Quantum many-body systems can have phase transitions1 even at zero temperature; fluctuations arising from Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, as opposed to thermal effects, drive the system from one phase to another. Typically, during the transition the relative strength of two competing terms in the system’s Hamiltonian changes across a finite critical value. A well-known example is the Mott–Hubbard quantum phase transition from a superfluid to an insulating phase2, 3, which has been observed for weakly interacting bosonic atomic gases. However, for strongly interacting quantum systems confined to lower-dimensional geometry, a novel type4, 5 of quantum phase transition may be induced and driven by an arbitrarily weak perturbation to the Hamiltonian. Here we observe such an effect—the sine–Gordon quantum phase transition from a superfluid Luttinger liquid to a Mott insulator6, 7—in a one-dimensional quantum gas of bosonic caesium atoms with tunable interactions. For sufficiently strong interactions, the transition is induced by adding an arbitrarily weak optical lattice commensurate with the atomic granularity, which leads to immediate pinning of the atoms. We map out the phase diagram and find that our measurements in the strongly interacting regime agree well with a quantum field description based on the exactly solvable sine–Gordon model8. We trace the phase boundary all the way to the weakly interacting regime, where we find good agreement with the predictions of the one-dimensional Bose–Hubbard model. Our results open up the experimental study of quantum phase transitions, criticality and transport phenomena beyond Hubbard-type models in the context of ultracold gases.
At a glance
- 2000) Quantum Phase Transitions (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- Cold bosonic atoms in optical lattices. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 3108–3111 (1998) , , , &
- Quantum phase transition from a superfluid to a Mott insulator in a gas of ultracold atoms. Nature 415, 39–44 (2002) et al.
- 2003) Quantum Physics in One Dimension (Oxford Univ. Press,
- 1998) , & Bosonization and Strongly Correlated Systems (Cambridge Univ. Press,
- Commensurate-incommensurate transition of cold atoms in an optical lattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 130401 (2003) , &
- Ground state, spectrum, and phase diagram of two-dimensional incommensurate crystals. Phys. Rev. Lett. 42, 65–67 (1979) &
- Quantum sine-Gordon equation as the massive Thirring model. Phys. Rev. D 11, 2088–2097 (1975)
- Many-body physics with ultracold gases. Rev. Mod. Phys. 80, 885–964 (2008) , &
- A Mott insulator of fermionic atoms in an optical lattice. Nature 455, 204–207 (2008) , , , &
- Metallic and insulating phases of repulsively interacting fermions in a 3D optical lattice. Science 322, 1520–1525 (2008) et al.
- Relationship between systems of impenetrable bosons and fermions in one dimension. J. Math. Phys. 1, 516–523 (1960)
- Tonks–Girardeau gas of ultracold atoms in an optical lattice. Nature 429, 277–281 (2004) et al.
- Observation of a one-dimensional Tonks-Girardeau gas. Science 305, 1125–1128 (2004) , &
- Realization of an excited, strongly correlated quantum gas phase. Science 325, 1224–1227 (2009) et al.
- Exact analysis of an interacting Bose gas. Phys. Rev. 130, 1605–1616 (1963) &
- Feshbach resonances in ultracold gases. Rev. Mod. Phys. 82, 1225–1286 (2010) , , &
- Optimized production of a cesium Bose-Einstein condensate. Appl. Phys. B 79, 1013–1019 (2004) et al.
- Transition from a strongly interacting 1D superfluid to a Mott-insulator. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 130403 (2004) , , , &
- Energy absorption of a Bose gas in a periodically modulated optical lattice. Phys. Rev. A 73, 041608(R) (2006) , , &
- Signatures of the superfluid to Mott-insulator transition in the excitation spectrum of ultracold atoms. N. J. Phys. 8, 160 (2005) &
- Phase diagram for a Bose-Einstein condensate moving in an optical lattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 150604 (2007) et al.
- Strongly inhibited transport of a degenerate 1D Bose gas in a lattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 120403 (2005) et al.
- Superfluid-insulator transition in a moving system of interacting bosons. Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 020402 (2005) , , , &
- Time-dependent currents of one-dimensional bosons in an optical lattice. N. J. Phys. 12, 025014 (2010) , &
- Density matrix renormalization group for disordered bosons in one dimension. Europhys. Lett. 46, 559–564 (1999) , &
- Bosonizing one-dimensional cold atomic gases. J. Phys. B 37, S1–S47 (2004)
- Factorized S-matrices in two dimensions as the exact solutions of certain relativistic quantum field theory models. Ann. Phys. 120, 253–291 (1979) &
- Mass scale in the sine-Gordon model and its reductions. Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 10, 1125–1150 (1995)
- Diffraction of atoms by light: the near-resonant Kapitza-Dirac effect. Phys. Rev. Lett. 56, 827–830 (1986) , &