Understanding exotic forms of magnetism in quantum mechanical systems is a central goal of modern condensed matter physics, with implications for systems ranging from high-temperature superconductors to spintronic devices. Simulating magnetic materials in the vicinity of a quantum phase transition is computationally intractable on classical computers, owing to the extreme complexity arising from quantum entanglement between the constituent magnetic spins. Here we use a degenerate Bose gas of rubidium atoms confined in an optical lattice to simulate a chain of interacting quantum Ising spins as they undergo a phase transition. Strong spin interactions are achieved through a site-occupation to pseudo-spin mapping. As we vary a magnetic field, quantum fluctuations drive a phase transition from a paramagnetic phase into an antiferromagnetic phase. In the paramagnetic phase, the interaction between the spins is overwhelmed by the applied field, which aligns the spins. In the antiferromagnetic phase, the interaction dominates and produces staggered magnetic ordering. Magnetic domain formation is observed through both in situ site-resolved imaging and noise correlation measurements. By demonstrating a route to quantum magnetism in an optical lattice, this work should facilitate further investigations of magnetic models using ultracold atoms, thereby improving our understanding of real magnetic materials.
At a glance
- Spin liquids in frustrated magnets. Nature 464, 199–208 (2010)
- Spin glasses: experimental facts, theoretical concepts, and open questions. Rev. Mod. Phys. 58, 801–976 (1986) &
- Anyons in an exactly solved model and beyond. Ann. Phys. 321, 2–111 (2006)
- 2001) Quantum Phase Transitions (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- The resonating valence bond state in La2CuO4 and superconductivity. Science 235, 1196–1198 (1987)
- Quantum magnets under pressure: controlling elementary excitations in TlCuCl3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 205701 (2008) et al.
- Quantum criticality in an Ising chain: experimental evidence for emergent E8 symmetry. Science 327, 177–180 (2010) et al.
- Ultracold atomic gases in optical lattices: mimicking condensed matter physics and beyond. Adv. Phys. 56, 243–379 (2007) et al.
- Many-body physics with ultracold gases. Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 885–964 (2008) , &
- Quantum phase transition from a superfluid to a Mott insulator in a gas of ultracold atoms. Nature 415, 39–44 (2002) , , , &
- Quantum magnetism and criticality. Nature Phys. 4, 173–185 (2008)
- Exploring quantum criticality based on ultracold atoms in optical lattices. Preprint at http://arXiv.org/abs/1101.0284 (2010) , , , &
- Observation of scale invariance and universality in two-dimensional Bose gases. Nature 470, 236–239 (2011) , , &
- A quantum gas microscope for detecting single atoms in a Hubbard-regime optical lattice. Nature 462, 74–77 (2009) , , , &
- Probing the superfluid-to-Mott insulator transition at the single-atom level. Science 329, 547–550 (2010) et al.
- Single-atom-resolved fluorescence imaging of an atomic Mott insulator. Nature 467, 68–72 (2010) et al.
- Single-spin addressing in an atomic Mott insulator. Nature 471, 319–324 (2011) et al.
- Itinerant ferromagnetism in a Fermi gas of ultracold atoms. Science 325, 1521–1524 (2009) et al.
- Simulating a quantum magnet with trapped ions. Nature Phys. 4, 757–761 (2008) , , , &
- Quantum simulation of frustrated Ising spins with trapped ions. Nature 465, 590–593 (2010) et al.
- A high phase-space-density gas of polar molecules. Science 322, 231–235 (2008) et al.
- Quantum information with Rydberg atoms. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 2313–2363 (2010) &
- Dipole blockade and quantum information processing in mesoscopic atomic ensembles. Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 037901 (2001) et al.
- Strongly correlated 2D quantum phases with cold polar molecules: controlling the shape of the interaction potential. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 060404 (2007) et al.
- A Rydberg quantum simulator. Nature Phys. 6, 382–388 (2010) , &
- Sublattice addressing and spin-dependent motion of atoms in a double-well lattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 020402 (2007) et al.
- Multi-component quantum gases in spin-dependent hexagonal lattices. Nature Phys. advance online publication. doi:10.1038/nphys1916 (13 February 2011) et al.
- Direct observation of second-order atom tunnelling. Nature 448, 1029–1032 (2007) et al.
- Boson localization and the superfluid-insulator transition. Phys. Rev. B 40, 546–570 (1989) , , &
- Cold bosonic atoms in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3108–3111 (1998) , , , &
- Mott insulators in strong electric fields. Phys. Rev. B 66, 075128 (2002) , &
- Controlling spin exchange interactions of ultracold atoms in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 090402 (2003) , &
- Time-resolved observation and control of superexchange interactions with ultracold atoms in optical lattices. Science 319, 295–299 (2008) et al.
- Critical entropies for magnetic ordering in bosonic mixtures on a lattice. Phys. Rev. A 81, 053622 (2010) , , &
- Spin gradient thermometry for ultracold atoms in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 245301 (2009) et al.
- Spin gradient demagnetization cooling of ultracold atoms. Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/1006.4674 (2010) , , , &
- Cooling in strongly correlated optical lattices: prospects and challenges. Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.0198 (2010) &
- Implementation of spin Hamiltonians in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 250405 (2004) , &
- Zero temperature phase diagram for the d = 1 quantum Ising antiferromagnet. J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 54-57, 685–686 (1986) &
- Antiferromagnetic Ising chain in a mixed transverse and longitudinal magnetic field. Phys. Rev. B 68, 214406 (2003) , , &
- Random-field instability of the ordered state of continuous symmetry. Phys. Rev. Lett. 35, 1399–1401 (1975) &
- Dynamics of a quantum phase transition in the random Ising model: logarithmic dependence of the defect density on the transition rate. Phys. Rev. B 74, 064416 (2006)
- Entanglement in quantum critical phenomena. Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 227902 (2003) , , &
- Probing many-body states of ultracold atoms via noise correlations. Phys. Rev. A 70, 013603 (2004) , &
- Spatial quantum noise interferometry in expanding ultracold atom clouds. Nature 434, 481–484 (2005) et al.
- Adiabatic preparation of many-body states in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. A 81, 061603 (2010) et al.
- Strong and weak thermalization of infinite nonintegrable quantum systems. Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 050405 (2011) , &
- Effective spin model for interband transport in a Wannier-Stark lattice system. Eur. Phys. J. D doi:10.1140/epjd/e2010-10554-7 (2010) , &
- Correlated phases of bosons in tilted, frustrated lattices. Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.2897 (2010) , , &
- Supplementary Information (547K)
The file contains Supplementary Discussions, Supplementary Table 1, Supplementary Figures 1-3 with legends and additional references.