The act of measurement bridges the quantum and classical worlds by projecting a superposition of possible states into a single (probabilistic) outcome. The timescale of this ‘instantaneous’ process can be stretched using weak measurements1, 2, such that it takes the form of a gradual random walk towards a final state. Remarkably, the interim measurement record is sufficient to continuously track and steer the quantum state using feedback3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Here we implement quantum feedback control in a solid-state system, namely a superconducting quantum bit (qubit) coupled to a microwave cavity9. A weak measurement of the qubit is implemented by probing the cavity with microwave photons, maintaining its average occupation at less than one photon. These photons are then directed to a high-bandwidth, quantum-noise-limited amplifier10, 11, which allows real-time monitoring of the state of the cavity (and, hence, that of the qubit) with high fidelity. We demonstrate quantum feedback control by inhibiting the decay of Rabi oscillations, allowing them to persist indefinitely12. Such an ability permits the active suppression of decoherence and enables a method of quantum error correction based on weak continuous measurements13, 14. Other applications include quantum state stabilization4, 7, 15, entanglement generation using measurement16, state purification17 and adaptive measurements18, 19.
At a glance
- 2009) & Quantum Measurement and Control (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- 2004) & Quantum Noise (Springer,
- Quantum theory of optical feedback via homodyne detection. Phys. Rev. Lett. 70, 548–551 (1993) &
- Quantum control of atomic systems by homodyne detection and feedback. Phys. Rev. A 57, 4877–4888 (1998) , &
- Selective quantum evolution of a qubit state due to continuous measurement. Phys. Rev. B 63, 115403 (2001)
- Capture and release of a conditional state of a cavity QED system by quantum feedback. Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 133601 (2002) , , , &
- Experimental feedback control of quantum systems using weak measurements. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 080503 (2010) et al.
- Real-time quantum feedback prepares and stabilizes photon number states. Nature 477, 73–77 (2011) et al.
- Cavity quantum electrodynamics for superconducting electrical circuits: an architecture for quantum computation. Phys. Rev. A 69, 062320 (2004) , , , &
- Dispersive magnetometry with a quantum limited SQUID parametric amplifier. Phys. Rev. B 83, 134501 (2011) , , , &
- Observation of quantum jumps in a superconducting artificial atom. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 110502 (2011) , &
- Quantum feedback control of a solid-state qubit. Phys. Rev. B 66, 041401 (2002) &
- Phys. Rev. A 65, 042301, 2002. , & Continuous quantum error correction via quantum feedback control.
- High-fidelity feedback-assisted parity measurement in circuit QED. Phys. Rev. A 82, 012329 (2010) &
- Feedback-stabilization of an arbitrary pure state of a two-level atom. Phys. Rev. A 64, 063810 (2001) &
- Entanglement of solid-state qubits by measurement. Phys. Rev. B 67, 241305 (2003) &
- Rapid state reduction of quantum systems using feedback control. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 010504 (2006) &
- Feedback control for communication with non-orthogonal states. Quantum Inf. Comput. 7, 127–138 (2007)
- Optical coherent state discrimination using a closed-loop quantum measurement. Nature 446, 774–777 (2007) , &
- The present situation in quantum mechanics. Proc. Am. Phil. Soc. 124, 323–338 (1980)
- Introduction to quantum noise, measurement, and amplification. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 1155–1208 (2010) , , , &
- Observation of high coherence in Josephson junction qubits measured in a three-dimensional circuit QED architecture. Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 240501 (2011) et al.
- Charge-insensitive qubit design derived from the Cooper pair box. Phys. Rev. A 76, 042319 (2007) et al.
- Approaching unit visibility for control of a superconducting qubit with dispersive readout. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 060501 (2005) et al.
- ac Stark shift and dephasing of a superconducting qubit strongly coupled to a cavity field. Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 123602 (2005) et al.
- Experimental violation of a Bell’s inequality in time with weak measurement. Nature Phys. 6, 442–447 (2010) et al.
- Continuous weak measurement of quantum coherent oscillations. Phys. Rev. B 64, 165310 (2001) &
- State tomography of capacitively shunted phase qubits with high fidelity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 050502 (2006) et al.
- Measurement-induced qubit state mixing in circuit QED from upconverted dephasing noise. Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/1206.6946 (2012) et al.
- Supplementary Information (293K)
This file contains Supplementary Text and Data, Supplementary Figures 1-3 and Supplementary References.