Spin–orbit coupling (SOC) describes the relativistic interaction between the spin and momentum degrees of freedom of electrons, and is central to the rich phenomena observed in condensed matter systems. In recent years, new phases of matter have emerged from the interplay between SOC and low dimensionality, such as chiral spin textures and spin-polarized surface and interface states. These low-dimensional SOC-based realizations are typically robust and can be exploited at room temperature. Here we discuss SOC as a means of producing such fundamentally new physical phenomena in thin films and heterostructures. We put into context the technological promise of these material classes for developing spin-based device applications at room temperature.
At a glance
- Properties of semiconductors with an extremum loop. I. Cyclotron and combinational resonance in a magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the loop. Sov. Phys. Solid State 2, 1109–1122 (1960)
- New perspectives for Rashba spin–orbit coupling. Nat. Mater. 14, 871–882 (2015) , , , &
- Spin polarization of conduction electrons induced by electric current in two-dimensional asymmetric electron systems. Solid State Commun. 73, 233–235 (1990).
This paper describes the mechanism that leads to spin polarization when a charge current passes through a 2D electronic system with SOC, which is the basis of the spin–charge conversion mechanism described here.
- Spin Hall effects in metals. IEEE Trans. Magn. 49, 5172–5193 (2013)
- Ch. 11 (Oxford Univ. Press, 2012) in Spin Current (eds et al.)
- Spin–orbit torque magnetization switching of a three-terminal perpendicular magnetic tunnel junction. Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 042406 (2014) et al.
- A thermodynamic theory of ‘weak’ ferromagnetism of antiferromagnetics. J. Phys. Chem. Solids 4, 241–255 (1958)
- Anisotropic superexchange interaction and weak ferromagnetism. Phys. Rev. 120, 91–98 (1960)
- Role of anisotropic exchange interactions in determining the properties of spin-glasses. Phys. Rev. Lett. 44, 1538–1541 (1980) &
- Magnetic and transport properties of metallic multilayers. Mater. Sci. Forum 59–60, 439–480 (1990).
This work provides a theoretical description of the mechanism that underlies DMI generated at the interface between a ferromagnetic layer and a strong SOC metal.
- Chiral magnetic order at surfaces driven by inversion asymmetry. Nature 447, 190–193 (2007).
This paper represents the first identified observation of interfacial DMI-induced spin modulations in ultrathin magnetic films.
- Spin splitting of an Au(111) surface state band observed with angle resolved photoelectron spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. Lett. 77, 3419–3422 (1996) , &
- Hole dynamics in a two-dimensional spin–orbit coupled electron system: theoretical and experimental study of the Au(111) surface state. Phys. Rev. B 80, 113402 (2009) et al.
- Giant spin splitting through surface alloying. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 186807 (2007) et al.
- Quantum spin Hall effect and topological phase transition in HgTe quantum wells. Science 314, 1757–1761 (2006) , &
- Quantum spin Hall insulator state in HgTe quantum wells. Science 318, 766–770 (2007) et al.
- Topological insulators in three dimensions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 106803 (2007) , &
- Colloquium: Topological insulators. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 3045–3067 (2010) &
- A topological Dirac insulator in a quantum spin Hall phase. Nature 452, 970–974 (2008) et al.
- A tunable topological insulator in the spin helical Dirac transport regime. Nature 460, 1101–1105 (2009).
A single-Dirac-cone topological insulator with spin–momentum locking at room temperature and a tunable chemical potential is demonstrated for the first time.
- Bulk band gap and surface state conduction observed in voltage-tuned crystals of the topological insulator Bi2Se3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 196801 (2011) , , &
- Spatial fluctuations of helical Dirac fermions on the surface of topological insulators. Nat. Phys. 7, 939–943 (2011) et al.
- Quantum Hall effect from the topological surface states of strained bulk HgTe. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 126803 (2011) et al.
- Control over topological insulator photocurrents with light polarization. Nat. Nanotechnol. 7, 96–100 (2011) , , , &
- Massive Dirac fermion on the surface of a magnetically doped topological insulator. Science 329, 659–662 (2010) et al.
- Hedgehog spin texture and Berry’s phase tuning in a magnetic topological insulator. Nat. Phys. 8, 616–622 (2012) et al.
- Experimental observation of the quantum anomalous Hall effect in a magnetic topological insulator. Science 340, 167–170 (2013) et al.
- Fermi-level-dependent charge-to-spin current conversion by Dirac surface state of topological insulators. Nat. Phys. 12, 1027–1031 (2016) et al.
- Spin-to-charge conversion using Rashba coupling at the interface between non-magnetic materials. Nat. Commun. 4, 2944 (2013) et al.
- Microscopic theory of the inverse Edelstein effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 096601 (2014) , &
- Spin to charge conversion at room temperature by spin pumping into a new type of topological insulator: α-Sn films. Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 096602 (2016).
