China is the world’s most populous country and a major emitter of greenhouse gases. Consequently, much research has focused on China’s influence on climate change but somewhat less has been written about the impact of climate change on China. China experienced explosive economic growth in recent decades, but with only 7% of the world’s arable land available to feed 22% of the world’s population, China's economy may be vulnerable to climate change itself. We find, however, that notwithstanding the clear warming that has occurred in China in recent decades, current understanding does not allow a clear assessment of the impact of anthropogenic climate change on China’s water resources and agriculture and therefore China’s ability to feed its people. To reach a more definitive conclusion, future work must improve regional climate simulations—especially of precipitation—and develop a better understanding of the managed and unmanaged responses of crops to changes in climate, diseases, pests and atmospheric constituents.
At a glance
- Global Climate Projections. In Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (eds Solomon, S. et al.) (Cambridge University Press, 2007) et al.
- Editorial board. China’s National Assessment of Report on Climate Change (Science Press, 2007)
- The 1998 flood on the Yangtze, China. Nat. Hazards 22, 165–184 (2000) &
- Detection, causes and projection of climate change over China: an overview of recent progress. Adv. Atmos. Sci. 24, 954–971 (2007) et al.
- Climatology and trends of high temperature extremes across China in summer. Atmos. Ocean. Sci. Lett. 2, 153–158 (2009) &
- A preliminary reconstruction of mean surface air temperature over the last 1000 years in China. [in Chinese] Clim . Environ. Res. 10, 826–836 (2005) , , &
- Nakićenović N., Swart R., eds. Special Report on Emissions Scenarios. A Special Report of Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (Cambridge University Press, 2000)
- Cyclicity analysis of precipitation regimes in the Yangtze River basin, China. Int. J. Climatol. 28, 579–588 (2008) , , , &
- 398–454 [in Chinese] (Science Press, 2005) & in Changes of Climate and Environment in China Vol. 1 (eds Qin, D. H. et al.)
- Inter-decadal variation of the summer precipitation in East China and its association with decreasing Asian summer monsoon. Part I: Observed evidence. Int. J. Climatol. 28, 1139–1161 (2008) , &
- Mears, C. How much more rain will global warming bring? Science 317, 233–235 (2007) , & &.
- Reduction of future monsoon precipitation over China: comparison between a high resolution RCM simulation and the driving GCM. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 100, 73–86 (2008)
There is large uncertainty in the projection of future precipitation change.
- Trends in total precipitation and frequency of daily precipitation extremes over China. J. Clim. 18, 1096–1108 (2005) , , &
- Spatial and temporal variation of extreme precipitation over the Yangtze River Basin. Quat . Int. 186 doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2007.09.001 (2008) , &
- Changes in extreme daily mean temperatures in summer in eastern China during 1955–2000. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 77, 25–37 (2004) , &
- Trends in temperature extremes during 1951–1999 in China. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30 doi: 10.1029/2003GL018004 (2003) &
- A future climate scenario of regional changes in extreme climate events over China using the PRECIS climate model. Geophys. Res. Lett. 33 doi:10.1029/2006GL027229 (2006) , , , &
- Climatic type division and the potential extent determination of desertification in China. [in Chinese] J . Desert Res. 17, 107–111 (1997) &
- Changes of temperature and precipitation and their effects on drought in China during 1951–2003. [in Chinese] Adv . Clim. Change Res. 1, 16–18 (2005) &
- A global dataset of Palmer Drought Severity Index for 1870–2002: relationship with soil moisture and effects of surface warming. J. Hydrometeorol. 5, 1117–1130 (2004) , &
- Spatial variation and trends in PDSI and SPI indices and their relation to streamflow in ten large regions of China. J. Clim. 23, 649–663 (2010) et al.
- Recent and future climate change in northwest China. Clim. Change 80, 379–393 (2007) et al.
