Cryptophyte and chlorarachniophyte algae are transitional forms in the widespread secondary endosymbiotic acquisition of photosynthesis by engulfment of eukaryotic algae. Unlike most secondary plastid-bearing algae, miniaturized versions of the endosymbiont nuclei (nucleomorphs) persist in cryptophytes and chlorarachniophytes. To determine why, and to address other fundamental questions about eukaryote–eukaryote endosymbiosis, we sequenced the nuclear genomes of the cryptophyte Guillardia theta and the chlorarachniophyte Bigelowiella natans. Both genomes have >21,000 protein genes and are intron rich, and B. natans exhibits unprecedented alternative splicing for a single-celled organism. Phylogenomic analyses and subcellular targeting predictions reveal extensive genetic and biochemical mosaicism, with both host- and endosymbiont-derived genes servicing the mitochondrion, the host cell cytosol, the plastid and the remnant endosymbiont cytosol of both algae. Mitochondrion-to-nucleus gene transfer still occurs in both organisms but plastid-to-nucleus and nucleomorph-to-nucleus transfers do not, which explains why a small residue of essential genes remains locked in each nucleomorph.
At a glance
- Plastid evolution. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 59, 491–517 (2008) , &
- The endosymbiont hypothesis revisited. Int. Rev. Cytol. 141, 233–357 (1992)
- The symbiotic birth and spread of plastids: how many times and whodunnit? J. Phycol. 39, 4–11 (2003)
- A molecular timeline for the origin of photosynthetic eukaryotes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21, 809–818 (2004) , , , &
- The Phaeodactylum genome reveals the evolutionary history of diatom genomes. Nature 456, 239–244 (2008) et al.
- The genome of the diatom Thalassiosira pseudonana: ecology, evolution, and metabolism. Science 306, 79–86 (2004) et al.
- The Ectocarpus genome and the independent evolution of multicellularity in brown algae. Nature 465, 617–621 (2010) et al.
- A comprehensive evolutionary classification of proteins encoded in complete eukaryotic genomes. Genome Biol. 5, R7 (2004) et al.
- CEGMA: a pipeline to accurately annotate core genes in eukaryotic genomes. Bioinformatics 23, 1061–1067 (2007) , &
- Alternative splicing of RNA triplets is often regulated and accelerates proteome evolution. PLoS Biol. 10, e1001229 (2012) , , &
- Widespread evolutionary conservation of alternatively spliced exons in Caenorhabditis. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25, 375–382 (2008) et al.
- How prevalent is functional alternative splicing in the human genome? Trends Genet. 20, 68–71 (2004) , &
- Cryptic peroxisomal targeting via alternative splicing and stop codon read-through in fungi. Nature 485, 522–525 (2012) , &
- Complete nucleomorph genome sequence of the nonphotosynthetic alga Cryptomonas paramecium reveals a core nucleomorph gene set. Genome Biol. Evol. 3, 44–54 (2011) et al.
- Complete nucleotide sequence of the chlorarachniophyte nucleomorph: nature's smallest nucleus. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103, 9566–9571 (2006) et al.
- Nucleomorph genome of Hemiselmis andersenii reveals complete intron loss and compaction as a driver of protein structure and function. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104, 19908–19913 (2007) et al.
- The highly reduced genome of an enslaved algal nucleus. Nature 410, 1091–1096 (2001) et al.
- Nucleus-to-nucleus gene transfer and protein retargeting into a remnant cytoplasm of cryptophytes and diatoms. Mol. Biol. Evol. 23, 2413–2422 (2006) et al.
- Nucleus-encoded periplastid-targeted EFL in chlorarachniophytes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 25, 1967–1977 (2008) &
- Nucleus- and nucleomorph-targeted histone proteins in a chlorarachniophyte alga. Mol. Microbiol. 80, 1439–1449 (2011) , &
- In silico and in vivo investigations of the proteins of a minimized eukaryotic cytoplasm. Genome Biol. Evol. 3, 375–382 (2011) , , &
- The plastid genome of the cryptophyte alga, Guillardia theta: complete sequence and conserved synteny groups confirm its common ancestry with red algae. J. Mol. Evol. 48, 236–244 (1999) &
- The complete chloroplast genome of the chlorarachniophyte Bigelowiella natans: evidence for independent origins of chlorarachniophyte and euglenid secondary endosymbionts. Mol. Biol. Evol. 24, 54–62 (2007) , , , &
- Gene transfer from organelles to the nucleus: how much, what happens, and why? Plant Physiol. 118, 9–17 (1998) &
- Nature of the periplastidial pathway of starch synthesis in the cryptophyte Guillardia theta. Eukaryot. Cell 5, 954–963 (2006) et al.
