Chinese individual. Giga Sci. http://dx.doi.org/10.5524/100013. (2011). et al.
- SOAP2: an improved ultrafast tool for short read alignment. Bioinformatics 25, 1966–1967 (2009). et al.
- SOAPsplice: genome-wide ab initio detection of splice junctions from RNA-Seq data. Front. Genet. 2 (2011). et al.
- Mapping short DNA sequencing reads and calling variants using mapping quality scores. Genome Res. 18, 1851–1858 (2008). , &
- SNP detection for massively parallel whole-genome resequencing. Genome Res. 19, 1124–1132 (2009). et al.
- CNVnator: an approach to discover, genotype, and characterize typical and atypical CNVs from family and population genome sequencing. Genome Res. 21, 974–984 (2011). , , &
- Sequence-specific error profile of Illumina sequencers. Nucleic Acids Res. 39, e90 (2011). et al.
- A framework for variation discovery and genotyping using next-generation DNA sequencing data. Nat. Genet. 43, 491–498 (2011). et al.
- Accurate whole human genome sequencing using reversible terminator chemistry. Nature 456, 53–59 (2008). et al.
- The complete genome of an individual by massively parallel DNA sequencing. Nature 452, 872–876 (2008). et al.
- A highly annotated whole-genome sequence of a Korean individual. Nature 460, 1011–1015 (2009). et al.
- Supplementary Text and Figures (11M)
Supplementary Tables 1, 4–5, 7, 10–11, 14, 16, Supplementary Discussion, Supplementary Methods and Supplementary Figures 1–8