Highly efficient spin-to-charge conversion in a topological insulator is observed at room temperature.
- Spin-transfer torque generated by a topological insulator. Nature 511, 449–451 (2014) et al.
- Magnetization switching through giant spin–orbit torque in a magnetically doped topological insulator heterostructure. Nat. Mater. 13, 699–704 (2014) et al.
- Electrical detection of charge-current-induced spin polarization due to spin–momentum locking in Bi2Se3. Nat. Nanotechnol. 9, 218–224 (2014).
Spin polarisation induced by a charge current in the surface states of a single-Dirac-cone topological insulator is conclusively demonstrated.
- Surface-state-dominated spin–charge current conversion in topological-insulator–ferromagnetic-insulator heterostructures. Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 076601 (2016) et al.
- Spin–electricity conversion induced by spin injection into topological insulators. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 196601 (2014) et al.
- Temperature dependence of inverse Rashba–Edelstein effect at metallic interface. Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 212403 (2015) , , &
- Highly efficient and tunable spin-to-charge conversion through Rashba coupling at oxide interfaces. Nat. Mater. http://www.dx.doi.org/10.1038/nmat4726 (2016) et al.
- Band structure engineering in (Bi1−xSbx)2Te3 ternary topological insulators. Nat. Commun. 2, 574 (2011) et al.
- Creation of helical Dirac fermions by interfacing two gapped systems of ordinary fermions. Nat. Commun. 4, 1384 (2013) et al.
- Crossover of the three-dimensional topological insulator Bi2Se3 to the two-dimensional limit. Nat. Phys. 6, 584–588 (2010) et al.
- Momentum-resolved STM studies of Rashba-split surface states on the topological semimetal Sb. J. Electron Spectrosc. Relat. Phenom. 201, 66–73 (2015) &
- Topological p–n junction. Phys. Rev. B 85, 235131 (2012) , , &
- The electronic properties of graphene. Rev. Mod. Phys. 81, 109–162 (2009) , , , &
- Impurity-induced spin–orbit coupling in graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 026804 (2009) &
- Band-structure topologies of graphene: spin–orbit coupling effects from first principles. Phys. Rev. B 80, 235431 (2009) , , , &
- Giant Rashba splitting in graphene due to hybridization with gold. Nat. Commun. 3, 1232 (2012).
This paper reports the first demonstration of large SOC enhancement in graphene induced by hybridization with underlying metal.
- Graphene with structure-induced spin–orbit coupling: spin-polarized states, spin zero modes, and quantum Hall effect. Phys. Rev. B 79, 161409 (2009)
- Extrinsic spin Hall effect induced by resonant skew scattering in graphene. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112, 066601 (2014) , , &
- Spin-current to charge-current conversion and magnetoresistance in a hybrid structure of graphene and yttrium iron garnet. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 226601 (2015) et al.
- Colossal enhancement of spin–orbit coupling in weakly hydrogenated graphene. Nat. Phys. 9, 284–287 (2013) , , , &
- Local spectroscopic characterization of spin and layer polarization in WSe2. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 136803 (2015) , &
- https://arxiv.org/abs/1510.03451 (2016) et al. Direct observation of spin-to-charge conversion in MoS2 monolayer with spin pumping. Preprint at
- Strong interface-induced spin–orbit interaction in graphene on WS2. Nat. Commun. 6, 8339 (2015) et al.
- Current-induced spin polarization in topological insulator–graphene heterostructures. Nano Lett. 16, 2595–2602 (2016) , , &
- Thermodynamically stable magnetic vortex states in magnetic crystals. J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 138, 255–269 (1994) &
- Chiral symmetry breaking in magnetic thin films and multilayers. Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 037203 (2001).
This work provides the first theoretical prediction and description of magnetic skyrmions in thin films.
- Skyrmion lattice in a chiral magnet. Science 323, 915–919 (2009) et al.
- Real-space observation of a two-dimensional skyrmion crystal. Nature 465, 901–904 (2010) et al.
- Topological properties and dynamics of magnetic skyrmions. Nat. Nanotechnol. 8, 899–911 (2013) &
- Spontaneous atomic-scale magnetic skyrmion lattice in two dimensions. Nat. Phys. 7, 713–718 (2011) et al.
- Writing and deleting single magnetic skyrmions. Science 341, 636–639 (2013).
This paper reports the first observation of isolated, 8-nm skyrmions in an ultrathin magnetic film, and demonstrates the creation and deletion of skyrmions.
- Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction accounting for the orientation of magnetic domains in ultrathin films: Fe/W(110). Phys. Rev. B 78, 140403 (2008) , &
- Real-space observation of a right-rotating inhomogeneous cycloidal spin spiral by spin-polarized scanning tunneling microscopy in a triple axes vector magnet. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 157201 (2009) et al.