- Preliminary characterization of carbohydrate stores from chlorarachniophytes (Division: Chlorarachniophyta). Phycol. Res. 45, 145–151 (1997) , &
- Characterization of periplastidal compartment-targeting signals in chlorarachniophytes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 27, 1538–1545 (2010) , , , &
- Evidence for a chimeric nature of nuclear genomes: eubacterial origin of eukaryotic glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase genes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 90, 8692–8696 (1993) , , &
- Endosymbiotic gene transfer: organelle genomes forge eukaryotic chromosomes. Nature Rev. Genet. 5, 123–135 (2004) , , &
- Are algal genes in nonphotosynthetic protists evidence of historical plastid endosymbioses? BMC Genomics 10, 484 (2009) , , , &
- Red and problematic green phylogenetic signals among thousands of nuclear genes from the photosynthetic and apicomplexa-related Chromera velia. Genome Biol. Evol. 3, 1220–1230 (2011) , , &
- Genomic footprints of a cryptic plastid endosymbiosis in diatoms. Science 324, 1724–1726 (2009) et al.
- Reevaluating the green contribution to diatom genomes. Genome Biol. Evol. 4, 683–688 (2012) &
- Re-evaluating the green versus red signal in eukaryotes with secondary plastid of red algal origin. Genome Biol. Evol. 4, 738–747 (2012) et al.
- Lateral gene transfer and the evolution of plastid-targeted proteins in the secondary plastid-containing alga Bigelowiella natans. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 7678–7683 (2003) , , , &
- The evolutionary history of haptophytes and cryptophytes: phylogenomic evidence for separate origins. Proc. R. Soc. B 279, 2246–2254 (2012) , , &
- NUMTs in sequenced eukaryotic genomes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21, 1081–1084 (2004) &
- NUPTs in sequenced eukaryotes and their genomic organization in relation to NUMTs. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21, 1972–1980 (2004) &
- Evolution of mitochondrial gene content: gene loss and transfer to the nucleus. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 29, 380–395 (2003) &
- Experimental reconstruction of functional gene transfer from the tobacco plastid genome to the nucleus. Plant Cell 18, 2869–2878 (2006) &
- Continued colonization of the human genome by mitochondrial DNA. PLoS Biol. 2, e273 (2004) , &
- Nuclear insertions of organellar DNA can create novel patches of functional exon sequences. Trends Genet. 23, 597–601 (2007) , , , &
- A spliceosomal intron of mitochondrial DNA origin. Curr. Biol. 20, R919–R920 (2010) &
- Why are plastid genomes retained in non-photosynthetic organisms? Trends Plant Sci. 11, 101–108 (2006) , &
- Correlation between nuclear plastid DNA abundance and plastid number supports the limited transfer window hypothesis. Genome Biol. Evol. 3, 365–371 (2011) , &
- Proteomonas sulcata gen. et sp. nov. (Cryptophyceae), a cryptomonad with two morphologically distinct and alternating forms. Phycologia 25, 521–543 (1986) &
- Cytology and ultrastructure of Chlorarachnion reptans (Chlorarachniophyta divisio nova, Chlorarachniophyceae classis nova). J. Phycol. 20, 310–330 (1984) &
- 715–755 (Elsevier Science, 2003) & in Freshwater Algae of North America
- Gymnochlora dimorpha sp. nov., a new chlorarachniophyte with unique daughter cell behavior. Phycologia 50, 317–326 (2011) , &
- Gene transfer to the nucleus and the evolution of chloroplasts. Nature 393, 162–165 (1998) et al.
- Supplementary Information (10.2M)
This file contains Supplementary Methods, Data and Analyses for the Guillardia theta and Bigelowiella natans nuclear genome sequences. Supplementary References, 35 Supplementary Figures and 24 Supplementary Tables are also included (see Table of Contents for more details).
- Supplementary Table S126.96.36.199.1 (79K)
This file contains datasets used for support vector machine prediction of PPC proteins in Bigelowiella natans and Guillardia theta.
- Supplementary Table S188.8.131.52.2 (22K)
This file contains dataset sizes used for support vector machine prediction of PPC proteins in Bigelowiella natans and Guillardia theta.
- Supplementary Table S1.12.1 (107K)
This file contains a list of taxa used in phylogenomic analyses of the nuclear genomes of Bigelowiella natans and Guillardia theta.
- Supplementary Table S2.3.3 (56K)
This file contains proteins identified in the search for putative carbohydrate-active enzymes in Guillardia theta.
- Supplementary Table S2.3.4 (50K)
This file contains proteins identified in the search for putative carbohydrate-active enzymes in Bigelowiella natans.
- Supplementary Table S184.108.40.206 (27K)
This file contains a list of proteins possibly involved in the ER-localized synthesis of N-glycanes in Guillardia theta and Bigelowiella natans.