- Agricultural drought in a future climate: results from 15 global climate models participating in the IPCC 4th Assessment. Clim. Dyn. 25, 739–753 (2005)
- Patterns of dryness/wetness in China before 2050 projected by the ECHAM5 model. [in Chinese] Adv . Clim. Change Res. 5, 220–225 (2009) , , &
- Land-atmosphere coupling and climate change in Europe. Nature 443, 205–209 (2006) , , &
- Twentieth-century droughts and their impacts on terrestrial carbon cycling in China. Earth Interact. 13, 1–31 (2009) et al.
- Zhang J. Y., et al., eds. The Impacts of Climate Change on Hydrology and Water Resources 138–181 [in Chinese] (Science Press, 2007)
- Agricultural irrigation demand under present and future climate scenarios in China. Global Planet. Change 60, 306–326 (2008)
- The Ministry of Water Resources of the People’s Republic of China. The Bulletin of Water Resources of China [in Chinese]. (2007)
- Analysis of present situation of water resources and countermeasures for sustainable development in China. [in Chinese]. J Water Resour. 19, 10–14 (2008) , , &
- Variation of precipitation and runoff in the Yangtze River catchments since 1960. In Climate Change and Yangtze Floods (eds Jiang, T. et al.) [in Chinese] (Science Press, 2004) , &
- Trends and abruption analysis on the discharge in the Yangtze Basin. [in Chinese] Resour . Environ. 14, 589–594 (2005) , &
- Spatial and temporal variation of runoff in the Yangtze River basin during the past 40 years. Quat. Int. 186, 32–42 (2008) et al.
- Temporal and spatial trends of precipitation and river flow in the Yangtze River Basin, 1961–2000. Geomorphology 85, 143–154 (2007) , &
- [in Chinese]. Climate Change and China’s Water Resources (Meteorological Press, 2007)
- Historical regular patterns of the discharge in the Yellow River and the cause of their formation. Chin. J. Geophys. [in Chinese]. 48, 1270–1275 (2005)
- Impact on water resources in Yellow River with climate change. [in Chinese] J . Water Resour. 17, 74–77 (2006) , , &
- Variability of water resource in the Yellow River basin of past 50 years, China. Water Resour. Manage. 23, 1157–1170 (2009) , &
- Hydro-climatic trends of the Yellow River Basin for the last 50 years. Clim. Change 65, 149–178 (2004)
The observed decrease in Yellow River runoff reflects both climate change impacts and human withdrawals.
, , &
- 190–205 [in Chinese] (Science Press, 2000) et al. in Glaciers and Their Environments in China—The Present, Past and Future (eds Shi, Y. F. et al.)
- Cryospheric change in China. Global Planet. Change 62, 210–218 (2008) et al.
- Glaciers in response to recent climate warming in western China. [in Chinese] Quat . Sci. 26, 762–771 (2006) , , , &
- The retreat glaciers in response to recent climate warming in western China. Ann. Glaciol. 43, 97–105 (2006)
Most of the glaciers in western China are in a state of retreat.
, , &
- Recent glacial retreat and its impact on hydrological processes on the Tibetan Plateau, China, and surrounding regions. Arct. Antarct. Alp. Res. 39, 642–650 (2007)
Current glacial retreat greatly affects water resources on the Qinghai–Xizang plateau.
, , , &
- Changes of climate, glaciers and runoff in China’s monsoonal temperate glacier region during the last several decades. Quat. Int. 218 doi: 10.1016/j.quaint.2009.05.010 (2010) et al.
- Temperature variation through 2000 years in China: an uncertainty analysis of reconstruction and regional difference. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37 doi: 10.1029/2009GL041281 (2010) et al.
- Response of “glacier-runoff” system in a typical monsoonal temperate glacier region, Hailuogou basin in Mt Gongga of China, to global warming. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. 4, 3395–3412 (2007) et al.
