The quantum Hall effect takes place in a two-dimensional electron gas under a strong magnetic field and involves current flow along the edges of the sample. For some particle–hole conjugate states of the fractional regime (for example, with fillings between 1/2 and 1 of the lowest Landau level), early predictions suggested the presence of counter-propagating edge currents in addition to the expected ones. When this did not agree with the measured conductance, it was suggested that disorder and interactions will lead to counter-propagating modes that carry only energy—the so called neutral modes. In addition, a neutral upstream mode (the Majorana mode) was expected for selected wavefunctions proposed for the even-denominator filling 5/2. Here we report the direct observation of counter-propagating neutral modes for fillings of 2/3, 3/5 and 5/2. The basis of our approach is that, if such modes impinge on a narrow constriction, the neutral quasiparticles will be partly reflected and fragmented into charge carriers, which can be detected through shot noise measurements. We find that the resultant shot noise is proportional to the injected current. Moreover, when we simultaneously inject a charge mode, the presence of the neutral mode was found to significantly affect the Fano factor and the temperature of the backscattered charge mode. In particular, such observations for filling 5/2 may single out the non-Abelian wavefunctions for the state.
At a glance
- 1997) & Perspective in Quantum Hall Effects: Novel Quantum Liquid in Low-Dimensional Semiconductor Structures (Wiley,
- Chiral Luttinger liquid and the edge excitations in the fractional quantum Hall states. Phys. Rev. B 41, 12838–12844 (1990)
- Edge states in fractional quantum Hall effect regime. Phys. Rev. Lett. 64, 220–223 (1990)
- Composite edges in v = 2/3 fractional quantum Hall effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 2060–2063 (1991) &
- Edge magnetoplasmons in time domain. Phys. Rev. B 45, 3894–3897 (1992) , , , &
- Randomness at the edge: theory of quantum Hall transport at filling v = 2/3. Phys. Rev. Lett. 72, 4129–4132 (1994) , &
- Impurity scattering and transport of fractional quantum Hall edge states. Phys. Rev. B 51, 13449–13466 (1995) &
- Observation of chiral heat transport in the quantum Hall regime. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 086803 (2009) , &
- Quantized thermal transport in the fractional quantum Hall effect. Phys. Rev. B 55, 15832–15837 (1997) &
- Particle-hole symmetry and the Pfaffian state. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 236806 (2007) , &
- Particle-hole symmetry at the v = 5/2 quantum Hall state. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 236807 (2007) , , &
- Long tunnelling contact as a probe of fractional quantum Hall neutral edge modes. Phys. Rev. B 80, 035319 (2009) &
- Charge-statistics separation and probing non-Abelian states. Phys. Rev. B 78, 161304 (2008) &
- Probing the neutral edge modes in transport across a point contact via thermal effects in the Read-Rezayi non-abelian quantum Hall states. Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 106403 (2009) &
- Composite fermions in quantum Hall effect. Rep. Prog. Phys. 60, 889–939 (1997) &
- Universal structure of the edge states of the fractional quantum Hall states. Phys. Rev. B 59, 15323–15331 (1999) &
- Edge tunneling in fractional quantum Hall regime. Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/9809160 (1998) &
- Quantum shot noise in edge channels. Phys. Status Solidi b 243, 3604–3616 (2006)
- Excess quantum shot noise in 2D ballistic point contacts. JETP Lett. 49, 592–594 (1989)
- Nonequilibrium noise and fractional charge in the quantum Hall effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 72, 724–727 (1994) &
- Wave packet approach to noise in multichannel mesoscopic systems. Phys. Rev. B 45, 1742–1755 (1992) &
- Observation of a quarter of electron charge at ν = 5/2 quantum Hall state. Nature 452, 829–834 (2008) , , , &
- Scattering of bunched fractionally charged quasiparticles. Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 216804 (2003) , &
- Edge excitations of paired fractional quantum Hall states. Phys. Rev. B 53, 13559–13582 (1996) &
- Phase transition on the edge of the Pfaffian and anti-Pfaffian quantum Hall state. Preprint at http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.2087v1 (2008) &
- MBE growth of ultra low disorder 2DEG with mobility exceeding 35·106cm2/V-s. J. Cryst. Growth 311, 1658–1662 (2009) et al.
- Unexpectedly large quasiparticles charge in the fractional quantum Hall effect. Phys. Rev. B 81, 161303(R) (2010) et al.
- Shot noise and charge at the 2/3 composite fractional quantum Hall state. Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 236802 (2009) , , , &
- Supplementary Information (157K)
This file contains Supplementary Information and Supplementary Figures S1-S3 with legends.