Recent genome-wide association studies (GWASs) have identified a locus on chromosome 1p13 strongly associated with both plasma low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) and myocardial infarction (MI) in humans. Here we show through a series of studies in human cohorts and human-derived hepatocytes that a common noncoding polymorphism at the 1p13 locus, rs12740374, creates a C/EBP (CCAAT/enhancer binding protein) transcription factor binding site and alters the hepatic expression of the SORT1 gene. With small interfering RNA (siRNA) knockdown and viral overexpression in mouse liver, we demonstrate that Sort1 alters plasma LDL-C and very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) particle levels by modulating hepatic VLDL secretion. Thus, we provide functional evidence for a novel regulatory pathway for lipoprotein metabolism and suggest that modulation of this pathway may alter risk for MI in humans. We also demonstrate that common noncoding DNA variants identified by GWASs can directly contribute to clinical phenotypes.
At a glance
- Monogenic hypercholesterolemia: new insights in pathogenesis and treatment. J. Clin. Invest. 111, 1795–1803 (2003) et al.
- Heart attacks: gone with the century? Science 272, 629 (1996) &
- Lipid treatment assessment project 2: a multinational survey to evaluate the proportion of patients achieving low-density lipoprotein cholesterol goals. Circulation 120, 28–34 (2009) et al.
- Six new loci associated with blood low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol or triglycerides in humans. Nature Genet. 40, 189–197 (2008) et al.
- Newly identified loci that influence lipid concentrations and risk of coronary artery disease. Nature Genet. 40, 161–169 (2008) et al.
- Genome-wide association study identifies genes for biomarkers of cardiovascular disease: serum urate and dyslipidemia. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 82, 139–149 (2008) et al.
- Common variants at 30 loci contribute to polygenic dyslipidemia. Nature Genet. 41, 56–65 (2009) et al.
- Loci influencing lipid levels and coronary heart disease risk in 16 European population cohorts. Nature Genet. 41, 47–55 (2009) et al.
- Genome-wide association analysis of metabolic traits in a birth cohort from a founder population. Nature Genet. 41, 35–46 (2009) et al.
- Biological, clinical and population relevance of 95 loci for blood lipids. Nature doi:10.1038/nature09270 (this issue) et al.
- Genomewide association analysis of coronary artery disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 357, 443–453 (2007) et al.
- Myocardial Infarction Genetics Consortium. Genome-wide association of early-onset myocardial infarction with single nucleotide polymorphisms and copy number variants. Nature Genet. 41, 334–341 (2009)
- Metabolic origins and clinical significance of LDL heterogeneity. J. Lipid Res. 43, 1363–1379 (2002) &
- Ion mobility analysis of lipoprotein subfractions identifies three independent axes of cardiovascular risk. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 29, 1975–1980 (2009) et al.
- Reversal of small, dense LDL subclass phenotype by normalization of adiposity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 17, 1768–1775 (2009) , , , &
- Genetic variation at chromosome 1p13.3 affects sortilin mRNA expression, cellular LDL-uptake and serum LDL levels which translates to the risk of coronary artery disease. Atherosclerosis 208, 183–189 (2010) et al.
- C/EBP alpha: a critical regulator of genes governing integrative metabolic processes. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 5, 565–570 (1995) , &
- DNA binding specificity of the CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein transcription factor family. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 3891–3896 (1996) , , &
- Design of a C/EBP-specific, dominant-negative bZIP protein with both inhibitory and gain-of-function properties. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 2040–2047 (1996) , , , &
- A dominant-negative inhibitor of CREB reveals that it is a general mediator of stimulus-dependent transcription of c-fos. Mol. Cell. Biol. 18, 967–977 (1998) et al.
- Structural basis for DNA recognition by the basic region leucine zipper transcription factor CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein alpha. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 15178–15184 (2003) , , , &
- Highly efficient generation of human hepatocyte-like cells from induced pluripotent stem cells. Hepatology 51, 297–305 (2010) et al.
- Molecular identification of a novel candidate sorting receptor purified from human brain by receptor-associated protein affinity chromatography. J. Biol. Chem. 272, 3599–3605 (1997) et al.
- The sortilin cytoplasmic tail conveys Golgi-endosome transport and binds the VHS domain of the GGA2 sorting protein. EMBO J. 20, 2180–2190 (2001) et al.
- Sortilin is essential for proNGF-induced neuronal cell death. Nature 427, 843–848 (2004) et al.
- Sortilin is essential and sufficient for the formation of Glut4 storage vesicles in 3T3–L1 adipocytes. Dev. Cell 9, 99–108 (2005) &
- Complete prevention of atherosclerosis in apoE-deficient mice by hepatic human apoE gene transfer with adeno-associated virus serotypes 7 and 8. Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 26, 1852–1857 (2006) et al.
- Expression of cholesteryl ester transfer protein in mice promotes macrophage reverse cholesterol transport. Circulation 116, 1267–1273 (2007) et al.
- Therapeutic silencing of an endogenous gene by systemic administration of modified siRNAs. Nature 432, 173–178 (2004) et al.
- Therapeutic RNAi targeting PCSK9 acutely lowers plasma cholesterol in rodents and LDL cholesterol in nonhuman primates. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105, 11915–11920 (2008) et al.
- A combinatorial library of lipid-like materials for delivery of RNAi therapeutics. Nature Biotechnol. 26, 561–569 (2008) et al.
- The inactivation of the sortilin gene leads to a partial disruption of prosaposin trafficking to the lysosomes. Exp. Cell Res. 315, 3112–3124 (2009) , &
- Association of blood lipids with common DNA sequence variants at 19 genetic loci in the multiethnic United States National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey III. Circ. Cardiovasc. Genet. 2, 238–243 (2009) et al.
- Polymorphisms of the HNF1A gene encoding hepatocyte nuclear factor-1α are associated with C-reactive protein. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 82, 1193–1201 (2008) et al.
- Candidate Gene Association Resource (CARe): design, methods, and proof of concept. Circ. Cardiovasc. Genet. 3, 267–275 (2010) et al.
- Mapping the genetic architecture of gene expression in human liver. PLoS Biol. 6, e107 (2008) et al.
- Supplementary Figures (5.6M)
This file contains Supplementary Figures 1-10 with legends.