- Quick ice mass loss and abrupt retreat of the maritime glacier in the Kangri Karpo Mountains, southeast Tibetan Plateau. Chin. Sci. Bull. 53, 2547–2551 (2008) et al.
- Response of glacier melting to climate change—take Urumqi glacier no.1 as an example. [in Chinese]. J Glaciol. Geocryol. 29, 333–341 (2007) et al.
- Eco-hydrological responses on water transportation in the lower reaches of the Tarim River, China. Wat. Resour. Res. 44 doi: 10.1029/2007WR006186 (2008) , , &
- Glacier mass balance change in Tailanhe River watersheds on the south slope of the Tianshan Mountains and its impact on water resources. [in Chinese] J . Glaciol. Geocryol. 25, 124–129 (2003) , , &
- Response of glacier flash flood to global warming in Tarim River Basin. [in Chinese] Adv . Clim. Change Res. 2, 32–35 (2006) , , , &
- Impacts of climate change and human activities on the surface runoff in the Tarim River Basin over the last fifty years. Water Resour. Manage. 22, 1159–1171 (2008) , , &
- Potential effects of climate change on runoff in the Yellow River Basin of China. Trans. Am. Soc. Agric. Biol. Eng. 50, 911–918 (2007) , , , &
- Climate change and global water resources: SRES scenarios and socio-economic scenarios. Glob. Environ. Change 14, 31–52 (2004)
- China’s National Assessment Report on Climate Change (II): climate change impacts and adaptation. Adv. Clim. Change Res. 3 (Suppl.). 6–11 (2007) , , , &
- Potential impacts of a warming climate on water availability in snow-dominated regions. Nature 438, 303–309 (2005) , &
- Estimation of glacier runoff and future trends in the Yangtze River source region, China. J. Glaciol. 55, 353–362 (2009) , , &
- Impact of global warming on water resource in arid area of northwest China. J. Mount. . Sci. 2, 313–318 (2005) , , , &
- Estimation of the water resources affected by climatic warming and glacier shrinkage before 2050 in west China. [in Chinese]. J Glaciol. Geocryol. 23, 333–339 (2001)
- Estimation of the response of glaciers in China to the global warming in the 21st century. Chin. Sci. Bull. 45, 668–672 (2000) &
- Glacier runoff in China: an evaluation and prediction for the future 50 years. [in Chinese] J . Glaciol. Geocryol. 28, 457–466 (2006) et al.
- [in Chinese] (Science Press, 2005) , & Climate and Environment Changes in China (II): Measures to Adapt and Mitigate the Effects of Climate and Environment Changes
- National Bureau of Statistics of China. China Statistical Year Book 2009, 38–89 [in Chinese] (China Statistics Press, 2009)
- Climatic changes in yield index and soil water deficit trends in China. Agric. For. Meteorol. 102, 71–81 (2000)
- Climate-crop yield relationships at provincial scales in China and the impacts of recent climate trends. Clim. Res. 38, 83–94 (2008) , , &
- Impact of growing season temperature on wheat productivity in China. Agric. For. Meteorol. 149, 1009–1014 (2009) , , &
- The impact of climate change on China's agriculture. Agric. Econ. 40, 323–337 (2009)
Global warming is likely to be harmful to rainfed farms but beneficial to irrigated farms.
- Variations in satellite-derived phenology in China's temperate vegetation. Glob. Change Biol. 12, 672–685 (2006) , , , &
- Phenological trends in winter wheat and spring cotton in response to climate changes in northwest China. Agric. For. Meteorol. 148, 1242–1251 (2008) et al.
- Regional trends in recent temperature indices in China. Clim. Res. 27, 119–134 (2004) &
- Rural Socio-Economic Survey Organization. National Bureau of Statistics of China Agricultural Statistics from 1978 to 2007 [in Chinese] (China Statistics Press, 2009)
- Net primary production of Chinese croplands from 1950 to 1999. Ecol. Appl. 17, 692–701 (2007) , , &
- Wheat cropping systems and technologies in China. Field Crops Res. 111, 181–188 (2009) et al.