- Tailoring the chirality of magnetic domain walls by interface engineering. Nat. Commun. 4, 2671 (2013) et al.
- Current-driven dynamics of chiral ferromagnetic domain walls. Nat. Mater. 12, 611–616 (2013) , , , &
- Additive interfacial chiral interaction in multilayers for stabilization of small individual skyrmions at room temperature. Nat. Nanotechnol. 11, 444–448 (2016).
30-nm skyrmions in sputtered multilayer films are observed at room temperature.
- Observation of room-temperature magnetic skyrmions and their current-driven dynamics in ultrathin metallic ferromagnets. Nat. Mater. 15, 501–506 (2016) et al.
- Blowing magnetic skyrmion bubbles. Science 349, 283–286 (2015) et al.
- Skyrmions on the track. Nat. Nanotechnol. 8, 152–156 (2013) , &
- Tailoring magnetic skyrmions in ultra-thin transition metal films. Nat. Commun. 5, 4030 (2014) , , &
- Anatomy of Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction at Co/Pt interfaces. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 267210 (2015) , , , &
- Thickness dependence of the interfacial Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction in inversion symmetry broken systems. Nat. Commun. 6, 7635 (2015) et al.
- Skyrmion confinement in ultrathin film nanostructures in the presence of Dzyaloshinskii–Moriya interaction. Phys. Rev. B 88, 184422 (2013) &
- Nucleation, stability and current-induced motion of isolated magnetic skyrmions in nanostructures. Nat. Nanotechnol. 8, 839–844 (2013) , , , &
- Stability of single skyrmionic bits. Nat. Commun. 6, 8455 (2015) , , , &
- Room temperature skyrmion ground state stabilized through interlayer exchange coupling. Appl. Phys. Lett. 106, 242404 (2015) , , &
- Room-temperature chiral magnetic skyrmions in ultrathin magnetic nanostructures. Nat. Nanotechnol. 11, 449–454 (2016) et al.
- Realization of ground-state artificial skyrmion lattices at room temperature. Nat. Commun. 6, 9462 (2015) et al.
- https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.06034 (2016) et al. Tunable room temperature magnetic skyrmions in Ir/Fe/Co/Pt multilayers. Preprint at
- Topological Hall effect in the A phase of MnSi. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 186602 (2009) et al.
- Emergent electrodynamics of skyrmions in a chiral magnet. Nat. Phys. 8, 301–304 (2012) et al.
- Extended skyrmion phase in epitaxial FeGe(111) thin films. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 267201 (2012) &
- Current-induced skyrmion dynamics in constricted geometries. Nat. Nanotechnol. 8, 742–747 (2013) , &
- Generation of magnetic skyrmion bubbles by inhomogeneous spin Hall currents. Phys. Rev. B 93, 094407 (2016) , , , &
- A strategy for the design of skyrmion racetrack memories. Sci. Rep. 4, 6784 (2014) et al.
- Voltage controlled magnetic skyrmion motion for racetrack memory. Sci. Rep. 6, 23164 (2016) et al.
- Magnetic domain-wall racetrack memory. Science 320, 190–194 (2008) , &
- Domain-wall velocities of up to 750 m s−1 driven by exchange-coupling torque in synthetic antiferromagnets. Nat. Nanotechnol. 10, 221–226 (2015) , &
- Matching domain-wall configuration and spin–orbit torques for efficient domain-wall motion. Phys. Rev. B 87, 020402 (2013) et al.
- High domain wall velocities induced by current in ultrathin Pt/Co/AlOx wires with perpendicular magnetic anisotropy. Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 262504 (2008) et al.
- Dynamics of Dzyaloshinskii domain walls in ultrathin magnetic films. Europhys. Lett. 100, 57002 (2012) , , , &
- Low-current perpendicular domain wall motion cell for scalable high-speed MRAM. In 2009 Symposium on VLSI Technology 230–231 (IEEE, 2009) et al.
- Magnetic skyrmion transistor: skyrmion motion in a voltage-gated nanotrack. Sci. Rep. 5, 11369 (2015) , , , &
- Skyrmion based microwave detectors and harvesting. Appl. Phys. Lett. 107, 262401 (2015) et al.
- https://arxiv.org/abs/1512.05428 (2015) , & Spin–orbit logic with magnetoelectric nodes: a scalable charge mediated nonvolatile spintronic logic. Preprint at
- Microwave-driven ferromagnet–topological-insulator heterostructures: the prospect for giant spin battery effect and quantized charge pump devices. Phys. Rev. B 82, 195440 (2010) , , &
- Spin Seebeck power generators. Appl. Phys. Lett. 104, 042402 (2014) , &
- Spin-based Mach–Zehnder Interferometry in topological insulator p–n junctions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 115, 096802 (2015) , &
- Magnetic bubbles with a twist. Science 349, 234–235 (2015)