Many different photovoltaic technologies are being developed for large-scale solar energy conversion1, 2, 3, 4. The wafer-based first-generation photovoltaic devices1 have been followed by thin-film solid semiconductor absorber layers sandwiched between two charge-selective contacts3 and nanostructured (or mesostructured) solar cells that rely on a distributed heterojunction to generate charge and to transport positive and negative charges in spatially separated phases4, 5, 6. Although many materials have been used in nanostructured devices, the goal of attaining high-efficiency thin-film solar cells in such a way has yet to be achieved7. Organometal halide perovskites have recently emerged as a promising material for high-efficiency nanostructured devices8, 9, 10, 11. Here we show that nanostructuring is not necessary to achieve high efficiencies with this material: a simple planar heterojunction solar cell incorporating vapour-deposited perovskite as the absorbing layer can have solar-to-electrical power conversion efficiencies of over 15 per cent (as measured under simulated full sunlight). This demonstrates that perovskite absorbers can function at the highest efficiencies in simplified device architectures, without the need for complex nanostructures.
- Silicon photovoltaic modules: a brief history of the first 50 years. Prog. Photovolt. Res. Appl. 13, 447–455 (2005)
- Materials interface engineering for solution-processed photovoltaics. Nature 488, 304–312 (2012) , , &
- Thin-film solar cells: an overview. Prog. Photovolt. Res. Appl. 12, 69–92 (2004) , &
- A low-cost, high-efficiency solar cell based on dye-sensitized colloidal TiO2 films. Nature 353, 737–740 (1991) &
- Efficient photodiodes from interpenetrating polymer networks. Nature 376, 498–500 (1995) et al.
- Polymer photovoltaic cells: enhanced efficiencies via a network of internal donor-acceptor heterojunctions. Science 270, 1789–1791 (1995) , , , &
- Solar cell efficiency tables (version 40). Prog. Photovolt. Res. Appl. 20, 606–614 (2012) , , , &
- Efficient hybrid solar cells based on meso-superstructured organometal halide perovskites. Science 338, 643–647 (2012) , , , &
- Organometal halide perovskites as visible-light sensitizers for photovoltaic cells. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 131, 6050–6051 (2009) , , &
- Lead iodide perovskite sensitized all-solid-state submicron thin film mesoscopic solar cell with efficiency exceeding 9%. Sci. Rep. 2 591 doi:10.1038/srep00591 (2012) et al.
- Chemical management for colorful, efficient, and stable inorganic-organic hybrid nanostructured solar cells. Nano Lett. 13, 1764–1769 (2013) , , , &
- Hybrid nanorod-polymer solar cells. Science 295, 2425–2427 (2002) , &
- Hybrid solar cells based on nanoparticles of CuInS2 in organic matrices. Adv. Funct. Mater. 13, 165–171 (2003) , &
- Solution-processed PbS quantum dot infrared photodetectors and photovoltaics. Nature Mater. 4, 138–142 (2005) et al.
- Layered organic–inorganic hybrid perovskites: structure, optical properties, film preparation, patterning and templating engineering. CrystEngComm 12, 2646–2662 (2010) &
- Efficient inorganic-organic hybrid heterojunction solar cells containing perovskite compound and polymeric hole conductors. Nature Photon. 7, 486–491 (2013) et al.
- Low-temperature processed meso-superstructured to thin-film perovskite solar cells. Energy Environ. Sci. 6, 1739–1743 (2013) , , &
- First principles modeling of mixed halide organometal perovskites for photovoltaic applications. J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 13902–13913 (2013) , , , &
- The origin of collected charge and open-circuit voltage in blended polyfluorene photovoltaic devices. Adv. Mater. 16, 1640–1645 (2004) , &
- Morphology control and material mixing by high-temperature organic vapor-phase deposition and its application to thin-film solar cells. J. Appl. Phys. 98, 014906 (2005) , &
- in Photovoltaic Specialists Conf. (Conference Record of the Twenty-Eighth IEEE) 7–12 doi:10.1109/PVSC.2000.915742 (2000) et al.
- White organic light-emitting diodes with fluorescent tube efficiency. Nature 459, 234–238 (2009) et al.
- Improved performances of organic light-emitting diodes with metal oxide as anode buffer. J. Appl. Phys. 101, 026105 (2007) , , &
- Efficient organic tandem solar cells based on small molecules. Adv. Funct. Mater. 21, 3019–3028 (2011) et al.
- Modeling low cost hybrid tandem photovoltaics with the potential for efficiencies exceeding 20%. Energy Environ. Sci. 5, 9173–9179 (2012) &
Extended data figures and tables
Extended Data Figures
- Extended Data Figure 1: Top-view SEM images for the vapour-deposited perovskite films. (166 KB)
a, As-deposited perovskite film; b, post-annealed perovskite film.