- Genetic improvement of grain yield and associated traits in the northern China winter wheat region from 1960 to 2000. Crop Sci. 47, 245–253 (2007) et al.
- Contributions of climatic and crop varietal changes to crop production in the North China Plain, since the 1980s. Glob. Change Biol. doi: 10.1111/j.1365–2486.2009.02077.x (2009) , , &
- Long-term climate change impacts on agricultural productivity in eastern China. Agric. For. Meteorol. 149 doi: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2009.02.001 (2009) , , &
- Future cereal production in China: modelling the interaction of climate change, water availability and socio-economic scenarios. In The Impacts of Climate Change on Chinese Agriculture—Phase II Final Report (AEA Group, 2008) et al.
- National level study: the impacts of climate change on cereal production in China. In The Impacts of Climate Change on Chinese Agriculture—Phase II Final Report (AEA Group, 2008) et al.
- Global warming, rice production, and water use in China: developing a probabilistic assessment. Agric. For. Meteorol. 148, 94–110 (2008) , , , &
- Yield responses of southern US rice cultivars to CO2 and temperature. Agric. For. Meteorol. 122, 129–137 (2004)
- Effects of elevated CO2 concentration, irrigation and nitrogenous fertilizer application on the growth and yield of spring wheat in semi-arid areas. Agric. Water Manage. 87, 106–114 (2007) , , &
- Three-year field evaluation of early and late 20th century spring wheat cultivars to projected increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide. Field Crops Res. 108, 54–59 (2008)
- Enhancement of rice canopy carbon gain by elevated CO2 is sensitive to growth stage and leaf nitrogen concentration. New Phytol. 170, 321–332 (2006) , &
- Modeling the interactive effects of atmospheric CO2 and N on rice growth and yield. Field Crops Res. 93, 237–251 (2005) et al.
- Responses of rice and winter wheat to free-air CO2 enrichment (China FACE) at rice/wheat rotation system. Plant Soil 294, 137–146 (2007) et al.
- Climate change impacts on crop yield and quality with CO2 fertilization in China. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 360, 2149–2154 (2005) et al.
- Agroecosystem responses to combinations of elevated CO2, ozone, and global climate change. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 97, 1–20 (2003)
- Global food insecurity. Treatment of major food crops with elevated carbon dioxide or ozone under large-scale fully open-air conditions suggests recent models may have overestimated future yields. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 360, 2011–2020 (2005) , , &
- Characterizing distributions of surface ozone and its impact on grain production in China, Japan and South Korea: 1990 and 2020. Atmos. Environ. 38, 4383–4402 (2004) &
- Climate change, water availability and future cereal production in China. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ. 135, 58–69 (2010) et al.
- National. Development and Reform Commission. China’s National Climate Change Program. http://www.ccchina.gov.cn/WebSite/CCChina/UpFile/File188.pdf (2007)
- Ministry of Water Resources. China’s Water Agenda 21 (China Water and Power Press, 1998)
- Implementing China’s “Water Agenda 21”. Front. Ecol. Environ 4, 362–368 (2006) &
- State Council Information Office. China’s Policies and Actions on Climate Change http://www.china.org.cn/government/news/200810/29/content_16681689.htm (2008)
- Plant biotechnology in China. Science 295, 674–677 (2002) , , &
- Irreversible climate change due to carbon dioxide emissions. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106, 1704–1709 (2009) , , &
- Progress in glacier variations in China and its sensitivity to climatic change during the past century. [in Chinese] Prog . Geogr. 28, 231–237 (2009) , , &
- Chen S. D., Hu B. H., eds. Fifty Years of Plant Protection in China [in Chinese] (China Agriculture Press, 2003)
- Long-term climate variations in China and global warming signals. J. Geophys. Res. 108, 4614–4626 (2003) , &