The reliable detection of single quantum particles has revolutionized the field of quantum optics and quantum information processing. For several years, researchers have aspired to extend such detection possibilities to larger-scale, strongly correlated quantum systems1, 2 in order to record in situ images of a quantum fluid in which each underlying quantum particle is detected. Here we report fluorescence imaging of strongly interacting bosonic Mott insulators in an optical lattice with single-atom and single-site resolution. From our images, we fully reconstruct the atom distribution on the lattice and identify individual excitations with high fidelity. A comparison of the radial density and variance distributions with theory provides a precise in situ temperature and entropy measurement from single images. We observe Mott-insulating plateaus with near-zero entropy and clearly resolve the high-entropy rings separating them, even though their width is of the order of just a single lattice site. Furthermore, we show how a Mott insulator melts with increasing temperature, owing to a proliferation of local defects. The ability to resolve individual lattice sites directly opens up new avenues for the manipulation, analysis and applications of strongly interacting quantum gases on a lattice. For example, one could introduce local perturbations or access regions of high entropy, a crucial requirement for the implementation of novel cooling schemes3.
At a glance
- The cold atoms Hubbard toolbox. Ann. Phys. 315, 52–79 (2005) &
- Many-body physics with ultracold gases. Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 885–964 (2008) , &
- Cooling fermionic atoms in optical lattices by shaping the confinement. Phys. Rev. A 79, 061601(R) (2009) et al.
- Boson localization and the superfluid-insulator transition. Phys. Rev. B 40, 546–570 (1989) , , &
- Cold bosonic atoms in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3108–3111 (1998) , , , &
- Quantum phase transition from a superfluid to a Mott insulator in a gas of ultracold atoms. Nature 415, 39–44 (2002) , , , &
- Mott-insulator transition in a two-dimensional atomic Bose gas. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 080404 (2007) , &
- Tonks-Girardeau gas of ultracold atoms in an optical lattice. Nature 429, 277–281 (2004) et al.
- Observation of a one-dimensional Tonks-Girardeau gas. Science 305, 1125–1128 (2004) , &
- A Mott insulator of fermionic atoms in an optical lattice. Nature 455, 204–207 (2008) , , , &
- Metallic and insulating phases of repulsively interacting fermions in a 3D optical lattice. Science 322, 1520–1525 (2008) et al.
- Probing number squeezing of ultracold atoms across the superfluid-Mott insulator transition. Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 090401 (2006) , , , &
- One-way quantum computer. Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 5188–5191 (2001) &
- Imaging single atoms in a three-dimensional array. Nature Phys. 3, 556–560 (2007) , &
- High-resolution scanning electron microscopy of an ultracold quantum gas. Nature Phys. 4, 949–953 (2008) , , , &
- In situ observation of incompressible Mott-insulating domains in ultracold atomic gases. Nature 460, 995–998 (2009) , , &
- Nearest-neighbor detection of atoms in a 1D optical lattice by fluorescence imaging. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 053001 (2009) et al.
- A quantum gas microscope for detecting single atoms in a Hubbard-regime optical lattice. Nature 462, 74–77 (2009) , , , &
- Probing the superfluid-to-Mott insulator-transition at the single-atom level. Science 329, 547–550 (2010) et al.
- Boson Mott insulators at finite temperatures. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 120405 (2007)
- Intrinsic heating and cooling in adiabatic processes for bosons in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 120404 (2007) &
- Unity occupation of sites in a 3D optical lattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 82, 2262–2265 (1999) , , , &
- Mott and superfluid transitions in a strongly interacting lattice boson system. Europhys. Lett. 14, 627–632 (1991) &
- State diagrams for harmonically trapped bosons in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. A 79, 053605 (2009) , , &
- Formation of spatial shell structure in the superfluid to Mott insulator transition. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 060403 (2006) , , , &
- Imaging the Mott insulator shells by using atomic clock shifts. Science 313, 649–652 (2006) et al.
- Slow mass transport and statistical evolution of an atomic gas across the superfluid-Mott-insulator transition. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 160403 (2010) , , &
- Critical entropies for magnetic ordering in bosonic mixtures on a lattice. Phys. Rev. A 81, 053622 (2010) , , &
- Manipulation of single neutral atoms in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. A 74, 042316 (2006) , &
- Accelerating evaporative cooling of atoms into Bose-Einstein condensation in optical traps. Phys. Rev. A 78, 011604 (2008) , , &
- Supplementary Information (163K)
This file contains Supplementary Notes 1-3 and Supplementary Figures 1-2 with legends.